Alfetta Transaxle gear box lube for racing and or club days.

Started by paul edwards, August 20, 2010, 07:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfa duk

Cant say how the redline performed as the gearbox has some problems that no oil will fix.
85 gtv6 dead, cant let go
84 gtv6 24 valve VRA spec
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

MD

eeeyaaoooouch !

Sounds like you need some liquid gold to fix it...
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

GTVeloce

After reading this thread I have just put the Redline Shockproof Lightweight into my 75 TS and have noticed a considerable improvement in the speed of the synchro even when cold. Fantastic and worth the bucks. I am going to do the same to the GTV once it is back on the road...
Thanks

alfa duk

All you do is hand over the cash, get it fixed and hide the receipt. Thats racing
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

John A Pucak

Careful "Duk" your wife might be checking this thread!!!

alfa duk

Yeh, shes trying to work out whats wrong with the gearbox too!
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

John A Pucak

Well, If you tell her it's the big nut behind the steering wheel, then she will understand your gearbox woes.

MD

Aren't the simplest solutions always the hardest find !! Well done John.  :D :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

alfa duk

Mate, if we start talking about nuts and gearboxes, there will be total confusion!
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s

Storm_X

"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Paul Gulliver

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

redsky

I got myself a gallon of redline lightweight shockproof today at Bursons Shepparton. They were saying that they carry a very limited stock of redline products, but can get it in, although they had the lightweight on the shelf. They have a small number of customers that swear by it and won't use anything else despite the price. It was $159.70 for the Gallon.
If it will help with those second gear shifts as well as providing long lasting protecton without the regular changes of old diff oils, it will be worth it.

Darren.

dehne

hi all
i to am going down the redline path, but price wise i got it a heap cheaper, ive got it $140 local and $95 plus freight interstate (syd) and $100 plus freight(melb) now the one im going for is the super lightweight the 75/90w i think it is, now the guys will go even cheaper if you buy in bulk, (for the freighted ones)
also is one gallon enough to fill it to a good level or should i buy an extra quart
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Darryl

Quote from: Paul Newby on February 04, 2011, 09:57:36 AM
I put Redline in my Alfetta in 2007. It was the Heavyweight grade and I changed over to the Lightweight in 2009. It is probably due for a change for this season

I've been told that the real problem is end float and only a total gearbox rebuild with new bits will sort this out.
I suspect that after such a life that replacing things like selector forks and possibly bearings is on the cards. I have a couple of spare gearboxes with bits so that shouldn't pose a problem.

Only just noticed this - don't know much about gearboxes but I do know that on my alfetta the jumping out of 2nd and general sloppyness was fixed by just replacing the selector fork (actually by building it up with a bit of welding and grinding). Obviously if the whole box is sad its a good time to do more work than that - but if its otherwise good its not a big job to just do the fork.

alfa duk

Hey dehne, most guys run the lightweight and those that did use the superlight changed. I have always used the lightweight with good results as long as the box was good - refer previous post, It may save you some cash in the end. Doug
84 gtv6 andalusia
80 gtv group s