Airbag light on- how much to clear?

Started by JAM87, March 18, 2012, 04:45:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAM87

Hi all,
just a quick qs.

Let my dad take out my 2001 spider today and he moved the chair with the ignition on... now airbag light is on.

How much do you think it would cost to clear the error?

Thanks
John
2001 Alfa Spider V6, 2004 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2L V6, 2012 Abarth 500,

dehne

should be $80 to link it to the diag machine (approx) but that depends on the person used, you may have a more sevre problem like the airbag module at the front of the car is damaged in someway then that gets a bit more costly, ring and ask a club sponser you may get a cheap deal.
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

funniest thing

I had the same prob last week in the wifes 147. i just checked the plugs under the drivers seat were snug and fired up the igntion leaving my foot hard on the brake pedal for about 10 secs after the comp had completed its active checks and the fault light reset.

Brad M

I've been told the airbag light can be set off by a vigorous seat adjustment (in the forward - reverse direction).

Since being told this and being careful with the seats, I haven't had the warning pop up ... In the past I've had the fault cleared when resetting the body control unit (that's another story involving hot days and possessed windows/mirrors).
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Neil Choi

There are connectors underneath the front seats as well on top of rear wheel arch underneath the trunk cover.  If movement occurs within these connectors while starting car, then the AIR BAG warning light goes off.  You need to have the fault reset with the Alfa computer, dealer or one of our Alfa sponsor workshop will do it.  Then you need to get underneath the seat and cable tie that connector solidly to the seat.  With regards to the rear connector, lift up liner and race tape the connector and cables to the panel really well.

Hope this helps.

Neil

John Hanslow

Your friendly alfa mechanic may do it for about $80 seems correct.

This happens with the 147 - do not move the seat with the ignition on.  Now add the 916 spiders to the list.

Cheers
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

JAM87

Thanks guys,

I really appreciate your comments.

John
2001 Alfa Spider V6, 2004 Alfa Romeo GT 3.2L V6, 2012 Abarth 500,

alphahall

Sorry to dredge up an old thread.  I've got this problem yet again on my 147.  Having been told by Monza Motors last time they serviced the car that this was caused by moving the seat with the ignition on, I have sternly told the other drivers not to do this, but that only lasted two weeks.  >:(

Now, I've read about using a device called an OBD2 to plug in to a dedicated (and apparently standard!) socket, and this can be interfaced to an app on a phone or tabled (or PC), to read diagnostic codes, and reset warning light statuses including the airbag.

Before I lash out $5 or something on an OBD unit on fleabay, has anyone tried this?

bonno

Hi alfahall
I would suggest that the $5 unit will not be able to clear ABS and Air Bag lights. The hand held scanner at $31.50 is not able to do refer to Question and Answers at the following link https://www.gearbest.com/obd-diagnostic-tools/pp_217650.html?
Much more expensive units such as the one at the following link will be able to erase Air Bag and ABS warning lights.
http://www.lightinthebox.com/autel-autolink-al619-abs-srs-obdii-can-diagnostic-tool_p1225801.html?currency=AUD&litb_from=bing_shopping&utm_source=bingshopping&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bingshopping
Suggest that a simple way might be to disconnect – ve battery terminal for ½ hour, then reconnect as per previous post at the following link 
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=4149.msg21987#msg21987
cheers
bonno

Citroënbender

The "disconnect battery" approach doesn't work for all Airbag/SRS modules in the 147, certainly on the earlier ones, once the fault is logged the warning lamp stays lit while driving - a rego fail in NSW.

I believe it (the battery off trick) may work on later cars, some marques will change a logged fault from current to historic after a certain number of startups without the fault present.

Berridale

Working on a 916 GTV.
Well the difficult thing is to find somebody who is honest and wants to fix the problem , not just take your money.
Fiat-Alfa diag set up on your laptop with a vag cable will get you into the car's computer.

However i still can't get the DTC pane to operate?
Anyone know what i need to do?

bazzbazz

You need an adapter cable to read the airbag.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

Beatle

Bazz had reset the light on my 156 just prior to my purchase.    The light has now decided to come on again, but it is random.  It resets itself about every third trip....!
I have a cheap OBD reader ($5.00 is ridiculous, it'll cost at least $8.00 for a decent unit...  ;)) but yet to trying a bulk code clearance to see if it goes away more permanently (after checking all plugs of course).
I'm quickly learning to ignore the light  :o
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

bonno

Hi Beatle
More than likely your scan tool/OBD reader will not clear Air Bag light (refer to manual that came with unit and or earlier post above). I have had success clearing the Air bag light by disconnect/reconnect  the plug yellow & orange connectors located within the boot on RHS guard (PS Ensure to disconnect battery prior attempting this procedure).   

bazzbazz

You need an adapter cable to use with the OBD Adapter/Dongle to connect to the Airbag ECU.

You cannot connect to the Airbag ECU with just the OBD Adapter/Dongle.

The connectors that bonno is referring to are for the Side Curtain Airbags.

Beatle, the cause of the error with your 156 was the passenger seat airbag connector under the seat, not saying that's the issue now
but at least you now know.
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au