Montreal F/S

Started by alfagtv58, October 29, 2007, 04:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vin sharp

Quote from: Justin Jacobs on October 31, 2007, 02:51:04 PM
The In 1975 Carlo Chiti's team at Autodelta fitted a 3-litre 340 bhp version of the Montreal engine to two special light-alloy Alfetta GTV shells. Described at the time as an Alfetta GT3000, this hybrid car has been referred to as a GTV8 after the appearance of the GTV6. One of these cars was entered in the rally of Elecar, Piacenza, Italy, in December 1975 but failed to finish due to failure of the gearbox (in spite of its having been strengthened). After further improvements were made for the 1976 session, the car had a few racing successes before the project was abandoned to save costs and the two drivers Jean Claude Andruet and Ballestrieri left the team.
One of these cars was located near Milan and fully restored by Bob van der Sluis in Holland. It has been described by Jos Hugense in the Dutch Alfa Romeo Club publication "Het Klaverblaadje", No. 73, 1996. Ed McDonough's impressions on driving the car at the 1997 SCARB meeting at the Assen circuit are recorded in "Assen Alfas", Auto Italia, No. 19, March 1998. It is believed that the second car was sold to Japan in 1990.
In 1977, on the initiative of Horst Reiff, Alfa Romeo's German distributor in Aachen, a very small number of GTVs were equipped with the Montreal's normal 200 bhp engine. These GTV shells were the regular steel ones and only the bulge on the bonnet betrayed that they were fitted with the V8 engine. This powerful coupé was marketed in Germany as the Alfetta GTV 2.6i V8 for DEM 50,000. 0-100 km/h acceleration for the hybrid vehicle remained as for the Montreal, but the maximum speed was claimed to exceed 230 km/h.
A fine original Alfetta GTV 2.6i V8 is maintained by Stefan Schmölzl in Bavaria, South Germany. These pictures show the engine bay from the side, from the front, and the car in 1992 and in 2000.
Starting with parts from an incomplete original car, Manfred Kopp has completely rebuilt an Alfetta GTV 2.6i V8 which is beautifully finished in metallic champagne colour. This picture shows the engine bay. Manfred maintains an Alfetta GT Club website.
Richard Anderson and Martin Darch are currently making a replica Alfetta GTV 2.6i V8 to compete in the Classic Adelaide and possibly the Targa Tasmania events. Martin would be very pleased to hear from anyone who has original documentary material on this model.

I am currently building a 1999cc GTAm type (narrow angle/twin-plug/monosleeve) engine for Martin's Autodelta Alfetta rally replica; I think this is the Targa car in question.
However, I also have a 3 litre enlargement of a Montreal engine underway for a local Alfetta for the same purpose.
I also have a 2.5 litre T33 engine for rebuilding, and it is similar to, but not the same as a Montreal.
I will document both projects and compare components for a realistic re-appraisal of urban myths! Should make good space-filler in the magazine.....   

Evan Bottcher

From the AlfaBB

I've seen a few photos of this car - in bright orange!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Justin Jacobs

It would be of great interest I am sure and would be a top article [ possibly as a seriel ?] for the mag . Fantastic to have this level of spealist engineering work going on in Melbourne . Some colour pics would be a nice addition [ both race car and engine build] .
Has the green Montreal that started all this changed hands ?

Paul Gulliver

Not quite in Group s spec,but my they did look good
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Scott Farquharson

You know i am am really warming to the idea of a Grp S Monty.  (thanks Phil)  Maybe one day.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)