Phillip Island Classic March 2012

Started by Evan Bottcher, March 12, 2012, 12:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

We had a great family day out yesterday at the classic.  Watched from MG and from Siberia, then joined the luncheon for half the afternoon and finally watched from the outside of turn 12.  Lots of action!  I took some average photos with my point and shoot...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Evan Bottcher

Jack was thrilled to be given the opportunity to sit in the Talbot-Lago grand prix car!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Evan Bottcher

I took this little snip of the Groups A & C cars coming through Siberia.  Great to see the Ignis car out there again!

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Neil Choi

ACTION.  Unfortunate Group S race 4 crash at the end of lap 1.  Our mate Bryan Taylor in the red Porsche.

hmd

Neil,

That's race 3 and BT is all fine aside from one bruised toe and one stiff shoulder from the HANS.

Evan Bottcher

That's great news!  I'd heard he was going to be okay but wasn't sure the extent of injuries.  Bloody terrifying crash.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

lightyear

I saw the crash as i was heading toward the gate at the time. Worst crash i have seen.

Neil Choi

Neil Choi

My near miss.

Yellow flag spoilt my start.  Then very focussed on exiting turn 12 fast for an overtake, very very lucky for the near miss, turned very religious then, lucky that Nick Taylor didn't hit me.

Ray Pignataro

Neil lucky on so many levels, looked like good fun unti lthe accident

lightyear

That was close Neil.  You would be looking at the car in front and trying to get a good run onto the straight, and then you see brake lights, arghhh.

alfagtv58

Quote from: hmd on March 12, 2012, 05:24:09 PM
Neil,

That's race 3 and BT is all fine aside from one bruised toe and one stiff shoulder from the HANS.

That's great news hmd, I heard he had broken his arm, I'm glad thats not true.

It was a frightening incident, I will post some footage from my in car tonight.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Evan Bottcher

I see some of the photos are up on sdpics.com - none of the Sc cars yet though.
http://www.sdpics.com/cgi-bin/e-store/index.cgi?direct=8000~Motor_Sport/9000~Cars/06~Historic_Racing/62~9-11_March_2012_-_PHILLIP_ISLAND_HISTORICS

I have a passing infatuation with Bill Magoffin's "other" race car on the weekend, shown in the attached borrowed picture.

Quoting the owner:
"GTAm was built by Autodelta to group 2 specs in March – May 1976 but with an injected 2L (Spica) like US cars.  Other cars were converted from the handful ( estimates vary from 12-25) of road cars brought in to homologate with parts supplied by Alfa subsidiary Autodelta Australia. Run by Alfa as the works entry at Bathurst in '76 with John Leffler and Richard Carter."
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Paul Gulliver

QuoteI have a passing infatuation with Bill Magoffin's "other" race car on the weekend, shown in the attached borrowed picture

Your not alone there Evan, i had a good look at the car on Friday. I thought the original Simmons wheels looked great. The size of the rear brakes would also get most of the group s guys wishing. Overall  the  quality of the restoration is outstanding. I also managed to catch up with Rob Panetta who did most of the work on the car . I know Rob reads this web site every morning instead of newspapers so hopfully he can pipe up with a few more detailed insights   
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

alfagtv58

Quote from: alfagtv58 on March 13, 2012, 10:09:40 AM
I will post some footage from my in car tonight.

OK, I may not be posting my in car footage tonight as I'm having 'issues' with youtube and google accounts and passwords and linking them and.....I need a teenager to show me how to do it.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti