Water Pump failure 159 JTDM 1.9l 2007

Started by cdscons, June 21, 2011, 11:37:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdscons

Just collected my 159 after 3 weeks in the dealership, following a water pump seizure which damaged the cam belt and overhead gear, in excess of $4000.
Out of warranty Dec 10, only 63000km. My 5th (and last!) Alfa, having had 2 33's, a 147, 156 and this 159. All purchased new from Brisbane dealership, all serviced by them.

Only previous problem was Selespeed failure on the 156 which was repaired under warranty (took about 3 months). When problem surfaced, still had water, checked the owner manual and the signal indicated OK to drive, but to check. Stopped after 3k, called a towtruck.

I considered that the water pump should not have failed, and asked for some contribution to the repairs.  ATECO not interested, and dealership also not prepared to assist.

Seems that unless you can afford to replace the vehicle prior to expiry of warranty, shouldn't buy!! 

Has anyone else experienced the water pump failure on this engine? 

colcol

Don't know much about the 159 diesel, but it sounds like an arrangement like twin sparks and JTS's were the water pump is used as a cam belt idler, if the water pump seals starts to leak, then sometimes the water gets in the bearings and causes them to seize, if you had no loss of coolant before this, then it won't this, it could be the bearing grease has dried out and the water pump has stopped rotating and the cam belt has worn itself out on the seized water pump pulley, the only other thing is the cam belt could be too tight and has worn out the bearing in the water pump, but you would notice the screech from the belt and the bearing, on 156 and 147 fours it is recommended by some that the water pump be changed every 100,000klms or 6 years, that is every 2nd cam belt renewal, as it is a vital part of the timing system, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bix

Sorry to hear that cdscons. Out of interest, was the toothed timing drive belt ever replaced as I wonder whether an inspection of the water pump during that exercise could have saved you some dough?

cdscons

Thanks, will need to check, probably due at  the current service, but not sure.

wankski

wp seizure has been known to happen on diesel models.. overall belt failure is rarer than on petrol models, but this is almost always the cause...

its strange... why did your bill get to 4k, on the multivalve engines, the rockers normally perish but the valves are usually ok...