Alfa 159 Reliability vs 156

Started by lmcpaulm, November 05, 2011, 05:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmcpaulm

Ok - So I'm sure there are numerous threads but I'm going to ask for an opinion anyway on a couple of topics.

I'm considering selling my 156 now after 3 years, it's burning a hole in my pocket with the maintenance and is closing in on 100,000kms.

I love the car and the drive, so am considering a 159 maybe diesel or the 2.2L petrol. I've had a load of fun (NOT) with some of the 156 faults and wondering if they exist/were sorted out in the 159?

Such as;

- Control Arms/Sway Bar/Drop links (Most important!!!) - I have spent $2.5k sorting out a clunking noise that turned out to be the sway bar bushes and the control arm bushes. Is this still an issue with 159s like it is with the 156's after 50-60,000kms (and again at 100,000kms)?
- Rims - the Rims on my 156 are soft (bit more than usual on european cars) and I have had to get them rolled this year since there are pot holes everywhere!
- Electrics - I get the ABS and EBD warning that comes and goes regularly...
- Cambelts - do the 159s have to have the cambelts replaced at 50,000kms like the 156?

Any reliability issues that have been common in the 159 or particular model that I should be cautious of?

OH and Selespeed auto models - fine or problematic?

Appreciate your insight!

Paul Gulliver

I have had a 2000 156 Selespeed which I thoroughly enjoyed and have been driving a 159 2.2 JTS for the last 5 years. It has just had its 90 k service done at a very reasonable cost of $900 ( rear brakes and a few other bits and pieces).The 159 also has a timimg chain no timing belt so lower cost of ownership.

Why your question is interesting is that my son has just purchased  a manual 156 JTS. so i have the chance to drive both again ( my son kindly lets me take the 156 down to the petrol station to put petrol in it.) They both still put a smile on your face evey time you drive them , but they are also very different. The 159 is defitinetly better built and a lot more grown up car , very cost effective to own and still one of the sexyist looking sedans on the road. But gee that 156 JTS is great fun to drive. My son still has a smile on his face after a drive home from uni & still keeps telling me how much the 156 is to drive.

If like most people who like to change your car every couple of years a 159 in my opinion  would be a very rewarding choice.

PS: I son got the 156 from a mate of mine who just purchased a new the Guiletta QV. ( He loves the Guiletta but misses the 156 and visits regularly)
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

lmcpaulm

Thanks for your post - it made me laugh - our situations are similar, if not reversed! I too like your son drove my 156 to uni with great joy and I kindly let my father take it to check the tyres and put fuel in it :D

I have the 2.5L V6 hence the cambelt was a big job - so that is good news on the timing chain.

Have you found the 159 2.2L to feel a bit heavy/sluggish?

The V6 is a lot of fun and has great acceleration, I'm concerned I'll get a 159 diesel of 2.2 and be slightly underwhelmed. However, I don't have the money do get the 3.2 V6 and don't want to be visiting the pump twice a week..

shiny_car

Bushings in suspension are wear-and-tear items, so any car is prone to having these wear out. Having said that, I owned a 156 TS through to 160K km (from 30K km), and only had to replace one upper wishbone in that period. Perhaps the V6 wears bushings faster because of the extra weight.

If you own a 159 long enough, you'll need to replace suspension parts too. But thus far, our V6 with nearly 30K km is ok in this regard.

The petrol 159s are chain driven, as above. However, the deisel engines have a rubber cambelt. I'm unsure of service interval, but I'm sure someone here will chip in with that info soon enough; or check with a dealer.

Our 159 is a Ti, and the rims have been ok thus far. I don't know about the 17" or 18" versions, but the higher profile tyres should provide adequate cushioning.

Electrics have been no problem for us so far. ABS/EBD faults in the 156 could be due to low voltage to the controller; sometimes the MIDI fuse atop the battery is at fault.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Paul Gulliver

QuoteHave you found the 159 2.2L to feel a bit heavy/sluggish

I suppose it is all relative . I think the 2.2 159 is more sluggish than the 2.0 156 but its definitely a more refined drive. Neither smaller petrol or diesel 159's are going to set any speed records , but as a daily comute it is adequate and a great touring car. Wouldn't get a selespeed again we also have a Golf TSI in the family and i believe DSG transmission is the way of the future.

Cheers

Gully  
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on November 05, 2011, 07:57:31 PM
Neither smaller petrol or diesel 159's are going to set any speed records

Not speed records exactly, but don't discount the 2.4 diesel.  Lots of turbo lag but enormous torque (400Nm) makes it feel quite quick, and very impressive at highway overtaking.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

colcol

I have always found Alfa Romeo alloys soft, and they bend quite easily on potholes, but thats better than too hard alloys that shatter or crack when encountering pot holes, and after the rain in Melbourne the last week, they are everywere, while the 159 Benzina models don't have cam belts to change, it is not unknown for a chain to stretch and cause an alarm when the valve timing goes out, which is more expensive to fix than a cam belt change, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bix

The maintenance schedule indicates 150,000 or every 3 years for the Diesel belt change.
Our 2.2 159 is nearing 80,000 and we haven't had any issues - just standard servicing every 6 months. Saying that, our 156 (2.0TS manual) that we have owned for 6 years also hasn't had any issues - I haven't even changed the battery!

wankski

guys - be accurate - not all 'benzina' 159s are chain... people read this down the line and get wrong info - i assume u are looking at secong hand... yes the 2.2 GM motor is chain driven, but is not free of issue (chain stretch)

the current, and soon to hit the second hand market in numbers 1.75tbi 159 goes back to belt... and yes... every 3 yrs still..

the 2.4 diesel is belt driven, but tends to bend rockers not valves in event of belt failure.... the diesels tend to be more maintenance heavy tho - things to look out for: EGR, DPF, variable manifold, turbo & turbo hose, water pump siezure causing belt to snap, etc

not my bag at all.... awesome torque tho...

the most convincing reason to get the 2.4 diesel is if you want a proper and pretty decent automatic g/b, IMHO.

- OP -

i'm sorry u spent $2.5k on suspension only to find it was ARB... sorry - not car's fault - back mech and riff off prcing... realistically u could have done all front arms OEM for around $750 installed.

but overall - i suggest you drive one... you're mind will be made up... I hated the 2.2. drove it a yr after it came out.... too big, too heavy, pathetic engine and busted selespeed.... even without sele - not my bag... i think you'll be disappointed coming from the lovely 2.5 156 to the 159...

it is practical tho.... fold down rear seats! hooray! - still looks good.... word on the street is the 1.75l turbo is the way the car should have been from the start.... not only has it a ballsy turbo motor - but it's shed a bit of weight too.... now about the same or a tad more than a v6 156...

happy hunting.

shiny_car

Totally forgot about the 1750TBi.  ::) :-[

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

colcol

The 1750 turbo is only new to the market, so there wouldn't be any second hand ones around, so we were talking about the General Motors 2.2 four and the V6, but the 1750 looks like an absolute ripper, not too much weight over the front wheels for good handling, stay off the turbo and you get good fuel economy, put your foot down and it goes like a scalded cat, best thing about it is that it is an Italian motor in an Italian car, not some motor from a Commodore or Vauxhall!, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

wankski

heaps of demos and new news on the market right now... even as low as 50km on the clock around the $40k mark!!

they will be a lot more when the yr ticks over and the new MY comes out...

now the tough choice is 'used' 1750tbi 159 or brand new GQV for c. $40k

hmmm  ??? 8)

colin, your engine xenophonia warms my heart !  :D

Craig_m67

Quote from: shiny_car on November 05, 2011, 07:50:54 PM

Electrics have been no problem for us so far. ABS/EBD faults in the 156 could be due to low voltage to the controller; sometimes the MIDI fuse atop the battery is at fault.

I have a 156 SW (1.9JTD). 

The only time i've ever had an ABS/EBD fault it was due to the brake pedal switch.  I pulled it out and reset it.  It has a automatic length adjuster thing in it (ratchet/spring/switch).  This gets pushed to the limit eventualy and stops working correctly, you simple pull it back out.  Or just replace it - about $10./ uk ebay.

I've only had the dreaded MCSE (??) engine fault once too - this was due to a dying main battery, it was pushing 14v but no amps.  Replaced the battery.

I've done wishbones/ARB and rear bushes once in 160K

I hear the 159 is a heavier car and not as entertaining as the 156.  That said, I think the 159SW is a beautiful thing and i'd love one however I found it not as usefull as the 156SW when I tested it for load (family, tents, params, garden waste etc.), bigger yes, but the high boot lip is an annoying feature.  I'm not overly fond of the metally dash either

Buy a diesel - the cam belt lasts longer and torque is seriously addictive :)

'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)