Notchy gear shift

Started by Sam, May 25, 2012, 12:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

I hope I can explain my self properly with this.

I'm using Redline oil and although its stopped any 2nd gear crunching, I notice the gear shift is considerable more 'notchy' and harder tio put into gear - expecially while the oil is still cool.

In the Alfetta gearbox, there  are little metal balls that are used to lock the selector shaft into gear. They are kept under pressure with a spring and on the outside of the Gearbox there is a shaure head bolt that you can turn to increase or reduce the springs compression on the balls.

I'm assuming if I reduce the compression a nit – can I help to make the shifting less notchy and more smoother?
I guess there is a limit to how much you can decrease the pressure before the box starts jumping out of gear though.

Does anyone know what I 'm talking about here??

Cool Jesus

Hey Sam, forum seems a little quiet on your dilemma so thought I'd chime in.

Those square head bolts aren't adjustable, they're torqued down. I've attached a couple of snapshots from gearbox manuals that may explain what we are talking about. Isn't it always the case, you alleviate one issue to only exacerbate another!!!

I'd start from the simplest and most obvious and progress to the worst case scenario in your diagnoses. The trouble shooter also mentions worn control lever bushes or the springs being fatigued/broken for poor speed engagement.

I'm fairly certain Alfaduk posted something on the Redline oil (perhaps that's why we are here now), I believe there was a little discussion on the pros and cons of transmission lubrication that went with that particular thread too.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Sam

Thanks for your response, I've been away and just noticed it.

And thanks for the diagrams, the second one is precisely the area I was talking about.

In the diagram is talks about 9.x kg , so I suppose there is a recommended  torque,
But from the last time I rebuilt my gearbox, I remember thinking- if the spring was softer the shift would have to be easier -I guess it just physics.
The ball is under a fair bit of compression under that spring, when you change gears, the bull is pushed further up into the spring and then falls into the other 'notch' on the selector shaft.

Anyway it seems like this is a dead end so I'll try experimenting with other oils and see if that helps

Sam,