GROUP BUY [MEL] - ALLOY UNDERTRAY - a must for lowered cars!

Started by wankski, January 07, 2012, 08:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wankski

nope.. can u take a photo? i can tell u if it's the right one... all v6 trays are the same... the JTS and TS trays differ...

155 lover

The photos are too big to attach from my phone, however I've just visited the mechanic and he is right. Because the zeatek undertray doesn't have the front lip (its flat), the metal air con line bulges and is leaving big scratches on the tray. When the car is running the vibration causes worse scratches. The tray can be fitted, but not without avoiding these lines touching the tray. My guess is that most people fit them and dont worry about the rubbing - however over time I think this will cause a hole in either the air con or oil lines, or the undertray. I'm a bit miffed because the lip that is on the moulded one was obviously not thought of in designing this tray. This is a problem for the 147gta at least.

I'm speaking to a panel beater about knocking out some cups for the lines to sit nicely in, but id be interested to hear from anyone with a v6 if they have since checked the tray and noticed rubbing/scratching
79' Alfetta 2000
74' Spider
03' 147 GTA

wankski

i do have a v6 i don't have this issue... you can email me the photo...

wankski at hotmail dot com

155 lover

Just FYI i wrote to the guy at alfastumper and this is the reply I got:

I understand the problem you report.   You do have the correct tray for your 147 GTA. This problem stems from a small difference in the way your individual car was assembled or possible reassembled after a repair. While i am aware of the problem, it only exisits on a small percentage of the GTA models. From what i have learned over the years, mainly 147 GTA models.  The 156 GTA, 147 GTA, and GT 3.2 all uses the same tray, and is in theory identical, as it uses the same engine, gearbox, aux components and sub frame. For unknown reasons some oil cooler and A/C coolers are positioned 3-5 mm lower then the majority, , which causes the pipes to come into contact with the tray.  The whole cooling system can be repositioned at the brackets.(lifted upward a bit) or you may opt to use a ball point hammer to make an indent in the tray. (alloy is quite flexible) or simply to cut holes in the tray. (this will cause oil and AC lines to be exposed.

The fix is a relative simple and straight forward job, so I would hope your mechanic is able to solve it?

Anyway, I'm a bit unhappy with his response - the fact that they know of this problem "mainly" with the 147  GTA to me suggests that it is a 147 GTA specific thing - it has a smaller engine bay (I assume) than the GT or 156 GTA and therefore the engine is more squashed in - meaning some of the lines sit a bit lower than in other cars - this is my theory anyway. And it's not a small area that has to be knocked out, it is going to be something that is at least 10cm x 10cm and it will have to be at least 10mm deep to allow for the vibration of the engine. The moulder undertray has quite a steep lip at the front to allow for these lines and I'm suprised they haven't allowed for it similarly on the aluminium one.

Anyway I think this will be a 147GTA issue for these under trays - nice product, good quality, but for the 147 GTA, allow a few $ for a panel beater to modify the tray to fit the bulging air con and oil lines.
79' Alfetta 2000
74' Spider
03' 147 GTA

Brad M

Has repositioning the oil line/air conditioning hose been explored on your car?

I have one of these under trays and will it soon be fitted (when I get off my butt and book it in for a service), I'll kep an eye on your concerns and try and get some pics.

These trays are about $200 delivered from OS (in a bulk order), which is a fair sight cheaper than other under trays options.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

155 lover

Repositioning those lines would be quite a bit of work. Its a very nice undertray, just wish I'd known and could have allowed for some panel beating work!
79' Alfetta 2000
74' Spider
03' 147 GTA

wankski

i don't really agree soz.

the gt was a coupe version of the 147 down to the canbus system. they would have the same or very similar bay size...

i think the tray is excellent and the 4 ppl i had the trays delivered for fitted it without this issue... this includes a gt v6.

alfa varies things. I wanted to import the alu sele paddles as they are greatly superior but guess what i found? alfa varied the pods without rhyme nor reason making a universal fitment impossible.

the whole point of the tray is increased clearance for lowered cars. it's actually only 20mm higher clearance at the front and around 40mm at the rear... what you are suggesting would eliminate more than half the clearance gain for all v6 owners.... again 4 outta 4 didn't have this problem but they are all lowered.

all i can say is i rate the product 8.5/10.... if price is considered, 9.5/10.

the gb price was $200, u can't get an aussie under the car for that money! and this tray isn't made in the third world, but laser cut in denmark. i for one praise stumper for even making these available. crap plastic tray price from Au Alfa? try upwards of $400. your choice.

I have no commercial relationship with stumper.

155 lover

I agree its a great product - especially for the price. However they should probably be up front in buying that some models require a slight modification. At least then I would have known from the get go.
79' Alfetta 2000
74' Spider
03' 147 GTA

Max

Hi guys
I'm new to this forum but am interested in an alloy undertray for my 147gta.
Any news as to whether there's enough interest for a second shipment?
Max

John Hanslow

Stuart Thompson in Vic organised production of a few carbon fibre undertrays for the V6 but were a bit more expensive than the $200 price range.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

wankski

Quote from: Max on March 19, 2012, 12:48:26 AM
Hi guys
I'm new to this forum but am interested in an alloy undertray for my 147gta.
Any news as to whether there's enough interest for a second shipment?
Max

i'm not organising another one... it doesn't make that much sense and pick up is a pain... the group buy meant a saving of 35-40 bux, but they had to pick up from me... not really worth it as stumper has excellent shipping to your door.

item too large to ship interstate economically (would exceed savings)... that said if someone is game to organise and 3-4 others want in and are willing to PU go for it!

wankski

Quote from: John Hanslow on March 19, 2012, 04:52:09 PM
Stuart Thompson in Vic organised production of a few carbon fibre undertrays for the V6 but were a bit more expensive than the $200 price range.
that's cool  8)

bix

My undertray from Stumper cost 648DKK or around AUD108.00 in shipping for the single item.

Max

I contacted Stuart Thomson a few weeks ago about the kevlar undertrays. He said the guy who made them for him last time is overseas at the moment but wants to try and get him to make some more when he gets back in a few months.
If that falls through i might just order one from Alfa Stumper direct.

Brad M

Quote from: Brad M on March 09, 2012, 06:07:51 AM
I have one of these under trays and will it soon be fitted (when I get off my butt and book it in for a service), I'll kep an eye on your concerns and try and get some pics.

No pics, but had similar issues to "155 lover" the left side had some spacers installed to avoid the rubbing and the bending of metal. 
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067