Brakepads

Started by Meng, June 06, 2011, 10:50:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meng

Apologies gentlemen, didn't mean to start a flame war.  Whichever pad I end up getting, there'll be someone who disagrees with the brand/type/performance/colour/price/look/whatever, but I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the stock brakes on the 159 would self-destruct in 3 hard laps or (probably) less  :)

One thing's for sure, I won't be getting yellows!
Alfa Romeo 156 GTA 3.2 V6

Neil Choi

Meng,

Getting back on topic and you would have by now gathered some opinions and heard some experiences.  Talk to 10 people about brake pads and you will get 10 different opinions and advices.  Same for tyres, petrol brand, parts suppliers, favourite breakfast cereal and best diets.

But as mentioned above and at meeting, everyone's feel for braking, driving style, application and the type of car are different.

I have used EBC for years well before RDA-EBC got involved with the club, so I present no bias, I have also used QFM, Hawk, Racebrakes, Ferodo, Lucas pads, they are all good.  i use EBC because it saves me $$$.  I started out using Greens and progressed to Reds, especially in the race car, road car stay on greens (for the sake of cost and it works on road and track).  I haven't venture into Yellows (too much $$$)

Since your 159 is a road car, go Green, unless you are driving and braking hard but really no real need to drive that hard on public roads, saves brake pads, discs and $$$.  But do consider the 159 is heavy.  Go Red if you feel uncomfortable about using Green.

But perhaps, start out on Greens and see how you go.  It might be all that is needed.  Anyway, going quick around the track is about controlling corner speed and keep car at optimal speed.

Better spend the extra money on some really good brake fluid (fluid is expensive) and bleed regularly.  I actually spend more on fluid vs a set of pads.

Quite a number of club sprinters and racers use EBC and have been for many years, well before involvement with club.

Then many use other brands with success as well.

Anyway, drop by Sandown and see for yourself on what goes on.

Neil

wankski

no need mate - i don't take offence online...and generally... all good...

not needed, but appreciated all the same  ;)