159 "Connection Problems" announcement whenever the car is switched off

Started by bix, May 23, 2011, 09:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bix

Reaching out to anyone who might be able to provide some information around this "Connection Problems" announcement I receive whenever I remove the key from our 159 Sportwagon (MY2007). We seem to receive this message regardless of whether or not a mobile phone is connected via the bluetooth in-car system. Bluetooth seems to work fine.

Thanks all.

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hi Bix,

I suggest a software upgrade as a first step.
I have attached instructions for you.
The software and instructions can be found at http://www.fiat.co.uk/blueandme/
Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

bix

Thanks Biggus. That's a big help.
My only concern is that I've never noticed a UBS connection in the car. Too late to check now, so maybe tomorrow.

alfagtv100 (Biggus)

Hey Bix,
It should be in the glovebox, to the right, facing the passenger seat.
Cheers,
Marco.
Marco Leoncelli
2017 Giulia. Yeah, baby.
1971 1750 GTV Coupe Series II
Past: 2008 159 Ti V6 3.2, RenaultSport Clio 182 (smuf blue).

Cool Jesus

Bix, dude, I read the manual front to back, back to front and memorized it before I even drove my 159...arghhh! I loved the warning of allowing the car to relax after any exuberant driving.

If you weren't aware of the USB, then it definately sounds like a software update. You sound just like my father-in-law, he's owned his pajero for about 5 years. Where recently, I secretly installed an updated media centre/GPS into it. He thought I had also installed a pair of fog/front day driving lights, which I didn't. He had never noticed them and accidently bumped the stalk to turn them on. I took the credit for it anyway, hey free brownie points, why not.

As biggus suggested, the current firmware should resolve any issues, cross fingers. Make sure your battery is good, you don't want to loose power mid way through the update. Instructions are fairly straight forward. Not sure if mentioned in update FAQs, but turn off everything before hand, such as radio, auto wipers/lights/ac. Don't open any doors either. In fact the less electronics that are activated (preferrably none) the better. Takes some time for iy yo complete, I don't know read the manual while you're sitting there perhaps.

Let us know if it works out.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

bix

Thanks guys. Well there is a square hole on the righthand side in the glovebox but no usb interface. I've double checked the centre console with no luck. Any thoughts?

Brad M

Quote from: bix on May 31, 2011, 10:54:32 AM
Thanks guys. Well there is a square hole on the righthand side in the glovebox but no usb interface. I've double checked the centre console with no luck. Any thoughts?

Could the connection have fallen from the square hole into the dashboard cavity behind?

Can't imagine this is the case with the quality Alfa assembly though.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Cool Jesus

Bix, it was too good to be that simple a fix mate. Check out this url <http://ausalfa.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1788> which talks about this issue. As suggested the USB plug may have fallen, not sure if Blue&Me was standard in'07, evenso if the cars talking at you you must have it.

Picture shows the plug, rubber cap and windows logo that you should see in glove box.

If still no luck try a nice dealership to help point out what's going on or your fellow mexican alfisti are having a dyno day and 156 workshop soon.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

bix

Interesting.
There is definitely no Windows logos in my glovebox. Only a hole which has a door and nothing inside. I'll have a fiddle under the dash to see if there are any cables which may have come away from there and let you know.

bix

The 159 went in for a service today. The guys at Italian Job asked around and the answer is that my car (MY2007) was on the cusp of the "blue and me" option, and at least the usb port in the glovebox wasn't installed on the car despite the hole (see pic). That confirmed to me that at least I'm not going crazy!

AlfaOwner.com has an interesting thread thanks to Cool Jesus.
Pulled the stereo to try and mount a no-holes
phone bracket. (Which is garbage, not going to use it now.)
And lo-and-behold there is a USB port hidden
behind the lower facia of the stereo.

So perhaps there is a usb port, but it's going to require a bit of rooting around...