Whine at certain RPM

Started by 1300-GT-Junior, April 05, 2011, 11:00:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1300-GT-Junior

Hi all, sorry for another thread, however I have searched and cannot seem to find this discussion.

I now can start the car by hitting the solenoid, however, unfortunately tonight as I was driving home my 1300 GT Junior makes quite a high pitched whine at certain RPM, from what I can gather at around 2400 and again at 3200. I don't think it is gearbox related as the whine occurs when I have been in gear for a while and just hit the specified RPM.

I have no idea what to look for....... Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated.

1300-GT-Junior

For further information it still makes the noise when accelerating when the car is in neutral.

LaStregaNera

alternator feedback through the stereo?
Gearbox oil level ok?
Are all the rubber boots on the gearbox/tunnel arrangement in place and not torn? You get quite a bit of bearing and gear noise through there if the boots are rooted.
66 GT Veloce
Bimota SB6

1300-GT-Junior

Quote from: LaStregaNera on April 06, 2011, 08:34:32 AM
alternator feedback through the stereo?
Gearbox oil level ok?
Are all the rubber boots on the gearbox/tunnel arrangement in place and not torn? You get quite a bit of bearing and gear noise through there if the boots are rooted.

Didn't have the radio on, will check the gearbox oil level.

Not sure how to check the rubber boots, but the whine occurred not gradually, but all of a sudden, from memory I just took off from lights (possibly not my best gear change) and then it started.

1300-GT-Junior

From looking under my car a few days ago I did appear to be dropping some fluid from around the gearbox (I think my knowledge of cars is terrible).