Prospective newbie

Started by blairyc, May 30, 2011, 06:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blairyc

Hi all

For the first time in my life I'm in a situation where I'm not completely reliant on my car for work and I have a bit (little) of extra cash to spare. I've always wanted an alfa but always felt they deserved to be rear wheel drive. Back home (Scotland) all the older alfas have rusted away, or are living sheltered lives in warm garages. I've got my eye on a 1985 GTV6 with a rebuilt motor. The thing that's putting me off a bit is that It'd have to be kept outside as I don't have a garage, is rust as big a killer over here as it is back home? Certainly there seems to be more older cars around so I'm guessing maybe not.

I'm also slightly apprehensive about the whole 'reliability' aspect, does anyone have any 'top tips' for things to look out for on these cars? I've read about the timing belt and how it has hydraulic tensioners, is that a problematic system?

Cheers all

Blair
Manly, NSW

ItalCarGuy

Alfas do last much longer over here, but living in Manly doesn't help! You should pop around and visit Robert at Manning Motors in Brookvale. He is well versed in these cars and would be a great local resource.

Cool Jesus

Oghh I Jimmie, though current weather trend excluded, you would have noticed that it isn't normally quite so moist in Oz as it is on the moors. Living along the coast in beachside suburbs is definately a killer on car bodies due to the salt air. I tend to avoid cars from these suburbs as a general rule. But since you got the coin to spend, have it rust proofed or fish oil it yourself as part of your yearly service regime. Check the forums for prone areas for rust to surface, though it sounds like you ahve some idea about it.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS