116 steering rack into a 105

Started by Colin Byrne, June 14, 2012, 09:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin Byrne

Hi guys,
   The next mod to the rally car I'm looking at is replacing the steering box setup with a rack as I'm struggling to get rid of all the compliance within the steering box.  A rack correctly mounted on the front cross member would also improve the structural load paths from the steering forces, another weak spot in the 105's. 
   The first obvious choice is using a rack from an Alfetta so thought I'd get a bit of info first

1.   are there any known problems with the Alfetta racks? How are they in terms of free play? Can they be rebuilt easily?
2.   does anyone know the turns lock to lock and the overall width of the rack?
3.   where's the best place to get my hands on one, I'm probably after the steering column as well

cheers
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Barry Edmunds

Colin

I have got a couple of Giulietta racks if you want to check one out for size, fit etc
Barry

aggie57

Hey Colin,

Two known wear points immediately come to mind. In the centre there is a pad inside the housing under the rack which te rack runs on. It wears a groove on the bottom of the rack around the centre so you get a rattle at straight ahead.

The other one is the bush at either end of the housing that the rack runs through. It wears so again causes a rattle. Early ones were metal, after ones plastic. But replaceable assuming still available.

But have you thought of a power steering rack from a 90/75?  Faster ratio than the non-powered.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Sheldon McIntosh

I can't answer any of your questions, but this...

Quote from: aggie57 on June 14, 2012, 10:20:04 PM
But have you thought of a power steering rack from a 90/75?  Faster ratio than the non-powered.

...is probably good advice.  I've manualised the rack in Ironsides and it's great on the track with 205 section slicks, 2.5 neg camber, and a 320mm steering wheel.  A nightmare to park, but hey....

You're welcome to come and have a drive to test it out.  It's 3.3 turns lock to lock.  I don't know what an Alfetta is, but it's more than that.

Or, I can sell you a Giulietta rack and column for $1000.  Even comes with a complete car so you can get the rack home.

Colin Byrne

I have got a couple of Giulietta racks if you want to check one out for size, fit etc
Thanks barry, might take you up on that

Thanks guys, just the sort of info I was after, I like the sounds of 3.3 turns lock to lock, is the rack much bulkier due to the power steering parts? Or can the actual rack and pinion be swapped into the Alfetta housing?

QuoteOr, I can sell you a Giulietta rack and column for $1000.  Even comes with a complete car so you can get the rack home.

HaHa, classic, not sure I need another car sitting in the carport just yet!

So best place to get a 90/75 rack?
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Colin Byrne on June 15, 2012, 09:06:42 AM
So best place to get a 90/75 rack?

I've got one for $700.  That one comes with a complete car too!!