159 JTD 2.4l - wobble under acceleration/load

Started by rmck1805, March 31, 2011, 11:09:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmck1805

I have a 2007 Alfa JTDm 2.4L that when accellerating normally, between 1,000-2000 rpm will wobble through the chaise .  This also occurs when tavelling at speed (~100km) and the car is going up a slight incline (hill).  I have replaced the tyres and the wooble is still there (and the rims are fine).  Afla has checked the CV joints and they are fine also.  I'm unsure what ths problem is, but when I google the symptoms - wobble, under load, car warm, long slow hill climb - I can find other Alfa 159 JTD owners with similar problems (but also other makes as well).

My guess using my google skill set, is that it's a problem with the "Dual Mass Flywheel".  But I would like your expert advice on this.

colcol

A dual mass flywheel has 3 parts, 1. The primary flywheel bolts to the crankshaft and carries the ring gear same as a solid flywheel, 2. The secondary flywheel provides the friction for the clutch friction plate to sit on, 3. The damper\spring system, this sits between the 2 flywheels and works like a big spring to absorb vibrations and pulsations from the engine, by stopping the harshness and noise at the flywheel, they are not transmitted to the gearbox, the springs on the friction plate are now on the flywheel.
  They first seen light of day back in the early 80's in European cars with high performance, high compression performance and diesel engines that had high pulsations that transfered noise to the gearbox and passenger compartment.
  If it is causing a problem, then the only thing to do is replace it as they are not a serviceable item, but be aware, they are more complex than a standard solid flywheel therefore, they are more expensive to buy.
  One solution in the trade is to go back to a conventional one piece flywheel, with cost savings, these are available for a range of cars from aftermarket spare part vendors, the initial cost is hidden in the new price of the car, but the replacement for these items when they go wrong are an unpleasant surprize for many motorists.
  The problem is usually the springs that have become weak with age or abuse and this will cause noise and vibrations to be transfered thru the car, but if its not causing an enormous problem, why not wait until the clutch actually wears out, Colin.

1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]