Front end rebuild

Started by sportscar, September 14, 2007, 09:09:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sportscar

Hi all , recently i installed some Koni shockers to my Alfa 1750.
Now i'm looking at doing up the whole front end.It looks like it's never been touched.
Had a few problems recently getting parts for it.
Any idea who stocks front end parts for a series 1 ,105 coupe

Simon Bidese

Hi Sportscar, try the sponsors page from the website, Alfa Repairs / Monza Motors (Bayswater) should have what you require.

Simon

sportscar

hi thanks i know the guys at monza motors ,they're very friendly
I was planning on doing the work myself ,just want to know if anyone has done there front end in one of these cars recently,there seems to be alot of play in the steering too.

Colin Byrne

Turin Imports is another good one for new parts like that, and they give a discount if you're a club member.  Parts that may require replacing are the 6 steering tie rod ends ($50 each), be sure to order the correct one as there are two with left hand and two with right hand threads.  The lower control arm ball joint ($100 each) and the top camber arm (not sure how much) and if you are going to replace the camber arm you can always make it adjustable (vin sharp as these).  The top caster arm ball joints are hard to find but you can get new inserts for the caster arm bush (something I need to get for my car). 
The steering tie rods are easy to replace if you have a suitable ball joint remover.  The hard parts is re-aligning the steering as to do it properly to get the correct Ackerman values requires you to string line the car, and follow the lengthy procedure in the manual, and you can guarantee if you take it to a wheel alignment shop they wont do it properly.
Changing the top camber arm is reasonable easy, jack the car up, take the wheel off and then lower the bottom control arm onto a jack stand, which should raise the top arm of the droop stop, then you can undo the inboard bolt from the engine bay and remove the ball joint.  Not sure if you can do the bottom ball joint in the same manner as you may need to remove the spring, which to do safely requires the special tool.
If there's play in the steering it's almost defiantly coming from the steering box, first thing to do is ensure all the bolts that hold the top cover of the steering box are tight, they do come loose, if you've done that and there's still some slack try removing the two bolts of the little top cover, under that there should be a stack of shims, try removing one and put it back together and check it.

Good luck!
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Sheldon McIntosh

Hey Colin, can you build a 90 for your next Targa car please?

Colin Byrne

Having an extra couple of cylinders to play with is tempting, maybe a 105 / 90 hybrid?, maybe then I wouldn't have to struggle so much to get around you on the straight!
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Sheldon McIntosh

Yeah I was surprised how long it took for you to get past, I was expecting you to tuck in behind for a tow!

That baby's got more Back than J Lo,Shakira and Beyonce in a threesome.  Even Scott managed to draft me down the straight in his 12hp Blue Thunder.

Scott Farquharson

Yeah baby, that thing punches a big hole in the air
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)