Mito QV gear changing

Started by AlfaQueen, February 01, 2012, 09:54:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlfaQueen

Hi,
Can anyone help please. I just purchased a brand new 2011 Mito QV and its my firs time driving an Alfa. I noticed from standstill to 1st gear its quite tight to change and also from 1st to 2nd gear the same. Other gears are all smooth. Is this normal for a brand new Mito? it has only 20kms on it.... Please help!

colcol

Manual gearchange?, it will take a few hundred kls for the synchromesh to bed in, then it will free up somewhat, also, when cold the oil is a bit thick [just like me!] and it will take a few kays to warm up, just don't try to force it in as you will put excessive wear on the synchros and the shifting mechanics, congrats on such a stylish car, hope you enjoy your Alfa ownership, as i have for 26 years, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

AlfaQueen

Thanks Colin for the info.. Yes its a 6 speed manual... I was concerned about this, as last night I read on some UK forum about the Mito QV gear troubles in the 2010-2011 models. Im going to run it in smoothly and see how it goes... I sure am driving a stylish car... Ill never go back to any other model but ALFA! lol...

ACE

AlfaQueen,

Here is the perfect opportunity to take your Mito for a run:

Southern Highlands Wines Italian Festival - Feb 24

details are on the AROCA NSW web site - RHS.

enjoy!

Ace

AlfaQueen

Thanks Ace, that sounds great...

MightyMitoQV

Hi Alfa Queen,

Just happened to be on here looking at what AROCA NSW are doing for the upcoming canberra run and noticed your post.

I've previously posted a similar topic with various replies on the AUSALFA website.

I have a 2010 Mito QV and the change into first can sometimes (randomly) be quite hard to shift into... Embarrassingly so when your at the front queue of the traffic lights!!! ::)

I'm up to around the 18000km mark and the problem still randomly persists...Can happen at different times of day (ie: Temp) and length of running (around to the shops or on a trip down the south coast)... It'll be hesitant to change into first for a couple of times then comes good for another 1000kms or so??!!

Synchro was something also mentioned to me but the random nature leads me to believe it is something else... not that i've spoken to anyone at Alfa about it!

One response on the other forum was that they had a hard time getting into gears and was becoming harder... Back to the dealership and they found a chunk of plastic within the gear linkages??!!

Another response was that reverse was also a problem to engage (Standard Mito)... My only issue is SOMETIMES going back into first gear when i'm at a standstill.... All other upshifts and downshifts are fine

Sorry if i haven't given you a solution but just know you're not alone!!! ;D
1988 33 1.7ie
2010 Mito QV

colcol

Sometimes when it is hard to get into first gear it is because the teeth on the gears are not lined up, you are stopped and the gears are not moving, so try letting the clutch out for a second and this will move the gear so the teeth will line up, only happens when stopped, fishing for 1st gear, difficult selection of reverse is the same as 1st gear, gears are stopped and teeth are not lined up, try letting the clutch out for a second to move the gear so that the gear will move so it will line up and go in, for reverse, the gearbox engages another gear to reverse the flow of power, the reverse gear has a taper on the gear profile to ease the gear engagement process, it is important that you don't force it into gear or grind the gear in, as this will knock off all the taper on reverse gear ruining it, and having a continued difficult engagement, and creating plenty of swarf in gearbox, causing damage, in the olden days, they used to change the oil in the gearbox, after it had run in, good idea to change gearbox oil at i reckon 80,000klms, as the gearbox becomes contaminated with bits of gearbox, hope this helps, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

paul.reid.1806

Our Mito QV 6 speed has the exact same problem. Randomly you cant select 1st gear from a standstill. Lance Dixon the dealer acknowledge the issue but wont do anything. Its incredibly frustrating to drive to the point I'd never touch another Alfa or go near Lance Dixon again. Its got to be a synchro issue surely. Not happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mick A

Quote from: colcol on February 02, 2012, 08:21:00 PM
Manual gearchange?, it will take a few hundred kls for the synchromesh to bed in, then it will free up somewhat, also, when cold the oil is a bit thick [just like me!] and it will take a few kays to warm up, just don't try to force it in as you will put excessive wear on the synchros and the shifting mechanics, congrats on such a stylish car, hope you enjoy your Alfa ownership, as i have for 26 years, Colin.

Do you have a Mito Colin? How can you be sure this is the problem?

Modern Synchromeshes are not like those in your 33, and a new vehicle with a modern gearbox shouldn't be that difficult to get into gear.

I haven't driven a Mito so I can't comment much more than what I have.

Cheers.

colcol

When stopped at the lights, the synchros don't work as nothing is moving, so just let the clutch out a bit to allow a rotation of shaft and gear so they will line up, but don't force it as you will grind off the lead in on the gear to allow engagement.
Mind you it could also be a cable out of adjustment or selector fork out of alignment on the selector rod, causing under selection of 1st gear.
Driven a MiTo, and liked it, but have never had a gearbox apart in one, Colin.