Greetings Alfisti!

Started by AndrewK, June 11, 2011, 10:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndrewK

Hello All,

My wife and I purchased our first Alfa on Wednesday- a one (lady) owner 2001 147 5 speed manual 5 door with full service history (mostly at the dealer). Several options too (Inca Blue metallic paint, sunroof, leather trim, alloys) complete with new tyres and 4 months rego.

We couldn't be happier as it has been fastidiously maintained. Only thing is the timing belt needs changing. The car has 161K on the clock and the belt was last changed by Alfa Italia at 106K in July 06. It is booked in next Friday at Alfamotive for the timing belt change. Only question is that we need to go to Canberra for work this week. Just wondering if the belt will be up to this, or will it be an invitation for bent valves or worse?

I think the Alfa bug has already bitten, but I fear I might have already been a carrier, due to an uncle that had a 1970s GTV (?) with twin Weber carbs in the early 90s (glorious induction roar).

Cheers,

Andrew

Brad M

Welcome, before I go further ... don't risk it that was 5 years ago and 60k.

A quick search here on TS belt failures will scare you into garaging it until you take it into have the belts done.

Sounds like a nice car, put up some pictures (before you garage it until it's serviced !!!) when you can.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

colcol

The belts tend to dry out and become brittle, the teeth come off even though the belt doesn't actually break, but with it missing teeth it goes loose and bang, i have seen belts that look ok, but you can pull the teeth off with your fingers, 4 years maybe ok, but 5 years could be skating on thin ice, but gee aren't they are great car!, i hope you get many years of enjoyable driving, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

AndrewK

Thankyou Brad and Colin. We've been suitably scared into garaging the Alfa until Friday. Getting a rental or borrowing the sister in law's turbo Saab for the Sydney-Canberra trip.
Will post up some pics later. The car looks less than half its age. I'd say it's been garaged all its life. Can't wait to get behind the wheel again.

AndrewK

Hello again,

Our 147 spent last Friday with Andrew at Alfamotive in Marrickville. I asked him to go over it with a fine tooth comb, change the timing belt and give it a full service. True to his reputation, he was exceptionally friendly and competent. With a new timing belt and a sump full of fresh Selenia, the 147 is an absolute joy to drive. Andrew gave our 147 the thumbs up, saying it has been very well cared for. All it needs now is another visit next week to replace lower control arm bushes (Andrew had run our the day before). Apparently this was the cause of the intermittent and fleeting VGC/ABS System Failure notifications.

Anyway, here's a pic after a wash and chamois.

I've been reading this forum with keen interest and have been entertaining thoughts of getting an Alfetta or similar to go supersprinting with  ;D

Andrew

AndrewK

Hey all again,

Been a while but we've just bought a 2007 159 2.4 turbo diesel in superb condition and with only 61k on the clock. Should pick it up this week before giving to Arnaldo & Pino for a service.

Any major issues with these? Just about every online review I've read raves about the 159.

Cheers,

Andrew

Evan Bottcher

Awesome cars.  That 2.4 JTDm engine is incredible.  Make sure to take it for a good highway/freeway run regularly to allow the particulate filter to burn out.  As it gets to higher mileage you may run into trouble with the EGR valve and carbon deposits in the intake manifold.  Solvable problems, take it to the dealer or a good independent (club supporter).

Ours has been reliable (touch wood), comfortable, and surprisingly entertaining to drive.  Just had to replace a tie rod (125,000km), and we replaced the EGR valve about 110,000km.  Had to replace the clutch and brake switches behind the pedals, as they died.  Nothing too major.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

AndrewK

Thanks Evan for the heads up RE the particulate filter. We're wanting to do regular Sydney - Southern Highlands trips which should take care of that.
I see that Arnaldo & Pino are going to give a talk at the July meeting of the NSW Alfa club. They will be servicing the 159, as they have our 147.

colcol

Hello Andrew, is your 159 a auto or manual?, the Victorian Alfa Romeo owners club are having a workshop night at Zagames in Richmond, Victoria, for current model Alfa Romeo's which includes MiTo, Guilietta and the new again 159, so if you fancy a trip down the road to Melbourne, give me a bell......you know what it is like with Alfa Romeo's, any excuse for a drive, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

AndrewK

Hey Colin,

Thanks for the invitation, but I doubt we can drive to Melbourne soon due to work commitments. We are keen to drive the 159 down there at some stage to visit family.

Our 159 is an automatic (Q-Tronic?). The dealer (Sydney Prestige) told me they send any Sillyspeeds they get straight to the auctions...

Andrew

colcol

Hello Andrew, sorry you can't make down to Melbourne to the Zagame's workshop night for current models, the auto in the 2.4 is a proper auto, a 6 speeder made by Aisin in Japan, it works very well and doesn't give trouble and is used in a lot of cars, so there is some knowledge of servicing it, at last years Workshop night, they told us that if you use the premium diesel in the 159, it runs better and is not as noisy as the standard diesel, they also have a long cam belt life, that makes 147 and 156 owners weep, [JTS and twin sparks], and if the cam belt breaks, then the rollers take a bullet to save the engine, Colin.