Project car - 1989 75 3.0 V6 [Updated 12 November 2021]

Started by shiny_car, July 05, 2011, 09:38:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john m

Shiny's back!.......with a vengeance. Wow, checkout the new 4 car garage with storage space to boot. Love it, put up picture of your previous cramped man cave for comparison. Envious but inspired. Great work.
jm
Now
84: GTV6 White-stock
84: Giulietta Red-club sprints
69: GTV1750 Red-on blocks
Then
71: Berlina 2000 man.-UK import

john m

I just saw the damaged 75 fuel tank. Possible causes:
loose heavy object hits tank under hard braking?
second hand replacement due to rust in original tank?
"drum crush", fuel cap on hot tank is replaced then tank is immediately cooled by some event? PO forgets to clip down the lid on ice filled esky, takes off for an spills iced water all over boot floor?
I'm out of ideas  ???
jm
Now
84: GTV6 White-stock
84: Giulietta Red-club sprints
69: GTV1750 Red-on blocks
Then
71: Berlina 2000 man.-UK import

jazig.k

WOO! Good to see the best thread make a return!

The fuel tank issue is likely blocked likes or vapor canister. Fuel pump sucks fuel out to feed the horses, no air get back in to replace the displaced fuel, tank caves in under vacuum. Happens to all sorts of cars I've seen online, but BMW's seem plagued with it to the point the vapor canister it pretty much a service replaced item. Once the tank caves in to a point, it's actually easier to draw air in through the blockage than collapse the tank further. Or the blockage frees up.

ARQ164 Shane

Hi Shiny,
I fill a song coming on see if you can pick it.
Shiny back tell a friend, Shiny back Shiny back Shiny back
sounded better in my head LOL

Shane
Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

GeeTV

Daylight savings is a great time to spend hours of additional glorious sunshine under a car!!!!..... Any inspirational update here?

Craig_m67

You should grab the sport wagon boot catch mechanism (or a sedan perhaps) when you grab the badge/button.  It's a much nicer integrated unit that looks kinda similar (memory)
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

shiny_car

I've got nothin'.  :'(

So...
- I haven't touched the car in a long time
- it's still there, and the intention is still there...so, one day
- I bought an old school Alpine CD headunit (CDA-7942R), that will integrate with the modern-day digital processor
- there's a BlueTooth unit so I can play music from my iPhone
- did I ever show the Evoluzione bodykit that I bought through here - unfitted of course  :P

@ Craig_m67: cheers, I'll have a look

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

easyrider

Good day all.

First sorry for my englisch, i am from the netherlands and i found this topic in google.
I am working on my Alfa 75 1.8 IE to restore it.
This topic is very useful for me and it has good tips.
I will follow this topic, keep up the good work.

My website about the restauration is www.alfaromeo75.nl
the restauration can be found at www.alfaromeo75.nl/restauratie-alfa-romeo-75-1-8/

GeeTV

^ One of the best threads on the internet IMHO & and I don't even own a 75!.... In fact only started appreciating then recently [insert red face here].

Dcal

Brilliant thread and a brilliant resource for people restoring these great cars.
Many thanks for putting so much detail into of your posts and your photography puts the rest of us to shame.

I found this thread while trying to get details of the underside of a 75 and I found it surprisingly difficult.
This thread is a lifesaver.

I'm doing up a twin spark LE at the moment and trying to keep it factory.
Unfortunately it's in a lot worse shape than yours and I'm certainly not the first person to work on it so a lot of bodges had to be removed and I've no idea of how many of the original details were e.g. pipe runs etc.

If anyone's interested my efforts are on the UK website "Mig welding forum"
https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/25-year-old-alfa-75-back-from-the-brink-hopefully.81348/

admin, feel free to delete the link if it's not allowed

Thanks again

Citroƫnbender

Welcome, good to hear of another "youngtimer" project car.

Colin Edwards

Hi Dcal,

Welcome aboard!

The amount of damage done by salt to even the better protected cars never ceases to amaze and dismay me!

Great panel fabrication and repair work - well done!!  I hope my 75 never gets anywhere near what you are facing.

Colin
Present
2023 Tonale Veloce
2018 Abarth 124 Spider
1987 75 3.0

Past
2020 Giulietta Veloce
2015 Giulietta QV
2009 159 3.2 Ti Q4
2012 Giulietta TCT Veloce
2006 147 Ti 2 door Selespeed
1979 Alfasud Ti 1.5

shiny_car

Glad to know it has been of help. Hearing this, it reassures me that it's worth the cost of having all the photos active.

I was recently at the crossroads as to whether A$300 per annum to continue having all the photos hosted was worth my while; these days, I could find a far cheaper website for hosting, but I have a couple thousand from this thread alone linked via url, so relocating them and updating every link would be an 'impossible task'.  ::)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

easyrider

This thread is really a great help for me.
And its good to read that you want to keep the photo's online.
Respect !!!!!

Hudders

Hi Shiny_car, I just wanted to say thanks so much for posting all those photos and tech info, I have not long bought a 75 and stumbled across this thread when googling about why my oil pressure gauge wasn't working and saw your post about replacing the sender unit, without your clear pictures and helpful info I would have struggled to identify where it was and how to go about removing it.

I've spent the last few days binge reading all 25 pages and doing my best to absorb as much info as I can, hopefully, one day you will get to put some more time into the car and we will get to see what will be one of the nicest 75s (in the voice of Jeremy Clarkson)..... "in the world"

So thanks again for all your hard work, anyone that has a 75 will certainly benefit from your work you have put in thus far, but don't fret about finishing it, Project Binky is over 5 years in the making and is showing little signs of finishing any time soon so you're in good company.

*For anyone wondering what is Project Binky, go check out Bad Obsession motorsport on YouTube and marvel at one heavily modded Mini.
Alfa 75 3.0 V6 (1988)