156 back on the road for Christmas

Started by hammer, December 24, 2011, 10:49:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

I'm happy to say that after two weeks out of action, our 156 is back on deck in time for Christmas visits.

A marginally over enthusiastic take off from an intersection by yours truly stripped a couple of gearbox teeth (haven't opened the box yet to see if it was first gear or the final drive) and left me red-faced. Fortunately it happened right near Bob Romano Auto Care & Performance at Morningside, so I limped the car to their workshop.

Big thanks to Cameron from Automotion for putting me onto Alfa Wreck in Sydney for a second hand box. And a huge thanks to Chris Romano for working up to 6pm on December 23 to get the new clutch and gear linkages just right.

Merry Christmas all,

Brent

dehne

good to here its back on the road, Rocco at alfa wreck has every part to fit the 156 onwards, I have been using him for years and his business partner Andrew is quite knowledgable.
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

colcol

Hey Brent, what model 156 was it?, i may need to be a bit more gentler in the future!, and when you open the gearbox up, tell us what broke and a few pics would be good too, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

hammer

Colin, it's a 2005 156 Ti. I'm usually pretty gentle on take offs. I'm quite happy to give it a good rev once it gets going but see no point in chirping front wheel drive tyres. On this occasion though I gave it a fair rev to get out into traffic in a hurry, from a gently sloping intersection and something let go. I'll have a dig in the box after new year and take some pics.

colcol

If its a 2005 TI model, then that would have the JTS engine with all that extra power, i hope you fitted the right gearbox, as the Twin sparks and JTS are different and there are a lot more twin spark gearboxes around, we had a Victorian JTS owner who had a gearbox failure, i beleive he had a layshaft or mainshaft failure, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]