Heater tap replacement/repair

Started by GTVeloce, March 14, 2024, 09:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

My heater tap has finally decided to piddle on my left foot. In the short term (and cos I haven't needed the heater while it's hot) I just put a ball valve inline to stop the flow but as we come into winter I really need a heater.

How have people dealt with this in the past?

I found this for sale which could be a good solution but pulling the dash out to access the heater box is a big job so if I can avoid it somehow would be nice.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/116091145249?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11304.m43.l3160&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=58519babe61e4afa87a725d6e5f4127d&bu=44806646468&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20240313022323&segname=11304

GTV-074

Gee, I don't envy you (touch wood, i don't have to do mine soon!)

I changed the heater tap years ago on a 75 i had at the time and I did it in situ, didn't remove anything (console, dash etc.) and it was hell.

My current 75 works ok, but i have a spare ready for when it needs to be done and this time i'll do the needful as they say.

Do a search on this particular forum/chat and put in 'heater', you will get a few threads to read up on.

Some of the pics appear to have gone missing unfortunately.

Not sure on the state of your car but some of the threads put up a good case for fixing things whilst its
apart. As usual it'll be a bit of project creep!

I mean that spare part would cover off the tap and the radiator but needs a fair bit of disassembly on your part.

I have a couple of files/pdf's on the tips to remove the console, if you need them.

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

john m

I've just replaced the one my GTV6. I removed one off my '84 Giulietta, exactly the same but fitted on the opposite side of the heater box to the V6. Still to get the second 3mm nut on the upper flange, very tight for space. I've heard that Beninca Motors have a CNC repro in metal. Someone on the alfabb.com mentioned adapting one from the MGB.

https://thewedgeshopstore.com/heater-valve-mga-mgb/
Now
84: GTV6 White-stock
84: Giulietta Red-club sprints
69: GTV1750 Red-on blocks
Then
71: Berlina 2000 man.-UK import

GTVeloce

Thanks for the replies guys. Beninca's is close by so I will stop by and ask them about the repos.

I have recently rebuilt my GTV heater box and removing the dash and heater box is much easier than the 75. I also rebuilt my 75 heater box about 7 years ago as the fan had seized. I didn't touch the tap as I figured to leave alone something working well. My concerns about doing it in situ (besides the difficulty) is the potential for damage to the heater core. Or maybe it could be reaching end of life anyway. Has anyone found that the heater matrix fails?

But getting the dash off the 75 was not fun either.

MD

Install the HVAC controller in the engine bay with cable. Put it where it should have been all along.HVAC Controller.jpg
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

GTVeloce

Interesting idea MD. I have put a ball valve inline in the engine bay already; wouldn't be hard to change it to this type of controller. Running the cable might be tricky though. I would want to keep it operating via the original control knob on the heater box. Need to have a look under the dash and see what the space is like.

Other options are move up MD's way where you just don't need a heater or convert the system to a climate control system with no heater tap. The matrix is constantly fed coolant and airflow is controlled via a blend door. Or maybe not...