Alfetta as a track car?

Started by Engineer, February 01, 2012, 09:32:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

Last year I went to Sandown to watch the v8's and when the classis cars came on I saw a 1750. Long story short I wanted one, it was too expensive then I saw an alfetta. The thing I want to know is, will it be a good track car? My plan is to strip it out to make it as light as possible, service the engine and put bucket seats in it. It would be good to get some info from someone who owns an alfetta instead of just reading the Wikipedia article.

Paul Gulliver

If your not doing anything on Saturday come down to the club sprint at Philip Island. I was looking at the program at the office today and i think i counted 17 Alfetta's  in all categories entered for the event. You will learn more  down there in a couple of hours than you will ever learn reading & surfing the net.

I will post the program tomorrow for you. If you come dowm make sure you introduce yourself

I have got a road registered 1979 GTV Alfetta Twin Spark (car 43 for the weekend) and i have got to tell you.  Philip Island on a nice sunny day in an Alfa is just about as much fun as you can have whilst you have still got your pants on. 
Cheers

Gully
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Paul Gulliver

Bump,

Whilst not a GTV some thing like this could get you started in motor racing for a very modest budget.  Just ask Mat Francis.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alfa-Romeo-Alfetta-2-0L-1984-4D-Sedan-5-SP-Manual-2L-Twin-Carb-/280817766532?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item41620b1084
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on February 01, 2012, 10:29:57 PM

I have got a road registered 1979 GTV Alfetta Twin Spark (car 43 for the weekend) and i have got to tell you.  Philip Island on a nice sunny day in an Alfa is just about as much fun as you can have whilst you have still got your pants on. 
Cheers

Gully

Huh?  You're supposed to keep your pants on?  I'm going about this all wrong, it appears.

Quote from: Engineer on February 01, 2012, 09:32:51 PM
The thing I want to know is, will it be a good track car?

That would depend on how you define good, but they're certainly a lot of fun to go club sprinting in.  If you're looking for outright wins in open racing, maybe not so good.

dehne

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on February 01, 2012, 10:36:36 PM
Bump,

Whilst not a GTV some thing like this could get you started in motor racing for a very modest budget.  Just ask Mat Francis.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Alfa-Romeo-Alfetta-2-0L-1984-4D-Sedan-5-SP-Manual-2L-Twin-Carb-/280817766532?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item41620b1084

hey stop sharing this, im trying to get it on the cheap, i have a need to go back to where the passion for alfas started
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Evan Bottcher

Gully has it right.  If you haven't done any motorsport before, come to Saturday's Phillip Island sprint, or to Winton on March 4th - and see the types of cars we run, the level of preparation (or lack thereof), and the fun being had.  Say hello to folk and ask them questions - everyone will be happy to have a chat.

An Alfetta will make a great track car for club sprints, next step is the 6-hour relay, next step is the East coast challenge racing (half-cage, AASA passport).  Only if you want to go further into improved production, Group N/S historics, or sports sedans you might find the Alfetta lacking.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Neil Choi

That Alfetta sedan 2L looks pretty good, suspect it won't take much to get it sprint ready as a standard car.  Worthwhile getting.  The gearbox problem is an easy and cheap fix, get it.

But beware, this kind of fun sucks all your money and erodes your marriage (that is if you are married), and as you go faster and better, the more money you will need and less time for the wife.

My advice start slow, don't be a hero (or you WILL kill yourself or car) and go as fast as your wallet lets you.  At whatever level, you will have fun.  An Alfetta is a lot of fun and lots can be done, $$$ dependent of course.

Regards
Neil

hmd

Quote from: Jekyll and Hyde on February 01, 2012, 10:39:32 PM
Huh?  You're supposed to keep your pants on?  I'm going about this all wrong, it appears.

I must try racing without my pants on see if I can go faster  ;D

four90s

I presume (hope) you disabled your in-car camera for those sessions!

Steve
Adelaide
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

Neil Choi

Quote from: hmd on February 02, 2012, 11:56:11 AM
Quote from: Jekyll and Hyde on February 01, 2012, 10:39:32 PM

I must try racing without my pants on see if I can go faster  ;D

Mmmmm, freeballing, interesting, must go faster........

Beatle

Quote from: dehne on February 01, 2012, 11:07:57 PM
hey stop sharing this, im trying to get it on the cheap, i have a need to go back to where the passion for alfas started

Well it looks like it'll end badly.  I'm very interested in this car too.................  ;)
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Engineer

I'm not a mechanic nor do I have any racing experience but I know a little bit on each topic, i want to know if it's worthwhile bothering with an alfetta gtv as a project car to turn into a track car. I would love a gtv6 but on car sales they are a bit pricey.
Can someone give me a guess at the price for a 2.0 and a v6 gtv?
I'm not bothered about the interior conditions as it would be ripped out to shed weight, just as long as there is not rust and the car is mechanically fine.
Also if you know the weight of the cars as through looking online I've found values from 999kgs-1250kgs. And if you have ever driven one please tell me what it's like.

Neil Choi

Easiest option is to buy a car that is already prepared and set up.  

Cheaper and easier in the long run.

Again, start slow and easy.

Neil

Caveat:  I know nothing.

aggie57

Quote from: Engineer on February 02, 2012, 05:41:04 PM
I'm not a mechanic nor do I have any racing experience but I know a little bit on each topic, i want to know if it's worthwhile bothering with an alfetta gtv as a project car to turn into a track car. I would love a gtv6 but on car sales they are a bit pricey.
Can someone give me a guess at the price for a 2.0 and a v6 gtv?
I'm not bothered about the interior conditions as it would be ripped out to shed weight, just as long as there is not rust and the car is mechanically fine.
Also if you know the weight of the cars as through looking online I've found values from 999kgs-1250kgs. And if you have ever driven one please tell me what it's like.

As the guys say best to go down to PI on Saturday.  If you say a GTV6 is a bt pricey then consider that the initial purchase price is a relatively small part of the overall cost.  Having said that the "best value" GTV is the early plastic bumper, splt dash 2.0 from around 1981-83.  Nobody really wants them, they are ineligable for historic events and weigh a bit more than the early cars.

Yes, most people who are responding to your questions have a lot of experience building and racing GTV's.  Many of them will be at PI this weekend. They are fun cars when set up properly, not that powerful so hard to get into a lot of trouble, plenty of meat around the driver so when you do there is a lot of metal to help soften the blow, and there is a hell of a lot of hard earned experience and knowledge around to help you avoid making the same mistakes as people who have gone before.

Take Neil's advice - buy one that's been prepared.  Always, always, always cheaper than building one yourself.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

116gtv

A stock engined GTV6 won't be any faster than a 4, so stick to the 4 is my 2 cents worth...