WTB: Giulia GT/GTV stepnose

Started by DaveT, November 11, 2011, 01:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveT

Thanks Andy, yeah the owner of this one PM'd me last week, it's popped up on ebay 3 or 4 times recently, I guess never meeting reserve. From the pics it looks like the body could be a money pit but I'm planning to have a look at it anyway, could be a good parts car...although I'm not really sure why I need a parts car just yet...doesn't hurt to be prepared though does it  :P

Pancho, did you have a look at this car when you were looking, if so what were your thoughts, also what are the new laws of which you speak?
DaveT & Bertie - 67 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce

Previous belligerent Italians:
92 Alfa 164
72 BS Fiat Spider
69 Fiat 124 AC Coupe
70 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

pancho

It's best you go see the car for yourself. I did - twice; but it wasn't for me.

New laws for re-registering cars are far more strict with regards to bodywork/repairs - the repairers have to sign off on the work and can be/are liable for any issues brought about due to their repairs or lack of down the track.

Davidm1600

We don't have such laws in place here in Tassie  ;D, and surely if one uses a reputable restorer that wouldn't be an issue.  What happens also if one wishes to restore a car themselves, do such laws apply ???

What exactly were the problems with this car Pancho, for I have seen, based on the photos both here of this car and those restored both here on this forum and the BB far worse examples brought back to life (ie. Rossano's, Pete and Daveydogs GTVs, though obviously I havn't seen this car in the metal unlike you.  To me and only based on the photos, it seems to good to be just a parts car, but perhaps I am wrong ??

My 1750 GTV needs new doors (have one, need to find one more), a bootlid (found one of these as well), new front cill panels like this Stepnose (have them already from Classic Alfa), but I am sure I am going to need to take the old cills off and make repairs to the inners (again Classic Alfa or Alfaholics have these), as well as new front floor pans (ditto re being available), and repairs to the sway bar mounting area, and rear wheel arches.  I will need to retrim my car, but in any restoration project I would allow for this sort of thing, ditto a gearbox rebuild (but having done my Super's I know what is involved).

Is this car missing any of its important trims ??  Undoubtedly it will require mechanicals (driveline and suspension) but again with any cheap entry purchase for restoration I would expect you would need to allow for this.  So unless this car has suffered from major accidents (ie. chassis is not straight), to me I would have thought it should be possible.  Especially more so, depending on the final desired standard and/or ability to do work yourself.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Davidm1600

Just to add another pic of my GTV or two so you can see its current visual condition to better understand where I am coming from.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Davidm1600

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Davidm1600

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

aggie57

Quote from: pancho on November 23, 2011, 10:16:16 AM
It's best you go see the car for yourself. I did - twice; but it wasn't for me.

New laws for re-registering cars are far more strict with regards to bodywork/repairs - the repairers have to sign off on the work and can be/are liable for any issues brought about due to their repairs or lack of down the track.

Is there a link to the relevant VicRoads website page that you could post?  I'm wondering how this would effect cars off the road for long periods but in the same ownership throughout.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Neil Choi

I think this might help.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Registration/BuySellTransferVehicles/CertificateOfRoadworthiness/

I brought an old (over 35 yrs) car, which was off the road for over 20 yrs, back onto the road a litte while back.  This car was given to me free of charge and I had to have the previous owner (friend) sign a letter stating the fact and free of charge (ie no stamp duty).  Vic Roads imposed a $500 value (registration value) on the car, so stamp duty is whatever $500 was 4%?).  All is needed for registration as stated by Vic Roads is the RWC and statement of ownership.  If same ownership, no problems other than having the RWC.

Neil

pancho

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/7A14DDDC-3DF3-4ADD-9821-B8C7816777A3/0/VSI26web.pdf

Q. I just bought a second hand car and the registration has been cancelled. How do I go about re registering the car in my name?
A. You will need to make an appointment at a VicRoads Customer Service Centre where you will need to present the car for inspection as well as provide the appropriate evidence of identity and ownership documents as well as pay the relevant fees. See Light vehicle registration.

After checking out Vicroads website they may not be new laws as such, my apologies. I'm sure there there are many different situations here but I'll take the most common - If you take a car to be repaired by a workshop for mechanical or bodywork they will sign off the RWC, if you do it all yourself then it will still require a signed RWC. From what I am told Vicroads are doing more and more spot checks on cars now post RWC - so workshops are less inclined to sign off on dodgy repairs. Reputable shops won't do dodgy fix's on a car as their butt is on the line when they sign off. I don't work for vicroads, so call them if you want more info. In Sydney your car must be inspected every year for registration compliance - unless it's less than 3 years old (from memory).

The car in question needs to be seen in the flesh - that's all I will say.

AikenDrum105

Interestingly,  I've just transferred the registration on a 1999 car with vic registration that only expired 6 months ago - they have all the car's details on file, but I had to take the car to a vicroads office and have the Colour, Vin and Engine numbers verified, as well as the RWC etc because more than 3 or so months had elapsed since expiration.

Which is the same process I had to go through earlier this year getting the Super back on the road - it had last been registered in Vic more than 10 years ago, and they'd somehow lost all the VIN / Engine number details on the car - but had a sketchy record of it based on the old plates.

Having said all that - at the vicroads office they were paying alot more attention to the roaring beast of a skyline the guy before me was trying to register, than my 60's relic with 'alfa-mildew' air-freshener.

<Anti Thread Hijack>  I'd also dearly love a GT even in ramshackle condition in the shed just to leer at now and again </Anti Thread Hijack>

Perhaps these restos are a little like giving money to help save a Panda  -  let's say %40 of the resto cost is 'I fixed up my car and it's a shiny ripper of a thing and I Gurn with delight at every throttle blip'  and the rest is 'I saved an endangered species'   :)     If you buy one that's falling apart and carefully bring it back to stable condition through artisan patronage or elbow grease in the back shed -  what a philanthropist  (philalfthropist ? )   you are !

Of course, everyone's entitled to my opinion :)

Cheers,  Scott.
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

pancho

Scott, it's the same in NSW - after 3 months of no rego you have to have the car inspected.

In Sydney a long time ago they used to drag your car over the pits and they were really thorough - anything remotely needing attention would warrant a rejected stamp on your paperwork. Now I am not sure, I haven't tried to re-rego a car in at least 12 odd years.

I think it's all for the better - I see some god awful old bomb rust buckets out there and think to myself - I really hope you don't have to perform an evasive/defensive vehicle manoeuvre in a hurry

No more jacking this thread by me - good luck David!  ;D

DaveT

I appreciate all of your opinions. Advice from knowledgable, unbiased, like-minded enthusiasts who have been down the same path before is worth its weight. I also don't have a problem with the thread being jacked for worthy input about related topics. I'm hoping to get one of my 205 GTI's back on the road soon, so I'll be going through the RWC/VicRoads inspection thing...the awesomest thing about 205's is they're galvanised and the two I have are still in their original paint with not a hint of rust...imagine it...I can even drive them in the rain!

92 Alfa 164
72 BS Fiat Spider
69 Fiat 124 AC Coupe
70 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

DaveT

DavidM your 1750 looks pretty good to me, but I guess the photo's only tell half the story. I see you have a 124 AC coupe in your stable, you're a man with taste, how long have you had it, what's it like, where'd it come from and what do you plan to do to it?

I had one for 10 years, got it in about 95, totally original, still in it's original Positano yellow paint with 65,000 miles on the clock. Many, many fond memories of that car...when they're straight, with no rust and going well, they're brilliant. In fact, and I probably shouldn't admit this here but I looked at a few stepnose GTV's when I had the AC, two of them with good bodies and very reasonably priced...only problem was each time I'd get back in my AC and be blown away at how much better it drove. I took this to indicate that mechanically these particular GTV's were just very tired. I'm still yet to drive a well sorted one...and now I'll be jumping back into a 205 gti or the RS Clio, which maybe isn't a great idea...perhaps I should ride my bike when I go to look at GTV's  ;D

92 Alfa 164
72 BS Fiat Spider
69 Fiat 124 AC Coupe
70 Fiat 124 BC Coupe

ItalCarGuy

Here's another one out of Unique Cars. If it was done by the 105 Factory it will be well sorted.

EZEE

Hi Derek + guys,

again without hijacking the thread but keeping the conversation relevant I too saw this ad in UNIQUE Cars I think last month (?) but what are your thoughts....and the rest of the guys writing here about a 2 litre engine "upgrade", "GTA type box" and other things that are changed on these cars.........?

- remember I am not mechanically talented but consider myself an enthusiast......should the engine remain original? does it matter? these are questions I keep going through when I consider a purchase....so far have stuck to original on the engine front btw...

Cheers

Emmanuel