Problem with my new Giulietta QV

Started by Broch, November 21, 2011, 07:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broch

Hello everyone

I'm a first time Alfa owner who fell in love with Giulietta. I bought a new white QV a month ago with the leather/sunroof pack, my first new car ever (at 45!).

I was hoping my first post would be about how much in love I was...

However, last week after I caught Giulietta smoking - I found out that there was a hairline fracture in the head/cam carrier and it was leaking oil. Apparently this is a fault that Alfa hasn't experienced before.

Their proposed solution is to repair the part (aluminium weld) rather than replace it. Although I know very little about the mechanics, I am challenging this decision, even though the repair is in process.

So, three things:

Any thoughts on what I should do?
  Has anyone heard of this fault before?
  It may be worth keeping an eye on this if you have one.

Regards to all - hoping to wax lyrical about Giulietta soon....

(Apologies if this is in the wrong forum)

Broch

ANG156

Sounds weird that it is a problem alfa has not picked up before!

Parts such as this are all tested vigorously so it is strange. I believe that your cylinder head is the small percentage that falls into the manufacturing fault bracket. If it were my car i would be pushing for a brand new part not a welded repair mainly for the reasons below;

1) quality of weld depends on skill of welder.
2) slag holes may become present which can expand when hot and causes the oil to sweat through.
3) Is the material full aluminium or a combination of minerals mixed which can often influence the ability of the head to be welded.

Its never great welding aluminium as many on this forum may have experiece doing so with the alfa 156. If you do get it welded make sure they test it for leaks before putting it back in. It will save you a lot in returning to the dealer if its proven successful before reinstallation. I remember putting a fine oil in my 156 sump the heating the exterior surface with the oxy to see if the slag holes expanded and sure enough it did.

Push for the brand new part mate.

wankski

i assume you mean cam cover, and not the actual head...

you are within your rights to ask for a new replacement, but down time could be a factor.... i wouldn't hesitate to weld the cover - that's all it does...

head... No Way, José!

colcol

Go for a brand new part, not a botched up alloy welded one, you weld things that cannot be replaced, such as vintage parts that are no longer available, its a new car, so you want new parts, if it was a second hand and 10 years old maybe, when you weld it, it will distort and go soft around the weld, i had a cylinder head on my old Volksy, that had a crack in it, and i was advised not  to fix it, but get a good second hand one, so maybe if they won't replace it with a new one, get them to get a good second hand one from a wrecker, if it was me i would talk to consumer affairs and find out you rights and get a hire car off them while they are deciding what to do, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Broch

Quote from: wankski on November 21, 2011, 09:39:00 PM
i assume you mean cam cover, and not the actual head...

you are within your rights to ask for a new replacement, but down time could be a factor.... i wouldn't hesitate to weld the cover - that's all it does...

head... No Way, José!

Not sure, but I think it is the "head" - that's what the mechanic keeps calling it. It leaks oil... Does a "cover" do that? He's made a video that he has shown me of the oil leaking out of the engine once it hits 2000 revs - he says he made it on the request of Alfa. Apparently the head on the Giulietta carries the cam?? Sorry - out of my depth!

Thanks for your reply, wankski

Broch

Thanks Colcol and ANG156 - fuel to my fire.

I've been a bit of a wimp with Alfa about insisting on a replacement part - but wimp no longer!

colcol

These things happen from time to time with all cars, Mercs, Beemers, Toyota's, the newer Alfa's are very reliable now, they have all Bosch electrics, don't let this hiccup put you off, look after your car and it wiil pay you back in spades, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Broch

Thanks Colin - I won't be put off...

...but I haven't had a chance to look after my car - it broke after doing 2010 km. And it's a newer Alfa. Hiccup?

Seriously, I won't be put off - but I want my new Giulietta back, like new, as new.

Broch

(Though I don't know much about cars, I'm not sure that the electrics (Bosch or otherwise) have much to do with a cracked head.)

Broch

Quote from: ANG156 on November 21, 2011, 08:53:08 PM
Sounds weird that it is a problem alfa has not picked up before!

I'm intrigued by this comment - anything I should know?

wankski

i would clarify this with your mechanic.... if it is the cylinder head and not the cam cover that sits on top it it... Take it back and get a new head...

IF THE HEAD - it sounds like to me they are attempting to seal it from outside b/c swapping heads is a big deal - basically a brand new half engine and a lot of labour...

but it is your right... they must rectify under the consumer law.

it must be the head, as swapping covers can be done in 30min... i'm sure they can get a new one... but yeah... head... it's a big deal.

i wouldn't accept it. no way.

Broch

Thanks wankski - It's definitely the head. They're saying it needs to be pressure tested after the aluminium weld, and will take half a day to fit back. Also they need to replace gaskets, etc.

Maybe I should be demanding a new car, not just a new part!

w47ty

Hey Broch,

worrying and very sad indeed!!

I hope the whole thing is resolved to your satisfaction. I echo other comments in that you are within your rights to demand a replacement and not a repair.

Keep us posted mate and all the very best. I want to hear you waxing lyrical soon!!

cheers

chris
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

Joe Garra

Agree with the others, insist on a replacement part,  FFS the car is 1 month old!!  - otherwise name and shame the dealer.
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

branko.gt

Here is my free advice and it is worth all the money you pay for it.

This is not very good publicity for Alfa or Ateco.

I am not convinced that you have a right to choose replacement over repair. I believe that choice is with the vendor/manufacturer. They have to "make good".

Having said that you definitely should not give up on asking for replacement instead of repair. You may want to question long term viability of the repair and perceived reduction of resale value of the car with a "welded head".

Talking about publicity, it is not about "if this happens to all brands", it is about what they do to keep a happy customer when it happens.

In my view, this is the test of their commitment to selling Alfa as a premium brand.

BTW, who is the dealer and how do you find them in all this?

wankski

yes, that is true Branco, but it could easily be argued a patch on a new car is not 'made good' - esp as to warranty concerns if the same happens outside of the warranty period...

also there are the implied warranties for new sales provisions newly incorporated into the new ACL (Vic).

yes, they are entitled to 'repair' but that could be argued that esp for a new car - the meaning of warranty repair is replacing defective parts with a new oem part to restore the car to its original condition.

If i were taking the case, i would call the weld on the head a patch, not a repair. Much like a new tire blowout due to manufacturing defect, a patch would not be suitable to restore the consumer to their original position AS WARRANTED.