2002 156 JTS REAR DOOR HANDLE REPAIR

Started by PaddyB, May 14, 2012, 01:37:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaddyB

Dear All

I've just purchased the 2002 156 JTS and I need to make a few repairs in order to obtain registration in the ACT.

The external rear right door does not work, the inside rear door handle does work.

I'm hoping someone can explain how I may determine if it's the handle itself, the mechanism inside or the pin and clip?

How do I remove the above to determine what part I need to replace?

The other issues I need to fix to register are:

Oil leak, Engine Control failure light, tyres - keep you posted on these.

Thanks in advance for your help

Cheers

GTVeloce

I'm not familiar with these cars specifically but almost certainly you need to remove the internal door card (skin) to access everything. From there you should be able to see if there is a problem with the handle (less likely) or where the handle joins the mechanism (more likely). Even if it is the door handle you will most likely only be able to remove it from inside as well.

colcol

Like GTVeloce said, you will have to pull out the door trim, the door 'pull' cutout has a bit of rubber about 25mm wide and about 100 mm long, with 'dimples' on it, this just lifts off, exposing 2 cap screws that require a 5 mm allen key to remove, the internal door opener at the top, requires you to remove a plastic cover, [finisher], by using a jewellers screwdriver, to expose the screw to remove the door opener surround, then you have to remove the speaker, you have to 'flip off' the speaker cover by CAREFULLY putting in a trim tool behind the cover and removing it, if its installed properly, you put the trim tool at the bottom, then undo the 4 self tappers, undo and unplug the speaker wiring and remove speaker, undo the 'snibber button' at the top by unscrewing it, then carefully grasp the bottom of the door trim, and start to pull it away from the door, and if it won't pull off, make sure there is nothing holding it,  after that push door trim to top, so it pulls out of glass channel, then there is a watershield that you peel off, and glue it back on later, then you should be able to see the mechanics of the workings of the door locking and unlocking, there is usually a pullrod from the outside door handle, going to the main door lock assembly, it has most likely dislodged, or the door handle itself may have broken, when you see it, it will be obvious, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

PaddyB

Thank you for the prompt responses. I'll give it a go on the weekend and see what I find... Many thanks