1965 2600 Sprint for auction in Melbourne

Started by massiveluvbuddy67, June 03, 2011, 08:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

massiveluvbuddy67

Hi all potential 2600 owners.
One is coming up for auction at the next Shannons auction in July.
Does anyone know anything about this car?
I will head down and have a look on Saturday and report back.
We only have two active 2600s in the Vic club at the moment. This could be an opportunity.
Cheers
Phil

Ads

Hi Phil,

This car was purchased in the UK at a Bonhams auction in 2010 and subsequently brought over to Australia.  The full details of it should be released onto the Shannons site int he next couple of days.

http://bit.ly/lnqGlG

AD
Prev: 75 TS
Prev: 1974 1600GT Junior (2 litre)

massiveluvbuddy67

This 2600, based on description and work done, sounds like an excelent prospect. I went down on Saturday (in my 2600) to view and take a few photos but unfortunately the car was not at the Warrigul Rd showroom.
The interior looks lovely in the photos. My car has electronic ingntion too and it is a great asset. I am sure the Dellortos will make for an interesting drive.
The most important aspect for any English sourced car is to have the chassis, sills and guards checked for rust.

Davidm1600

It certainly does sound like a lovely car, which has had big $$ thrown at.  Will be most interesting to see what price it might go for, as there have been quite a number of restoration project 2600s available here in Aus over the past few years for relatively little entry money.

The only ones for sale via carsales in the last couple of years have had big price tags on them.  I suspect they still though are largely under-appreciated by many.  I like them a lot but don't have the $$, time or space at the moment.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

massiveluvbuddy67

Hi,
Some good obeservations from David on cars that need work being available for sale. My strong advice is buy one where someone else has done the restoration. It may cost more upfront but unless you are a mechanical genius with access to alot of 2600 parts and have spare time, a restoration will cost way more.
Caveat: All opinions are mine and are based on experiences my wife has little knowledge of. "Cone of silence" required!  ;)
Phil

tony

This car , as does the 101 sprint advertised in the last club allegerita are the "vintage" cars of the future, and being a former owner of a 2600 and a current owner of a 101 , it would be fantastic to see this car that someone has made considerable effort to bring to this country stay in Victoria [ as Phil rightly says there are to few good ones here, and we need more ]. Genuine RHD, with Dellorto conversion and electronic ignition this car will be a breeze to run and will be worth every dollar. The guy has gone to the trouble of replicating the correct pattern on the seats, very difficult to do with out the right gear, so it appears tp present well. 101,s are fast appreciating and I fail to see why a good 2600 should not do the same. A correctly fettled one is a joy to drive...contrary to some reports.

ciao Tony
tony hawker
1962 1300 giulietta sprint veloce
1967 1600 giulia gt veloce
1970 1750 gtv
2002 156 2.5 6 speed monza
previous...
1963 2600 sprint
1977 alfetta group sc
1978 alfetta gtv
1969 1750 gtv
1985 gtv6 tarmac rally car
1985 gtv6 race car

David Mills

Hey Phil, agree with the sentiments but the Bonhams article mentions a refurbishment at 30k quid then another at 45k quid (maybe thats incremental).  Gee, you could nearly restore  a TZ1 for that!! Cheers
Dave

massiveluvbuddy67

Hi Dave,
The TZ1 is cheaper than that! Not much inside one of those!  :)
Certainly no sound deadening.
Cheers
Phil

EZEE

Hi

Has anyone got any expert input on trying to value a 2600, either this one or another if it were to come up for sale? I know it is an open ended question but lets assume we are talking about a decent example like this one (or better) Shannons have their estimate I know but I am looking at local value history. How many 2600s would still be around in Australia? I am still new so apologies if these are too many questions at once or obvious to most of you....

Regards

Emmanuel

Davidm1600

Hi mate, Phil, David etc are probably far better based to make comments on these cars, but from my observations over the past few years, I can say that top end cars have been for sale between say the mid/high $20s to over $40K.

Reasonable condition 2600 sprints have been for sale between $10-20, the price difference reflecting condition, originality etc.

Below this you are mostly in the area of restoration projects.  I can't quite recall the cheapest one I have seen (probably on Flea Bay) but think it was south of $5k.  I know one example down here in that category, owned by a guy who has a second one in far better nick.

The bargain (if I can call it that) from my observations was a Navy Blue one a year or two ago which was for sale on Flea Bay for around $9-10K ??  which had a holden 6 fitted, the bodywork had been restored, the interior appeared to be nice and apparently the car drove well, it even came with its original engine, though this needed rebuilding.

I guess if you are after one, talk to Phil as I think I recall him being aware of one for sale which needed some restoration but basically it seemed to be a good opportunity.  It may have sold by now.  Otherwise watch the club adds, ebay, etc.  They do turn up occasionally.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

EZEE

Hi Davidm1750,

Thanks for the input, I am currently looking at one that is just above your top end value but has been totally restored and looks amazing....just waiting on the history file.

I'd want something I would keep long term but has a documented history. If successful I will post pictures and details, currently looking at few cars at once....

Cheers

John Hanslow

Was the 2600 coupe sold at the Shannons Auction ? 

Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

Brad M

06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

massiveluvbuddy67

I think it is extremely important to read the pre-purchase inspection report and if you are still interested, read it AGAIN, slowly. I give full credit to Shannons for this approach. The report is the key factor, IMHO. I saw the car at the Motorshow. It looked great! I absolutely loved it! These cars are sumptuous and it has had alot of $ put into it. But, it has come from the UK.

It is a "mud guard". (If you do not know what this, is chat to me at the club night on Wednesday).

Caveat: I am no motor expert, mechanical expert or body expert and I love the 2600 to bits!

David Mills

OK I'd like to have my two bob's worth on this but if the administrators want to shift this discussion to a new thread, that is a good idea.

Have always loved the 2600.  Have driven quite a few and nearly bought a couple.  No question, they are lovely things. The issue is, what is correct pricing for old Alfas?  It seems to be derigeur now to fully strip a 105, stick it on a rotsserie and work up from there.  In the end you have a $50,000 plus car and that is fine.

But what to do if there is a nice looking car available that allegedly has lots of $$$ thown at it in the past but still has plenty of faults?  (Read the Shannons report on that 2600).

So, what's your call?  Rough and as cheap as you can get or something that looks pretty and you hope like hell it is all good underneath?

We all know we will never recover the cost of our restorations but that's OK; it's a hobby after all.

I have an Alfa restoration project which has been ongoing for nearly 40 years.  Would I rather havre a new pretty one? No!

Cheers Dave