Thanks for the changes

Started by hammer, October 22, 2007, 06:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

Thanks very much for making a dedicated folder for us Queenslanders. You know we are shy creatures and don't really like mingling with others, so having our own corner in which to munch bananas and chat all things Alfa will be great.

Thanks also for maintaining a diverse and fascinating forum. I check it almost daily and usually find something new to absorb.

Cheers,

Brent

spieret

Lets see how long it takes to reply and if you do check it daily  :P
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

Scott Farquharson

Could someone up there give us all an update on Qld competition happenings....
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

spieret

are you wanting to know the results or the competition for next year?
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

hammer

Scott,

Our competition secretary Ken Percival is probably the best person to update the group on the Qld Alfacomp but I don't think he venture online too often.

Last Saturday we had round Seven of Qld Raceway's Saturday Afternoon Sprints. 17 AROCA Qld members entered in in 14 cars. We always run on the sprint version of the QR circuit for this event, which I think from memory is 1.89km. The fastest time of the day belonged to Bernard M in his sensational quad cam 3l 75. Bernard ran something around the 62.5 second mark and was closely followed by Bob Whitehouse in his "stealth" sprint.

For the sake of comparison, our Alfacomp sprint record is held by Bob and at an educated guess I think the time was 60.89. There are quite a bunch of race cars in the 63.5-64.5 bracket and a handful of modified roadcars consistently lapping in the 65 second region.

It was a stinking hot day so most cars were slightly off the pace.

I ran a PB of 67.74 seconds, which was 2.74 better than my previous (this is my first year, so I'm peeling off the easy seconds each round).

Then last Sunday six of the lads were out racing in the QR Topgear series. This is door handle to door handle racing on all four versions of the QR layout. I'm not sure of the results but I heard that everyone had a sensational time despite the failure of three starter motors.

A strong line-up of Alfas will be back at QR on December 1 for the final round of the sprints and some may back up for the Topgear on Sunday.

When I figure out how to post pics on the forum I will put a few up, as my brother Chris always takes plenty each raceday.

Cheers,

Brent

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Scott Farquharson

Thanks, that was great.  Just interested in what goes on up North (as a few here probably are) having been to a couple of the Historic meetings up there in the Grp C car.  Is the Spint circuit the same as the "Club" circuit they use for the Historic meeting....right turn after turn 2, basically cuttting off one "finger" of the full circuit?
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

hammer

The track you are taling about is called The Clubman. It is 2.1km against 1.89km for the Sprint. The Sprint turns right at the same point as the Clubman then takes a quick left into a short straight, then another quick right/left and right again into the main circuit's turn six, which leads onto pit straight. Due to the two crossovers, as they call them, the Sprint track is inherently slower than the Clubman, but in some ways slightly more challenging. For most Alfas the Clubman takes 3 to 3.5 seconds longer than the Sprint.

I will update again following the December 1 sprint round.

Bernard has posted a bit of footage of his 3lt beast on the Alfa BB site, in the Milano section, for anyone who is interested.

Cheers,

Brent