Soundproofing!!!!! Do you need It?

Started by McAnnik, May 20, 2012, 10:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McAnnik

Well! I followed the similar thread with interest back then(a few weeks ago!). I have just recieved my shipment of "Dynamat" lookalike and have spent the day bunging it in the GTJ (and as you can imagine,I DID strip the interior first!!!!).So, what did I learn? There is no need to blow lots of dough on high priced aftermarket hi tech sound deadeners,The stuff is generic, you can buy it at Bunnings, generally used to seal roofing leaks and suchlike on your house roof and spouting.The sellers of the higher priced product will deny this of course,but I do have facts which I will not go into here at this time.This subject is very technical but easily understood.If you feel you must replace every chip of old hardened deadener on the floor of your project restoration,you will remove maybe 10-20 kilo of old crap and then replace it with about the same weight in 'Modern Technology" The modern stuff was only "developed" because of the Hi Wattage outputs of the latest craze of 5000W output sound systems that stereo crazed Duf' Duf's are fitting these days. It seems that at such high outputs the whole bloody Commodore or whatever vibrates at some incredible rate once you wind the volume up more than 10db, and of course then you can't listen to your morning talkback on ABC with ,Jxx Fxxxx.So! what are we looking for? I replaced my original fitted heavy thick felting because it was soggy wet, weighed in at better than the biggest snapper I ever caught and would have done nasties to my floor pan if I left it there so,I thought to give this stuff a try.I researched the web and yes! you can do well if you want to buy this 'wonder' product. Dont get me wrong! it does work.I got mine on Ebay,35 sq ft for $167 post paid,Aussie dealer in Qld,Instant delivery, no problems,Tile sizes are 500 x650mm,10 of 'em in a box.Good Luck if you follow this course!!!!.......If you need more advice ,Pm if you want......Cheers .........Ian

shane wescott

Just my view but sound deadening should only have one purpose, lessen road noise so you can hear the engine roar :-)

I remember an argument with the people offering "free" sound deadener with a new Alfa GTV. I explained to the sales person that if is lessened the noise of the engine they would be pulling it back out.

He was a little confused and but the good news was it actually enhanced the noise of the engine, there was less under car road noise and more in car surround sound :-)

CAtch ya

Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

pancho

The other benefits are thermal - but this is dependant on where you fit the material - and what it is.