perspex

Started by BradGTV, September 01, 2011, 08:37:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradGTV

anyone know where can i buy perspex to replace the glass windows in my track car?
cheers, brad
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

John A Pucak

I think Lexcan is the better bet!!

BradGTV

any reason why? not sure of the differnce between the 2 products
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

Rob Berson

As far as I understand, perspex is acrylic which is brittle and can shatter and I am sure not allowed on a race car.
Lexan or polycarbonate is pretty much shatterproof.

Rob

alfa duk

Perspex is not permitted in race cars as in an impact it will shatter creating sharp edges, same as float glass, lexan is shatterproof and will bend rather than break. You would be mad to use perspex.
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

BradGTV

thanks guys, ** anyone know where to get lexan from?

dehne

i was pretty sure that you could use perspex but only for the side and rear windows the front had to stay glass or lexan
you can get either product from a plastic place like plasweld some good hardware shops can also get it or try a building suplies place like homehardware that could get it in for you
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

MD

Brad.

In Brisbane, all sorts of "plastic" sheeting in all kinds of thickness can be purchased from plastics wholesalers supplying the sign making industries, shop fitters etc. The sheets usually come in 1200x2400mm size which you would cut out to fit into the car by making cardboard templates first.

You should have such outlets in your state.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

BradGTV

thanks again guys, ill look around,
regarding windscreen, i planned to keep it glass, or is lexan good enough to replace it?
cheers, Brad

Neil Choi

Lexan as a front screen will scratch up pretty quickly.

alfagtv58

Quote from: dehne on September 02, 2011, 01:28:04 AM
i was pretty sure that you could use perspex but only for the side and rear windows the front had to stay glass or lexan

***facepalm***

Dehne, 3 people have told you that perspex is not a good idea, and some have even given you good reasons why (ie SAFETY!) and you still want to tell everyone its ok!  Any acrylic is not a good idea (and expressly forbidden by CAMS) and perspex is an acrylic.  Use a polycarbonate, which Lexan is.  Apart from the shatter thing already mentioned, Polycarbonate has a higher melting point too which can be the difference in a fire between you being horribly disfigured and getting out just in time.
Usually side and rear only and front has to be glass....well that is Group S, I dont pretend to know all the category rules, Lexan windscreen is possibly allowed in Sports Sedans?  But like Neil said, it will probably scratch up pretty quick.

EDIT - I just re-read that and I sound very grumpy, dont mean to be, I just think its important to try and clear up matters of safety.....

Brad, I have a contact in Victoria, but I think you are in NSW.  Let me know if you want the details.
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

MD

Brad , sorry. I omitted to say that a polycarbonate "plastic" should be your choice. I am sure someone in your local club would know of an SA source.

For a front windscreen, I think the minimum polycarbonate thickness is around 5-6mm but it will develop "wiper tracks" and other scratches from cleaning. Not my choice. Getting the curvatures right for the fit may also be a headache.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

BradGTV

thanks for clearing that up. Glass up front it is. And the sides and rear ill do in lexen. Im in sa, but will ask a couple people in the know whey they go theirs from.

alfa duk

The next question you will have is what thickness. Now being a track car weight is the issue and polycarbonate the same thickness is only slightly lighter than the glass that your replacing 6mm?, go for the 3 or 4mm. Another point worth pointing out is that it is a pain winding the windows back up as with glass it is curved and goes where it should. And Phil, your grumpyness is only related to your lack of sleep, not your fault. Doug
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Storm_X

im in the same boat ,but with my Giulietta
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"