Finally Sold the Alfa

Started by mario147, April 14, 2011, 05:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidm1600

Just like new cars whether Italian (ie. Alfa) or any other make they all significantly depreciate.  I think this is clear to all, and for sure if this worries you don't buy new or near new.

The thing here though is that Mario never explained whether he had a new Italian bike or a classic one.  If new than from my observations of the bike market is that he is kidding himself IMHO, as you can spend $20-40K on a new one and in a few years it too will be only worth somewhere around a 1/2 to a 1/3rd of the original price.

On the other hand if he was into classic bikes, say like a bevel drive Ducati from the '70s or similar (ie. Laverda, Moto Guzzi, etc) then for sure he is onto a winner, just as owners of classic Alfas ie. 105s, 101s etc etc.  My brother in law has both a 73 750GT and a 72 750ss (the one down from the legendary Green Frame).  These bikes and similar are significantly increasing in value. 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

mario147

Just read the replies (couldn't resist coming back to the forum). I'm not dissing Alfa's - my mistake was buying it as an every day car. I dont worry too much about depreciation, but I do worry about excessive depreciation and I would put the Alfa in that category.

I bought the Alfa when it was almost 3 years old... Not brand new! My Ducati was 2 years old when I bought it and it only lost 2.5k in almost 4 years. No, it was not a limited edition or sought after model. It was in fact one of the least popular models in Ducati history - the 999s! It almost sent Ducati bankrupt. Yet it still held good value.

I think I am fairly realistic and I know vehicles lose most value in the first few years. But the Alfa continued to dive hard after 3 years. No vehicle i've ever owned has done this.

But in saying all this, the Alfa was a joy to drive and own. It was fun, looked great and I really will miss it. My gripe is that I dont understand the market and think Aussies really dont know what they're missing! If they think Holden's are more reliable than modern Alfa's, they're disillusioned!

aggie57

Mario - most of us own and have owned plenty of cars other than Alfa's.  The point most of us are making is that a new or nearish new car will always depreciate and even for a 3-yr old car $6k in 18 months is not a huge amount.

As a comparison, Redbook lists $16,700/$13,500 for max private sale/trade in value for a base 2008 Holden Commodore Omega.  The equivalent 2006 model is listed at $10,500/$7,900.  Scarily close to your experience with the 147.  And if someone paid top dollar for the 2008 car and it depreciated to the lowest level over 2 years to be the same point as the 2006 one its closer to $9k.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

bix

Buying a car or motorbike doesn't make a lot of economic sense to me, no matter how I try and do the sums. But did anyone see that great quote from Nick Mason in an interstate "Drive" section last Thursday? "If I could get back all the money I've ever spent on cars, I'd spend it on cars." Haha, I love it!

http://watoday.drive.com.au/motor-news/blogs/drive-blog/did-they-really-say-that-20110428-1dxxo.html