74 series 1 alfetta sedan

Started by alfeddie, October 26, 2011, 03:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfeddie

Hi all

I'm not new to owning an Alfa Romeo but im far from being an expert. I have joined this forum to learn and gain experience for my 74 alfetta. Many years ago I owned a 33 which was a ride off due to someone t-boning me. It has taken me 10 years to purchase another Alfa.

I have owned this car for 3 months now and ive spent many days getting it registered and on the road. The car mechanically is in good condition considering its age but as most alfetta's I have come across it has been diagnosed with cancer (rust). My goal is to repair the rust as time goes by.

If there is any other early alfetta sedan owners out there please pm me as I have many questions.

Cheers...
Many thanks
Alfeddie

colcol

Hello Alfeddie, bring yourself and car to spectacolo next Sunday and have a good chat to some like minded Alfisti, see our website for details, see you on Sunday, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

EZEE

Hi Alfeddie,

Welcome, as a relatively newbie as well I can tell you this is the place for good honest Alfa info and opinions.......well done on the Alfetta, try and make it on Sunday....it will be my first but they tell it is worth it!

Emmanuel

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: alfeddie on October 26, 2011, 03:03:16 PM
If there is any other early alfetta sedan owners out there please pm me as I have many questions.

That's not generally how a forum works.  Your best bet (and the best way to disseminate the information for all) is to post your questions in the Alfetta section of the forum.

Welcome to the forum, and good luck with your early sedan, they really are a beautiful car.  There was an as-new example at our club display at last weekends Motorclassica, and it was absolutely stunning.

alfeddie

Thanks guys for all the positive comments. I did see the red alfetta on sunday and it look great, my alfetta was also there but not on display ( it was in the museum car park lol)

I wont be able to make it on sunday, i have to travel to sydney. but i will be going along for the drive on 6th november.

cheers
Many thanks
Alfeddie

Davidm1600

Well done Alfeddie, a nice choice. Early Alfetta sedans IMHO were probably the best looking of all the Alfetta sedans, purity of the design, they are also relatively rare now, so many having rusted away or been wrecked for parts etc.  They also were really (are) nice to drive. The steering light but positive, and just generally the feel of the car feels different from later models.  I had a 2 owner from new '76 sedan and a GT in the past.  Rust on my sedan was confined to the bottom of one of the doors, a little in the panel below the rear window and bootlid and bottom of the front guards where it met the cills.  

The interior on mine was perfect and it drove like a dream, even the sometimes awkward gearbox, on my sedan was fine, once you got used to it.  I also had a 2L Berlina at the time and there is a significant difference in the feel between a 116 and 105 gearbox.

My car never gave me any problems but it had been really well looked after.   Some years later I sold it and it, and it eventually ended up with our club president.  The rust has been removed/replaced with new metal, and the original driveline changed for a complete setup from a 90.  Apart from the big bore exhaust you cant tell when it is not running what is under the bonnet.  Its a real sleeper but sounds fantastic with the 2.5V6.

The GT I had wasnt as good, it did a head gasket, the guibios (rubber dohnuts) had to be replaced, a wheel bearing let go and a few other minor repairs were needed along the way.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

MD

alfeddie,

Like all sedans, they fail to get the glory over the coupes even though under the skin they are brothers. For purely practical reasons, the sedan is always more useful and drives equally well (if not better). I do and have owned both including race car versions.

The brilliant thing about transaxles is their ability to be either restored as original if you wish or go as nuts as you dare. What I mean is that the power plant can be changed to anything you like from a four cylinder to a Montreal V8 and if you want to go outside Alfa power you can install any engine you like including a rotary which wont go down too well with the purists but hey, it's your choice.

Welcome to the Forum.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0