Wakefield FoSC

Started by alfagtv58, October 23, 2007, 11:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfagtv58

Thought I would kick NSW Board off ;D

Wakefield FoSC was held on the weekend, there were 20 Alfa's entered, and the Continental Capers races were a lot of fun, although there were about 4 Porsches and one (quick) Fiat 124 the rest of the field were Alfa's, congrats to Peter Tillet who put a good move on Bill Magoffin to take out the honours.  Personally I didnt have the best weekend, a bit of damage done in the first Group S race.....and I struggled with the Wakefield circuit, I felt slow.  A good excuse to get back next September for the Veloce Racing Assoc "East Coast Challenge" between QLD, NSW and VIC.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

alfagtv58

Sorry, I should ammend my previous comment.....From a competition/racing point of view the weekend wasnt that good.  From a social point of view I had a ball, both fellow Alfisti and family/friends.  We caught up with family for dinner on Friday night and more family come out to see us on Saturday at the track, all the Alfisti from the VRA got together for dinner on Saturday night (a good night too) and we spent Sunday night in Canberra with some friends!!
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Scott Farquharson

Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

alfagtv58

I stuffed it up the inside of a 240Z into turn one, but when I gassed it up coming out of the corner I looped it and he had nowhere to go and his drivers side glanced my drivers side.....as a consequence he DNF'd and I finished "stone motherless last"!!!!!
2009 159 JTS Ti

Fast Eddie

excellent badge of courage Phil.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

Scott Farquharson

Excellent!  Is this your first "touch up" or "racing incident"?

rubbing = racing
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

alfagtv58

Quote from: Scott Farquharson on October 24, 2007, 07:59:29 AM

rubbing = racing

I am embarrassed to say no, I 'rubbed' the back of Nittis' GT350 at Winton earlier this year. :-[  I dont think its all that excellent, to me rubbing = $$$$

On another note, I dropped my car off to Hugh and said someone stole some horsepower, it just doesn't feel the same.  He rang me last night to tell me I was only getting about 3/4 throttle :o  Stating the obvious, but maybe this is why I felt so damn slow the last two weekends!

2009 159 JTS Ti

Paul Newby

As I'm probably the only NSW person on the Vic Forum I should contribute to the only thread that's listed on the new NSW Forum...  :)

Also, as I was there at the Wakefield FOSC I can legitimately contribute.

Having heard on the grapvine about these super Group S Alfettas, I was thinking I would have my doors blown off by Phil, but that wasn't the case! Was it really a throttle problem Phil?

I had a frantic qualifying session whereby I ran out of fuel mid-session and had to go into the pits for a top-up. The fact that I managed to go back out and set my fastest ever lap at Wakefield was something of a surprise, as it was a bit slippery out there. That 4.3 diff does make a difference! Like Phil, I managed to spin at Turn 2 of the first Group Sc race, but this was on the first lap, having got a great start and keeping those dreaded Zs behind me. Luckily I didn't get hit. For the second Group Sc race I made a great start (on the restart - after John P's blow up, my first start was a real shocker) and went down the outside of everyone into Turn 2. It took me three attempts to finally get past Lloyd Hughes in his genuine Porsche Carrera RS - how I didn't hit the most expensive ($300K) car in the field I don't know... No one else made it past Lloyd, but I think his cage was sufficiently rattled that he drove it home shortly afterwards!

Both Continental Caper races were good fun and I managed to keep some faster Alfas behind me in the first race, but they got past me in the second race. Good clean racing, but I always seem to go backwards in these races - must be my "little" 1.8 engine.

My final race was a Group S race and again I went backwards. This time I had Norm Singleton in the second most valuable Group S car, a Fiat 124 Abarth Rallye go around me on the outside of me through the fast Turn 1 kink. He cut across, and how we didn't touch I will never know. It caused me to have a moment - having the back step out in an Alfetta at 150km/h is a real heartstopper...  :o

Anyhow it was a great meeting for VRA and Alfa, both socially and competitively. There were a total of 7 Group S Alfas including 4 Alfettas plus one (Danny Gatto's) who didn't get his car logged in time. Up here we have another three Group S Alfettas out there not doing much at present and another couple running in supersprints that could make the jump up to Group S soon. Here's hoping.
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Scott Farquharson

Quote from: Phil Baskett on October 24, 2007, 08:50:29 AM
Quote from: Scott Farquharson on October 24, 2007, 07:59:29 AM

rubbing = racing

I am embarrassed to say no, I 'rubbed' the back of Nittis' GT350 at Winton earlier this year. :-[  I dont think its all that excellent, to me rubbing = $$$$

On another note, I dropped my car off to Hugh and said someone stole some horsepower, it just doesn't feel the same.  He rang me last night to tell me I was only getting about 3/4 throttle :o  Stating the obvious, but maybe this is why I felt so damn slow the last two weekends!

Yes, the panel damage does hurt the wallet.

But you must admit 2 pretty good "racing incidents"

As to the throttle, that just really sucks but does explain a lot.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

Alistair Liles

Paul, you're not the only NSW one on the forum...

I've been lurking for a while but have plucked up the courage to join.  I have been scared the Paul will bag me out because i don't have a Group S car.

Anyway, bad luck for JP last weekend.  Good lap time Paul.  Danny's car looks great.  I came across it on the M5 while going home on Sunday.  We had 2 red GTV's, one on the road and one on the trailer

Regards
Alistair

alfagtv58

Welcome Alistair, great to have you on board!!
2009 159 JTS Ti

Paul Newby

Hi Alistair, welcolme aboard.

And no I won't bag you out because you already have a Group S car, it just needs a roll cage and an external cut-out switch and it's there. Too easy. :)
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Scott Farquharson

Hi Alistair,

Welcome also.  Sounds like you already have a Group S car.......it has become an irrisistable force...resistance is futile..
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

John A Pucak

Hi folks, Im new to the forum. My name is John Pucak, some of you might know my cars.
I am the proud owner of aGroup S Alfetta GT( she threw a rod out the side at Wakefield)
I am also lucky enough to be the original owner of 1985 GTV 2.0.
Come on Alister get that cage put in your car, and come out racing
John

Scott Farquharson

Welcome John, great to see you on the forum.  Love to have your views on the many Group S topics in the Group S section as well.
Scott Farquharson
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)