Solenoid is gone - what to do

Started by 1300-GT-Junior, April 02, 2011, 08:47:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1300-GT-Junior

Went to start the car last night (1300 junior) and didn't get any response .

The battery was only 1 month old so I was thinking solenoid (because google told me to)

the RAA tapped the solenoid and it slowly cranked and I was able to get the 20km distance home.

My question, what parts are likely to require replacing?

I cannot find a 'solenoid' for sale on alfaholics for example.

Barry Edmunds

Basically you have two options; carry iron bar and keep tapping the solenoid (at best a temporary solution) or replace the starter motor.
Replacing the starter motor is a much more effective and longer lasting solution.
Some auto elecs offer a change-over service or can overhaul your starter motor.

Gary Pearce

The standard 1300 Junior starter motor is easily repairable and all parts are readily available at any reputable Auto Electrician. The solenoid cap, often the problem and diagnoised by giving the starter a tap is less than $30. However worn out brushes in the starter motor will give a similar symptom and also responds to the hammer tap too. So the moral of the story and the cheapest way is to take it off yourself and drop it around to an Auto elec for a check over. If the brushes are worn out, the bearings will be equally worn, along with the solenoid cap and probably the clutch drive. In that case a change over or a complete overhaul like Barry mentioned usually costs about 2/3rds of a new one.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

1300-GT-Junior

Thanks guys. Heading to the mechanic tomorrow (was going there for another issue)

dumb question but I can't even find where to tap, I know it is drivers side but that's it

how do I locate the area?

Barry Edmunds

Solenoid sits on top of the starter motor. Looks like a much smaller object than start motor.
See if you access a picture of a start motor to familiarise yourself with its appearance

MD

This has been covered before so you may want to do a topic search but quickly, once you install a new/rebuilt starter and/ or solenoid, get the electrician to install a relay from your ignition switch to power the solenoid so it gets a good current flow. A must if you want to save your ignition switch and get good starts.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0