Alfas on the Shitbox rally

Started by Stuart Thomson, April 18, 2012, 11:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aggie57

They're great dirt road cars aren't they Sheldon.  The 50/50 balance thing starts to pay dividends and setup of the rear axle, with the centre pivot point at the front of the de dion, is a real help.  I've always found them great tow cars as well - I think for the same reason.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: aggie57 on May 04, 2012, 03:53:55 PM
They're great dirt road cars aren't they Sheldon.  The 50/50 balance thing starts to pay dividends and setup of the rear axle, with the centre pivot point at the front of the de dion, is a real help.  I've always found them great tow cars as well - I think for the same reason.

I was very surprised just how good it was.  Top speed was reasonably about 140km/h on the off-road stuff so that you could still see any obstacles coming up (although we still had a very interesting moment when we came across some sand at 130km/h, I managed to brake to about 100km/h by the time we hit it, but it still got very sideways, both ways....), but I don't think a modern 4wd would be any quicker, and maybe even slower with the higher CofG.  Most importantly the Alfetta could stay at that speed through the corners, and could easily have coped with more speed if we had more notice about hazards.

Absolutely superb, I can't speak highly enough of how well the Alfetta coped with the outback.  Shame it went for $20 then....

redalfaracing

August 4th is the date to put in your diary Sheldon. The Baden Powell Introductory Trial. A novice rally run by the scouts. Can do in a standard car with a 2ns licence. Have a dip. Much like the Challenge of Clubs Trial that Matt Francis and I did a couple of years ago. He had fun, but i think he expected a bit much from his Alfetta. The 2 inches of rain didn't help none either. My GTV6 relished in it.
http://www.vicrally.com.au/eventInfo.php?eventID=461
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Evan Bottcher

My favourite photo from Stu's collection...

Sheldon and I are under Mario trying to patch a fuel line that was smashed by rocks, and Bruno and Giancarlo decided to take a rest...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Stuart Thomson

Notice the whiteness of Bruno's legs.  Everything else that started out white ended up red, except Bruno's legs.

Take Gerry's shirt for example...

Cheers
Stuart