1976 ALFA SPIDER

Started by giuliasuper, December 17, 2011, 05:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giuliasuper

Hi Everyone.

Looking at a possible purchase of a 76 Spider Veloce. There's a few questions I was hoping those in the know could answer for me.
1. The brightwork around the gear lever and heater controls is missing. How hard is it to acquire this?
2. That the speedo is kph not mph, does that indicate that the car may not be an Aussie delivery?
3. There appears no door handles of any description on the inside of the doors; just the door opener and window winder. Is that normal?
4. Is there any philosophical or practical reason why I should not buy a 1976 spider?

Many thanks
Derek
1972 Giulia Super
1982 Giulietta
1988 Spider Quad
2001 Spider
1969 GTV
1991 Spider

SimonR

1) I have never seen the chrome around the gearlever for sale new, but I bet Classic-Alfa in UK can help you out here for this part second hand. The piece around the heater controls is easily available in either chrome, alloy or black.
2) My speedo is in both KPH amd MPH and this is how I knew all GTV and Spiders to be, however someone else may know more on this point.
3) The drivers side has 3 pieces of small chrome which is a small door pull, and the passengers side has an alloy piece to pull the door shut. I believe both pieces should be available new.
4) 1976 should be fine and no different to he earlier ones, but must be on carbies if Aust delivered and not spica which indicate its from the US. If you are concerned on the year check out the serial numbers with the archives guys in Italy. If its made after 1972 and was Aust delivered it should have an alloy compliance plate in the engine bay. If it doesnt it could be from another RHD country and been imported down he track.

Regards Simon
1973 Alfa Spider - Red
1984 GTV 2.0 - White

SPDR76

I have a 1976 Spider. This was the last year they were officially imported to Australia (ie by Alfa Romeo Australia Pty Ltd who was the official importer at the time). All the last ones imported in 1976 show kph only; 1975 and earlier have both and from recollection from about 1972 and before they were in MPH only. You can get the heater trim in either black (original for that year) or chrome (for cars again around 1972 and earlier) from Alfa Classic or Alfaholics in the UK (who between them have just about any other bit you want to throw your money at too!). The passenger side should have a sizeable alloy door pull aka panic grip (it runs on an angle) and the drivers door should have a much smaller hinged door pull in chrome (the driver gets to hold onto the steering weheel after all!!).
It is a truly beautiful car to look at (in my opinion second only to the Dino both in Pininfarina and all car scales) and fantastic to drive. Down side is same as any Alfa of the era - prone to rust (and in these especially around the sills, of which there are 3 - inner, middle and outer). Do be careful when looking - my brother once many years ago looked at a brilliant example, took it to Beninca Motors to check out and they thought it looked slightly odd - they measured it and discovered it was 2 cm longer than any other - was in fact 2 written off cars welded togther! Good luck!   
1976 Spider; 2015 Giulietta qv line; 2018 Stelvio D First Edition

Previously:
1983 Alfasud ti 1.5
1988 Alfa 33 Boxer
1994 Audi 90 Quattro
2002 Subaru WRX
2006 Subaru WRX Sti Pignose