Alpine Chapter extra ...

Started by ACE, January 26, 2012, 06:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACE

Howdy,

My first memory of an Alfa was in Adelaide in the late sixties, it was a coupe. I used to see it quite often as it belonged to my mate's Dad's mate. It was green – or maybe I was (in more ways than one). I never got to go in it, I just remember how stylish it looked – and from the stories I heard, it must have gone pretty well too. Well in those days I had realistic aspirations and figured an Alfa was out of reach, but I had a penchant for a Mini (Cooper S of course).

But cars and licences were still a few years off. When I did finally get a "sports" car it was a Spitfire, the first of many – but don't tell. Never did get a Mini, but it didn't matter as I had a lot of fun with the Spitties, most were the 1147cc variety - and they taught me a lot about driving too. (Just a moment while I wipe the tear away .... Thanks, that's better.) I recall a few MSCA bouts at Winton hoping that one day I might catch one of those GTVs, but instead, spent my time "dicing" with Spridgets - that was FUN!

Then the kids came along and the sports cars went away - replaced by a people mover for the next couple of decades. But recently I got my hands on a 75, it's our "second" car but it's also my daily drive. I really enjoy it and as a result heard about the forum from another 75 afficionardo - Mr Alpine Chapter himself.

Anyway that's why I'm here – and hopefully I'll learn a bit more about Alfas too (like how to catch a GTV at Winton? Nah, probly jus dreamin').

Oh yeah they call me "Ace", most of the time anyway - but probably because they think I'm not  ;)

Ciao.

bonkfrog

Welcome Ace
It's always interesting to hear how we got hooked on Alfas. Hope to see you at Winton in the 75, or at one of our Alpine Chapter tours/winery trips/beerups!

Bonkfrog
Current: Alfetta GTV 2.0
Past: GTJ1300 (2l conversion), Giulia Supers, Giulia 1600TI

GTVeloce

Welcome Ace! I'm sure Mr Alpine Chapter will be able to entice you come on one of the most enjoyable drives through the high country in your 75. You didn't mention which model you have?

ACE

Hey Messrs bonkfrog and GTVeloce,

Thanks for the warm welcome  :)

I'd love to get back to Winton, but not to chase GTVs. I reckon the only thing I could catch now is a cold in the pits. But I've been toying with the idea of flag waving ... yesterday was Oz Day after all!

I actually dropped in to the circuit on the way to Melbourne last year - we were going past and well it was so close, so I was allowed to stop for a quick look - the first visit for many many years. The circuit has changed a bit, but it looks like it might still have that magic. It was the Friday before the 6Hour, and there were a couple of Alfas out practicing - a red 105 GTV and a creamy coloured Alfetta GTV. It was the 105 GTVs that I could never catch all those years ago, and that red one convinced me that I probably never would! It was pretty impressive.

I saw a copy of Cross & Serpent last week - what a good mag that is!
I'm guessing that it might have been you that featured in that one too Mr bonkfrog? Great article and your GTV looks lovely - of course for the couple in the pic, it goes without saying ;-)

Mr GTVeloce, its probably fair to say that MAC has just about got me hooked already. The tours that he has arranged in March, to the Snowies, and particularly in June, the Transaxle & Log Fires weekend, sound sensational - I reckon I might have to make a big effort to meet up with you guys.

Oh yeah, my 75 is only a V6 ;-)

Cheers,
Ace.

agent86

Hi Ace,
          Good to have you on board. Dont let the others fool you, if you have a V6 you are on the right track just a bit mistaken with the gearbox in the wrong end! Any way look forward to catching up with the growing band of Alpine Chapter members together we can make Kaos!
Cheers 86
Current Alfa's/etc
1998 GTV 3.0 V6 Tropical Green
2003 BMW 320i Touring
Priors
1974 Piper Yellow Berlina 2000 
1970 Red Berlina 1750 won best Alfa sedan at 2007 Auto Italia ACT
1968 Burgundy Berlina Mk1
1970 Navy Berlina
1970 White Berlina
1968 White Berlina Mk1 full Webasto roof

ACE

Mr Alpine Chapter himself, hello. I am honoured!

You told me I should have a look at the forum, and here I am! And I'm thoroughly enjoying the experience, such a genuine and friendly group.

Bit worried about your description of Ken (Thunder Bird 5?) though ... ? I'm sure he must be a wonderful and very tolerant fellow to associate with a bunch of Alfa cranks nuts ;-) I'll keep a look out for a UHF - sounds like a lot of fun.

Hi Agent86 (is there a 99 too ? I hope so. Of course the real one was just gorgeous.)
Thanks and I hope these guys aren't foolin' cos they sound like a pretty good bunch to know.
As for the "...gearbox at the wrong end..." ? I reckon that was the problem with the people mover!
Got it all sorted now - just took me a few more decades than most of you guys ;)

Sounds like the next tour will be a blockbuster, so hope I can make it.

Cheers,
Ace.