Finally a sud!

Started by del sud, April 04, 2012, 12:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

del sud

Back in the day (mid 90's) I had a girlfriend who drove a cloverleaf 83 sud, and any chance I got, I would slide into the drivers seat. I have never forgot the feeling of driving that car. It never worked out with whatever her name was, but I could have married that car.

Well now I am the proud owner of a 82 ti, and though it may not have quite the go the cloverleaf did, she is a beauty. White, no rust, original in every way! Engine runs well, no smoke, straight body! Will post some pictures soon.

The bad. knocking cv's, ceased front handbrake levers on the calipers, chip in windscreen and flaky control stalks.

I have got complete reco front drive shafts including the joints sent down from Sydney, and new seals for the calipers.

Any tips for getting to those calipers and what to do with the stalks gratefully received!  :)

Happy to keep this car in original condition, with the exception of looking at a twin carb manifold if one turns up.

I know I'll have to change the belts, go through the basics, look at the water pump etc, but is there any special things I should be doing before registering and opening the throttle a little?

Really I am just getting to know how the sud works, but I have a feeling this may be a long affair.

I have the Haynes manual, is there any that is better?

Like I say, any tips... and thanks for the great forum!

Tim
82 sud ti

del sud

In the garage ;)
82 sud ti

colcol

Hello del sud, what state are you from?, your Sud looks like one that was sold last year in Victoria, somewhere around Ferntree Gully if i remember rightly.
C.V. joints are available off ebay, price and quality vary greatly.
Handbrakes are hopeless on Suds, most unreliable part and hardest to work on, try freeing up cable with WD-40, same calipers as Alfettas, Guiliettas, 75's and 90's.
Control stalks can be purchased new for about $300, i used to have a 'changeover' one that when the one in the car would fail, i would change it over for one i had reconditioned, weak point of car, and they are not easy to change.
The Haynes workshop manual is about the best one you can get, there is a Autobooks one, but not as good as the Haynes one, all the repair procedures in workshop manual.
If the engine is a single carb, the twin carb manifold won't fit, get a complete twin carb engine, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

colcol

Twin carb engines are cheap and plentifull, don't stuff about with a single carby.
Chip in windscreen can be filled with resin at windscreen place, if you replace windsreen, expect to find some rust.
If you buy a twin carb motor replace the 2 cam belts, the 2 cam tensioners, the water pump, and at a stretch, if the motors out, the front and rear timing cover and rear engine oil seals.
Clutches are not a problem with Suds and 33's, however they do wear out, and if you have the gearbox and or engine out, replace the clutch, as they are cheap enough.
The calipers are easy enough to work on, but instead of the pistons moving towards the disc by hydraulic pressure, they use adjustors to move the pistons, the biggest problem with the calipers is removing them and replaceing them, they are hard to get at and you have to remove the handbrake cable, under great tension and you have to undo the brake pipes, and they leak everywhere,Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Evan Bottcher

As Col suggested, don't bother looking for a twin carb manifold/carbs.  Buy a whole Alfa 33 GCL off ebay for $500 and you get the 105hp heads, cams, twin carbs etc.

Great to see a Sud revived!  Please do keep us up to date with progress.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

del sud

Hi Col

I'm in Launceston, I've had the sud for a while now and it looks like it has always had TAS plates, so I don't think it was the same one ColThanks for the advice, I have heard all sorts about the calipers.

I was going to bid on this ebay manifold and carbs the other day, looking at the bolt pattern I thought it would fit, but must admit I didn't know. The seller couldn't tell me, but I think they were 32 or 36 IDF's,  and this manifold after some research (after the auction) on here and other sites is the alquati - I think it would it have fit the single 1.5 engine.

And I don't think I'll see another one, sounds like these are a rare item. And $100 with the carbs was probably the bargain of the year, but I had no idea what I was looking at. I have been kicking myself ever since. Someone please tell me that this is not the case!!!! Or tell me like Evan said the 33 1.5 will be the way to go. Here is the pic, and thanks for the feedback.

Tim (del sud just sounded good because I am south of you guys)
82 sud ti

del sud

Yep,  read the other threads and good advice about the sud/33 changes that is here on the site, and the alquati discussions, thanks again.

82 sud ti