Alfetta wheels on a Sprint

Started by Fetta GTV, May 12, 2011, 08:46:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

116gtv

Those last ones look really good, and 14" would be good for the track, assuming 195/60s fit well in the wheel arches.

Paul Gulliver

QuoteWhat set of wheels do you all prefer, I cannot decide

Bathurst Globes , without a doubt. Gives the Alfa a bit of that Aussie muscle historic tourer mongrel  look about it.

A bit like a good looking bird taking a kelpie for a walk.

Simmons V4 wheels for show. Bathurst Globes for go ( sprinting)

Going to Philip Island Dave ??
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Fetta GTV

Nice description Paul
The Mongrel look works I think
What are the dates for Phillip Island, dont think I will have the Sprint ready but the alfetta could do with a run
1979 Alfetta GTV
1986 Alfa Sprint 1.5 twin carb

Fetta GTV

Quote from: 116gtv on November 29, 2011, 08:46:38 PM
Those last ones look really good, and 14" would be good for the track, assuming 195/60s fit well in the wheel arches.

They just fit, would need to get the lip on the guards rolled, they sit just inside the guard
1979 Alfetta GTV

Frank Musco

Quote from: Paul Gulliver on November 29, 2011, 10:42:20 PM
QuoteWhat set of wheels do you all prefer, I cannot decide

Bathurst Globes , without a doubt. Gives the Alfa a bit of that Aussie muscle historic tourer mongrel  look about it.

Yep, I agree with Gully.

My brother Joe is also fitting a White set to his race car, looks grouse!

Fetta GTV

Globes it is then, I had better give them a refurbish
have just replaced strut and steering rack boots, car should be back on the ground soon
Frank, are your globes hubcentric or do they locate on the studs with those non tapered type nuts?
1979 Alfetta GTV

116gtv

I suspect most have too big a diameter hub center, and require shoulder nuts - a big pita if u need to change frequently.  ;) at least u could get centering rings, or maybe taper the holes if there's enough meat?

Where r u getting your studs from? I need to order some long ones and  maybe I'll get open ended nuts at the same time to allow for different wheel options..

Frank Musco

My rims do not locate on the hub, they use the original bolts to centralise. So basically in reality my rims are hardly ever centralised. Bolts do not centralise the rim on the hub. I keep a piece of chalk and spin the rim marking the tyre to show me the eccentric. Then I loosen the bolts and tap the wheel to 'attempt' to centralise. It's a prick, and it really gives me the shits when I hit the track and before you know, my eyeballs are ready to drop out of my head! I love original parts, they just simply fit.
I also use two bolts with no head to screw into the hub to help me put the rim on and off.

colcol

Old engineering proverb that i just made up, spigots locate, bolts clamp, stray from this and you are on your own, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Frank Musco

Quote from: colcol on December 08, 2011, 09:43:36 PM
Old engineering proverb that i just made up, spigots locate, bolts clamp, stray from this and you are on your own, Colin.

Very wise proverb Colin, I like it.

Fetta GTV

The Starcorp rims have a machined ring in them to locate.
I tapped them out and they fit in the globes and seem to locate them nicely.
The globes came with shoulder bolts but this would mean converting to studs.
It all gets messy when you stray from the original setup

Quote from: 116gtv on December 08, 2011, 10:53:38 AM
Where r u getting your studs from? I need to order some long ones and  maybe I'll get open ended nuts at the same time to allow for different wheel options..
Not sure at the moment still, I just got a set of new bolts for the Starcorps and was hoping that the globes would be able to use bolts, Let me know where you get your.

Quote from: colcol on December 08, 2011, 09:43:36 PM
Good point Colin

1979 Alfetta GTV

colcol

When i use to sprint my 33, i had steel rims from an Alfa, and the spigot on the hub would locate the rim perfectly in the centre, and the bolts would do up good and the rims would still come loose due to flex in the steel rim, sold them to a Fiat owner and purchased some good telephone dial Speedlines, never had the problem again, unless i forgot to tighten the bolts, which happened now and then, steel rims are used mostly at wrecking yards to prop up old cars, which they are quite good at, also they can be used to roll up garden hoses, but sprinting on them?, flat out down the straight at Calder, and jump on the brakes and you get a massive wobble, no thanks, i will stick with good old Alfa Speedlines, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Ray Pignataro

Ask Frank Musco he would crack a steel rim nearly every sprint meeting.

colcol

Good to see steel wheels getting harder to get now, last Alfa Romeo to have steel wheels was 28 years ago, the single carb 33, about 20 years ago the Alfa club was considering banning steel wheels from sprint meetings due to safety issues, but alloys are ridiculously cheap second hand now, Colin.

Evan Bottcher

Plenty of steel wheels and plastic hubcaps on current model Alfa Romeos in Europe, Col.  Not quite so prestige (or expensive) over there.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal