75 advice

Started by hillalfa, October 02, 2007, 08:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillalfa

Hi i'm new to this club. I don't drive an alfa as of yet but have recently fallen in love with the alfa 75.

Now I don't mean to offend anyone but I'd like to buy one except I don't know how expensive it is to keep one and the stories from electrical faults and dying engines. I can work on the car myself as i'm training to be a mechanic.

Any advice would be very helpful.

scott.venables

Welcome to the club!  Nice choice with the 75 too!  I've had mine for about a year now and it's been really reliable,  Dad helped me build 2 cars into 1 because the first one had some rust we didn't know about.  The motor is still unopened, we just put new seals in it.  As far as the electrics go, I think the 'stories' are way over reported.  Most 75's are getting on for 20 years old though so they're not without fault.  The motors need care, expecially the V6 with it's timing belt.  I do my own work (sometimes with a little help ;)) and as a first year apprentice I find it very affordable.  I saw in another post you were looking for some pictures of the engine bay and the interior.  Here's some pictures of mine.  The interior shows the original tweed material on the door cards and the original seats retrimmed in different material by the previous owner.  The tweed material came in the earlier cars on the seats as well but usually disintegrates.

Cheers, Scott

Simon Bidese

Hi hillalfa,

electrics in a v6 75 or gtv6 are just about identical(i stand to be corrected), we own a couple of v6 gtv6's and only had very basic electrical issues - eg, tail light not working - solution take the cover over and remove the first level corrsossion with steel wool and spray with crc.  There are some cheap workshops manuals around with electrical diagriams that are easy to follow.  Try buy a car that appears to have the original untampered electricals otherwise these issues can sometimes blow out and the diagrams are useless(regardless of the make of the car).  Basically no issues on our front.

Cheers,

Simon

Anthony Miller

Surely we aren't all V6 owners, there must be someone out there who can advise on the joys of the Twin Spark :P
This is an important thing to ponder, do I want that noise that can only come from an Alfa V6 along with the higher maintenance costs and the tendency to understeer due to the greater wieght over the nose or do I want one of the most advanced engines of it's time with power & torque spread over a huge rev range not to forget fuel economy only dreamt of by owners of older N/A Alfa 4s. Did I mention the body kit that comes standard with the TS but only on the 3.0l V6. More Things to ponder.....sorry
Anthony
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

Scott Farquharson

Sheldon, where are you?  Where's the case for the 90?
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)