Ill fitting rubbers!!!! Oooohhh! the pain!!!

Started by McAnnik, December 28, 2011, 10:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McAnnik

Well!   It's been a while since this topic had some air play! I thought I had better add a little more info for those of rubber fitting bent!!!!. O.K! whats new is not!! I had been thinking for a while on a better method than Factory to resist  rainwater penetration between  outer furry strip and wind up side windows on 105 GT'S. (To stop excess water defeating the lack of sheet plastic , that you SHOULD HAVE fitted on the inner doors under the door cards and stuffing totally your door cards!)  Rather than the original type of furry stuff that you can get, I have opted for the more modern type of razor edge scraper style which is very effective at keeping water out but, will not suit the conkers people, however,it works very well. Easily fitted to your own outer stainless steel furry strip holder, once you have got it removed, (" thats another story"). Available from Scott's Old Auto Rubber in Oakleigh, Vic. Check their Website. It comes in 2.4 metre lengths, costs about fifty bucks and needs to be cut to shorter pieces for transport via post, (or pick it up yourself,) it has a steel stiffening insert moulded in and doesn't bend  easily.You will need to be prepared to lose a little length, or buy two lengths and have enough to do three cars,  you only need about 660mm for each side for a GT. The catalogue reference # is 216.014. the guy knows what you want!  P.S. Don't forget to renew the plastic skin under your door card! Cheap, from Bunnings! and stick it up under the inner door frame, not on the outer side under the door card as original! (Thanks to "Pancho" for that basic suggestion!) Pain in the bum to do it that way ,BUT, no water will get in to stuff up your expensive new "dunnit yourself" door trims! ....Thats all folks.........for the moment!!...................................Cheers

alfafarm

Hi  My two bobs worth on the plastic under the door card make up pieces of sheet with enough too stick at top edge silicone is good on clean surfaces ,cut and trim three other edges to tuck in to the various shapes of openings with enough length to stay in without fouling anything. This way you don't need to rely on the bottom edge being water tight. Then by all means put a large piece over the whole of the card . Also worth using the door handle seal that late 2l had needs a bit of filing to make fit  but no more water ingress around the handle.   regards john

pancho

For the record the recommendation/idea I gave came originally from Paul Rankin!

I agree with John - the more you can do to protect the door cards the better.

McAnnik

There is a little more to add here while we are fiddling around at the side wind up window area on 105 GT's. there is an area devoid of water resistance in the forward 6 inches or so of the outer stainless steel 'furry/rubber holder. The part running parallel to the front 'pivoting' vent window appears to never have been waterproofed in any way to resist ingress of rainwater! Water will dribble in there but can be prevented by a smear of Silastic or similar product applied during assembly or patient poking with a cotton bud, messy but cleanable after your efforts!                          Also if you intend to replace the U shaped rubber that fits under / along the length of the  SS strips 'both front and rear' side window, the correct profile is also available from the same emporium, about $11.50 a metre, 4 metres is plenty! Check the Company website, their range of obsolete rubber related stock is extensive even if not original to your application, some are adaptable with little effort especially the vent window rubber itself. This comes with pre-moulded 'bend' for easy adaption. Maybe better to try the local stuff that may do the job rather than the 'off the roll' imported stuff that doesn't fit at all!! ...........................OOOhhhh the pain!!!!    continues........................................Cheers!

McAnnik

Back again with more of the same. I know you have been waiting for "what's next" episodes! This month is windscreens and rear 'demister screen' removal and refit. I needed to remove these items as a new headlining was to be installed. (A ClassicAlfa kit!).There was a minor rust bubbling in the flange  area that needed attention so double reason to attend to it right then.(That was not really a problem, a few rust perforations only on the lower corners of the screen corners, easily rust converted and "glassed over", I don't use Bog!). To get your screens out needs a little dexterity because you need to lay down in the car (seats removed if you must!) and put your size nines on the top corners of the screens and PUSH (gently but with force.) to pop them out. Before you do that, removal of the Ally strip rubber surround insert is essential, then loosen the gunk sealant around the screen to body area with a wide flat tool (not a screwdriver!). If you crack the screen, Bad luck, call O'Brian!  Attend to your needs,(the reason you took the glass out in the first place!). To refit, (I assume your putting the originals back in!). Spend many hours cleaning the rubbers for re use, providing they are still supple enough for that purpose, most are by my experience. Your chosen local W/sceen fitter will charge you less if you do a good job!   Ha!  you thought I was going to tell you how to refit your glass, Right! I could do that but there is plenty of that advice around for you to peruse if you must. Get the Pro to do it, if he fux up your new screen or your perfectly good rear demister screen on instalation, guess who pays for it!!.....................

McAnnik

PS to the above............It is essential to be careful removing the Ally insertion (decoritive) strips from the W/screen rubber. Try very hard not to bend or distort these items on removal. otherwise difficulty wiil arise trying to refit them.Pulling upwards is correct to release the strip from the rubber but minimise the bow , the strip will bend very easily. Some liquid detergent squrted in here will be of help!. If by chance you have bent the insert, gently bend it back again (goes without saying really!)  If your Ally strips are a bit seedy looking, it may be possible to have them repolished and re-anodized, but I don't know who does this in Melbourne......................................Over to those in the know!!.

cjheath

Re Aluminium strips - don't under any circumstances try to remove them while the windscreen is in the car. It's not necessary, and you will bend them. You can get the shape back, sorta, but the anodised surface crazes and they will never look the same.

hairdo 429

Hi,i have replaced nearly all my rubbers fro my 72 spider. I got most of them from  Classic Alfa and I'm extremely happy with their service and products Also a notable mention for Alfa 105 Alive . Angelo Has been a great help and his service so far the best I have had. Regards to you all.
Tony