Alfa 156 Radio starting on its own

Started by George Kolliou, May 11, 2011, 05:56:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Kolliou

I am new to Alfa, and have owned a 2005 156 TI since December 2010.

I was away for a few days and has the car parked by valet parking. In the morning the radio was playing. I also  found that when I turn the radio off, while driving, after abour 5 minutes the radio starts playing on ots own.

Any Ideas?

shiny_car

I've really only heard of similar issues in the 147/GT Blaupunkt 937 model headunits. But the 156 versions are probably not much different.

Ultimately, it can be a faulty headunit. Probably not worth having fixed/replaced. If it's the same fault described by others, keep a CD in the headunit at all times, which seems to prevent the radio coming on in a mysterious manner!

If you already have a CD loaded...I'm out of ideas.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

bix

You could try disconnecting the battery for a short spell to reset any gremlins. Let us know how you get on.

hammer

George,

I have exactly the same model 156 and have the same mystery radio issue. Put in a new battery at one point but the radio still randomly turns itself on. Very strange. The good point is that the battery seems to power the radio for a hell of a long time without running low on power.

I figured it was just one of those crazy Italian electrical gremlins and really gave it no further thought.

Cheers,

Brent

colcol

Don't blame the Italians for the faulty Radio, if its a Blaupunkt its made in Portugul, blame them, it could be the on off switch on the head unit, the head units are not too hard to take out, with the correct tools they are quite easy, you could always upgrade to a better head unit but then you have the hassle of rewiring and compatabillity issues with the remote buttons on the steering wheel, get a quote on fixing it before you bin it, or you may be able to get a good second hand unit from a Alfa wrecker, although you will have to get an unlock code for the replacement unit, anyway what is wrong with you people with your modern Hi-fis and epods, have you not heard the term, "turn down the radio, i can't hear the Alfa Romeo engine", Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

George Kolliou

Thanks for the advice.

I usually have a CD in the CD player, when the problem arose there was no CD in the player. I have now put in a CD and the problem has gone away (For today at least).

Colin considering what is on the radio the Alfa Engine is probably better listening.

I guess these are the joys of owning Alfas - Mine has been off the road for about 3 weeks since December. Fortunately all covered under the used car warranty. Thankfully the service manager at the dealership I bought from took time to get things right and communicated with Bruno at Marinello Pur Sang on how to fix things.

I guess I put up with this sort of stuff because the Alfa is by far the most fun car I have owned.

bix

George, have you asked the Valet parking attendant what he did to the car? The mind boggles.

colcol

George, why has your car been off the road for 3 weeks being mended?, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

AndrewM

Can I just confirm that leaving a CD in the player has solved this problem for me. Go figure....
AndrewM -156 JTS 2.0 Wagon (first Alfa, still feeling a bit nervous)