Alfas on the Shitbox rally

Started by Stuart Thomson, April 18, 2012, 11:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Thomson

Hi all,
Follow the link for some great Alfa adventures.
http://www.shitboxrally.com.au/day-4-video-innamincka-to-windorah/

Cheers from the other Winton
Stuart

Evan Bottcher

600km run today, Winton to Undara. Mixed asphalt and dirt, should be a relief after three long days of dirt, rocks, washouts and bull dust. Cairns here we come!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Davidm1600

Great video. Good to have the Alfas feature:)! Can we take it that all are still running, minor electricals of course being par the course. Have fun guys
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Evan Bottcher

All Alfas still going after a surprisingly rough trip today. Lots of rocky unsealed roads and two water crossings. Cairns tomorrow. Who's going to buy back their Alfa I wonder?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Stuart Thomson

Here's the crew in Cairns.

All made it inspite of Cairns' passion for red lights.

Cheers
Stuart

Sheldon McIntosh

Pics of Mario II in Melbourne, and in Cairns.  He was a great car, handled the dusty and dirty roads like a champ.  The only problems we had were due to driving too fast on rocky roads, with a punctured fuel-line, and whacking a rock so hard that we bent the (4mm steel plate) sump-guard up so it was rubbing on the exhaust.  He was getting a little hard to start by day 7, and the clutch felt pretty average on the way through Cairns' 100 red lights, but overall he was an excellent companion for the trip.

It was very disappointing that he only went for $20 at the auction (the two jerry cans in the boot are worth more than that), but I was slightly happier when the new owners told me they were going to khanacross him the next day!!

Overall, it was a bloody fantastic trip, made all the better with a good crew of Alfas along for the ride.  As they read out the list of cars nominated for "least likely to finish" we were all very happy to hear that "all the Alfas" were nominated!!

Congratulations to all the Alfa teams, just goes to show how tough these cars are, and what a bit of preparation can do.  Next years rally is from Adelaide to Fremantle via Uluru.  Planning is already underway for Mario III.....

Sheldon McIntosh

A few pics from Day 3.  Checking over Mario II at Cameron Corner, and then a couple of tackling the sand dunes between Cameron Corner and the Old Strzelecki Track.  We were actually told not to go up the old track because it was too washed out, and to stick to the New Strzelecki Track, but we (and the Two Amigos) took a wrong turning.  Which may have been my fault.....  The track did have a few deep waterholes in it, but we were able to go off the road to get around them.

Sheldon McIntosh

Day 4.  Incredible scenery, and huge changes throughout the day.  This is about as outback as I've experienced.  We saw snakes and dingoes this day, and the Two Amigos had a rally tyre fail in a major way.  Incredibly, the sidewalls are so strong that they were able to support the weight of the car.

This was the day that the cameraman came with us, so you may have seen the video, including great footage of the rally tyre tread rolling away from the car.

Paul Gulliver

Great stuff Sheldon, Thanks for sharing ( where ever you maybe). Interesting to note the outback looked just a touch greener than you would normally think and looked like ther was still a bit of water about. Sad to see Mario only got such a small ammount. Did you think about turning it around and driving it home ??? I thought he may have been a keeper.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Evan Bottcher

Very green indeed!  Even up around Innamincka it was reasonably lush with grass and healthy looking scrub.  One local said he'd never seen it like that before, in 25 years.

I was a little disappointed in the price, but happy that Mario is going to see some good action and not just straight to the wreckers.  We did indeed think about picking it up and driving it home, but was logistically impossible.  Stuart bought back his 90, and Gavin bought the Two Amigos Alfetta.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

Some more roadside repairs... minor stuff really.  The fat boy 90 sounded significantly better after the exhaust rear section fell off somewhere past Cameron Corner.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

The rally was featured on Channel 10's "The Project": http://theprojecttv.com.au/video.htm?movideo_p=39696&movideo_m=179989
Fast forward to 2m10s.  Good coverage of the Alfa team again.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Paul Gulliver

QuoteStuart bought back his 90, and Gavin bought the Two Amigos Alfetta

I would have thought that Mario 2 would have represented a far less risky prospect :D :D :D
Paul Gulliver
Present

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on April 23, 2012, 04:22:01 PM
I would have thought that Mario 2 would have represented a far less risky prospect :D :D :D

Yeah, but we didn't have air-horns.....

And here's Team Fat Boys' 90 after the exhaust section fell off....

Paul Gulliver

QuoteYeah, but we didn't have air-horns
I've listened to that twice i thought it was the water pump talking to you
Paul Gulliver
Present

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J