1750 Series 1 & 2 engine - knowledge required please ....

Started by Ash Gordon, July 02, 2011, 08:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash Gordon

I have acquired a spare engine for my series 1 1750 and after another helpful forum post have discovered it's a 1750 series 2 engine. Stamped with a triangle with a dot in the centre.

The current engine in the one it was born with so I am unlikely to want to change it over unless it's absolutely necessary.

What if anything are the differences in the two engines?

If I discover anything internal is terminal what parts are interchangeable, i.e. what can I use for rebuild if necessary?
'69 105 1750 GTV White (SLOW work in progress)
'72 105 2000 GTV Green ( Donor Car)

Mark Baigent

Interesting question Ash ... to my knowledge the 1750 engine in Australia remained unchanged when the Series 2 body came out (eg: plain bumpers of Series 1 going to bumpers with over riders and changed interior etc) I've not heard of a Series 2 1750 engine - perhaps it related to those 1750's that were Spica fuel injected in the USA to meet their newly emerging emissions standards ?? It will be good for others 'in the know' to enlighten us - there's always something to learn everyday on this Forum ! 

pep105

As far as I know 2 things changed on the series 2 1750 engine, first the cams were upgraded to 10548 spec and second offset
pistons were introduced, with the hole in the piston for the wrist pin offset 3mm to the intake side.
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

berlinaman

I have also seen the series 1 1750 engine (in a coupe) with the crossover tube air filter to carbie set up, like a pre 70's giulia super. While this may not change the internals of the engine it changes the appearance, which in my opinion is rather pleasing.

cheers

Tony

Ash Gordon

After the 1st few posts though I had better check the engine in the car.

I was presuming a series 1 car would have a series 1 engine & Tony's mention of a cross over air filter raised a few alarm bells as mine doesn't have the cross over. ???

After cleaning off the oil & grime it turns out it's also a series 2 engine with the dot in the middle of the triangle.

So I now know I have a matching spare or donor engine ...  :D

Evan Bottcher

Series 1 only had the cross-over air filter.  Vin says our series 1 (December 1968) is a 'series 1.5' (no cross over air filter, and the coil mounted on the firewall instead of the fender).  So the cam cover shape probably isn't conclusive.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

cjheath

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on July 03, 2011, 04:13:07 PM
Series 1 only had the cross-over air filter.  Vin says our series 1 (December 1968) is a 'series 1.5' (no cross over air filter, and the coil mounted on the firewall instead of the fender).  So the cam cover shape probably isn't conclusive.

Sounds the same as my (31st Jan 1969) Series 1, which didn't have the cross-over air filter either. Best thing is to send your chassis number to mailto:centrodocumentazione@alfaromeo.com and ask them for the dates of manufacture, etc.

Ash Gordon

Found the email I received back in 2008 from centrodocumentazione@alfaromeo.com, my car was manufactured in April 1969. - The body colour is hawthorn white, with black skai interiors.

Also no indent in the cam cover and the coil is mounted on the firewall.

series"1.5 " it is then....

Evan Bottcher

So the question is - when did the the 'series 2' engines come in (triangle with dot).  Was that definitely lined up from the series 2 body changes, or might it have come in earlier?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

aggie57

Cars from those times can come with a real mish mash of parts as Alfa tended to introduce new components as the old ones ran out or even side by side.  They even continued to build old models after their 'replacements' were released, a practice that continued well into the 70's.

Also, models from one market could also differ significantly from what was notionally the same model for another market so it's often hard to state categorically that a car is 100% 'correct' due to it's build date. Better to be content that it's as it left the factory.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

pep105

Quote from: aggie57 on July 04, 2011, 06:09:23 AM
Cars from those times can come with a real mish mash of parts as Alfa tended to introduce new components as the old ones ran out or even side by side.  They even continued to build old models after their 'replacements' were released, a practice that continued well into the 70's.

Also, models from one market could also differ significantly from what was notionally the same model for another market so it's often hard to state categorically that a car is 100% 'correct' due to it's build date. Better to be content that it's as it left the factory.

This may explain why some 1750 S1's had boot badges and others didn't or why not all S1's have the same tail lights. I need to remember that were talking about Italians here so 'mish mash' is an appropiate term when referring to part/component breakpoints. Ive been at Toyota for too long...........  
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

Merv

I just found this old thread on '1.5' Series cars.  Most interesting.  My Jan 69 car has several of these transition features and it explains many of the anomalies that creep into discussions about air cleaner tyres, boot lid badges, and so on.  AR, like Porsche and others at the time, used the parts they had in stock or arriving early for new models, to build the transition cars.
Thanks Merv
Cars:
Alfa Romeo Veloce 1750 1/1969
Porsche 911, 3.2 1988
Porsche 911 1968 (sold)
Porsche 356S 1962
Alfa GTV 1750 (sold)
Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 (sold)