Project car - 1989 75 3.0 V6 [Updated 12 November 2021]

Started by shiny_car, July 05, 2011, 09:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bteoh

Richard,
Great work as usual. What did you end up with regarding the overhead lamp - Did you use the 5W Cree or 10W Cree? I noticed ebay has a 15W cree. Not sure how bright that might be?

GTVeloce

I wound up using 2 Aerpro SMDx6. I found they gave a 'good' amount of light. Whereby I could actually see everything in the car at night with the light on but not too bright that I stood out every time I opened my door! At $20 each they weren't cheap but I think well worth it.

bteoh

Hey Julian,
Where did you get the aerpro bulbs from and what wattage were they? I am also hoping to swap the bulbs on my GTV6s to get some respectable light . Currently they are hopeless :)

shiny_car

Quote from: bteoh on December 11, 2014, 04:43:19 PM
Richard,
Great work as usual. What did you end up with regarding the overhead lamp - Did you use the 5W Cree or 10W Cree? I noticed ebay has a 15W cree. Not sure how bright that might be?

Cheers.

I haven't upgraded the 3W CREE's yet. No rush. I also want to try and research/find specs on heat dissipation compared with the original incandescents; I don't want to risk melting the light panel.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

GTVeloce

Where did you get the aerpro bulbs from and what wattage were they? I am also hoping to swap the bulbs on my GTV6s to get some respectable light . Currently they are hopeless :)
I bought them from Auto One in Melbourne but I see Super Cheap also sell them.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Aerpro-SMD-Interior-LED-Lights-White-6-x-SMD-Festoon.aspx?pid=283925#Recommendations

I can't remember if it is 36mm or 41mm. I also put some in my GTV but to be honest, the bigger issue is the placement of the lights (behind your head!). I made some custom lights and wiring (just using the wiring from the door switch) and installed them in the kick panels. Now all four lights come on at once. Not perfect but much better than before.

Sorry for the highjack...

filippo parisse

Un bel lavoro!!
Quote from: GTVeloce on December 14, 2014, 08:00:23 PM
I bought them from Auto One in Melbourne but I see Super Cheap also sell them.
http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/Aerpro-SMD-Interior-LED-Lights-White-6-x-SMD-Festoon.aspx?pid=283925#Recommendations

I can't remember if it is 36mm or 41mm. I also put some in my GTV but to be honest, the bigger issue is the placement of the lights (behind your head!). I made some custom lights and wiring (just using the wiring from the door switch) and installed them in the kick panels. Now all four lights come on at once. Not perfect but much better than before.

Sorry for the highjack...

jazig.k

Must be almost due for another timing belt, right?  ;D Maybe something to include in another update?
I'm on arvo shit ATM, so just re-read through the whole thread. Still inspiring stuff

shiny_car

Ha, thanks. :)

Unfortunately, no updates! I'm still in the process of sorting out the garage space in the new home, so I'm some way off being at the stage or resuming work. Though I'm eager to get back into it!  :(

julianB

Shiny car- firstly, congratulations on all your work- this is simply incredible to see - most of us have fiddled with our cars, but you're taking things to a whole new level!

Loved the shifter mods and something I had planned to do very soon- thanks for the rundown on that!

I've trawled through and may have missed details, but I'd like more info on your tarox discs...
I have some 156 GTA series two brembos that will need discs soon.
I'm running 17s on my GTV6...

Keep the posts coming... That thing is going to look great with the kit and superleggeras on it!
85 GTV6 "Juliet"
GTA conversion-
AHM ITB setup, Jim K manifolds & 10.3 cams, M84
17" Work Meister S1R
330mm Brembo front, vented rears
RS coilovers and bits
Recaro LX mesh headrest buckets

'68 step nose Junior "Romeo"
bare metal project

shiny_car

Cheer Julian

The discs I have are 2-piece Tarox, with steel discs and aluminium hats (non-floating). I bought them from an online store in Italy where I have purchased other products before (but as with any overseas store, I strongly advise touching base first via email, to ensure they are 'there' and confirm pricing including postage; things change, so if you don't hear from them, go elsewhere with your money).
http://www.ricambituning.it/en/index.asp

Unfortunately, they were expensive, totally around A$1400 including delivery. And A$ was stronger back then too IIRC.

Discs: KMRD0038
Centre hats: just ask for matching hats to suit the above discs for the 75
https://strg01c.suyara.net/download/T1cAAL0EAAAvOGV9dDpyazYoZg1 (Tarox download page for .pdf of discs)

The next major step is brackets for your calipers. I had mine custom designed and machined by a local engineering workshop in Geelong. I took one set of caliper + disc + hub/steering knuckle to them, allowing them to measure and create. Another $500.

Let me know if you need more info.
Cheers, Richard

ronbee

Quote from: shiny_car on November 05, 2011, 06:40:25 PM

Hello,

I have a question about the hose between the fuelrail and the injectors. Originally they only use the ferrules to keep the hose on. I see you also used hoseclamps, i guess as an extra security measure to prevent the hose from popping off. I read somewhere on the internet that it's not recommended to use both the ferrules and the hoseclamps. Personally i think it's better the way you do it. What's you experience with this?

Thanks

Ronald

VeeSix

Is this the kit/look you decided on in the end Richard?
Are you going to add a Zender type boot spoiler as well as in attached photo?  :)
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 V6 2.5 12V 
1986 Alfa Romeo 90 V6 2.5 12V
1990 Alfa Romeo 75 V6 3.0 12V Potenziata
1990 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V Zender
1991 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV
1992 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 3.0 12V QV

shiny_car

Quote from: ronbee on May 21, 2015, 02:09:29 AMI have a question about the hose between the fuelrail and the injectors. Originally they only use the ferrules to keep the hose on. I see you also used hoseclamps, i guess as an extra security measure to prevent the hose from popping off. I read somewhere on the internet that it's not recommended to use both the ferrules and the hoseclamps. Personally i think it's better the way you do it. What's you experience with this?

Hey Ronald. I don't have much experience with ferrules (certainly not an engineering one), except to remove the factory ones. I decided to use clamps because - to me - they seem reliable. On the other hand, I don't know whether there's a factory 'trick' to ferrules, but to me they don't offer much security in keeping the hose in place, except to stop the very end of the hose from expanding. So I wasn't confident to just slip the new hose in position with a ferrule. Also, the factory style ferrules are very shallow compared with some pictures I've seen on the internet; I just can't see how they have much effect. I don't see how using a shallow ferrule plus clamp, together, would have a negative effect.

My fuel hose clamps are meant to be designed specifically for this application, apparently reducing possible damage to the hose (compared with normal worm drive clamps).

Quote from: VeeSix on May 21, 2015, 12:08:13 PM
Is this the kit/look you decided on in the end Richard?
Are you going to add a Zender type boot spoiler as well as in attached photo?  :)

Similar kit (Evoluzione style), but without the Zender boot spoiler. I really dislike that boot spoiler!  :P

Mick A

Hello,

The hose clamps won't do any harm, but they are not needed.
I have replaced these hoses on many cars over the years and have never seen one fail on the barb fitting, only the hoses splitting causing fuel leaks due to old age. 35mm is the correct length to cut the hoses from memory.

Cheers.

Mick

Mick A

Hah, sorry I just realised that picture was taken in 2011. I'm a bit behind the times!