May I take Your Alfa Order Sir ?

Started by MD, March 10, 2011, 10:08:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MD

Doing a bit of mental doodling about what Alfa could do if the circumstances were right. To be innovative and go where very few manufacturers (if any)have or would go.

Imagine that you want to buy a new Alfa but given the factory's radical new venture, you can have whatever Alfa you like. It could be from their standard current model range if that is all you need. It could also be any past model they made (within reason) over say the last fifty years and only modified to comply with present saftey rules.

Imagine a brand new 1750/105 built by the factory to your favourite colour and trim specs sitting on the driveway.You want more, what about a Montreal? A new 101 rag top perhaps is your speed?

Finally, imagine that the factory catered for its true motor sport fans and let you specify up your new car and it would be made to order? Any model you like, configured that way you would make it yourself. Using all genuine Alfa parts and homolgated to your exact requirements.

Mmmm.....would you all please be quiet. I don't want this dream to end..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Paul Gulliver

MD,MD  Wake up Wake up your having another one of those bad dreams
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Darryl

Well, stretching things a bit (you are reopening Autodelta for special orders right?) and given I like 116 2ls, and V8s make mine a gtv 2000 33 stradale  ;).

Or I suppose while modifying with more current bits one could put a 3.2 V6 (not the GM one) in the ES30 SZ....

Aside from the fact I wouldn't even fit in one, I can't really see driving a 33 Stradale "road car" as being terribly practical but I'd be happy to try.

But then, for just getting around in style, I guess I could cope with an 8C 2900 of some sort - which coachbuilders are you reviving for the bodywork?

Decisions......

Darryl

Ok - none of my answers are within reason (except for the ES30?) but I guess what I'm getting at is:

1 to the max rwd rally car esq thing - a great GT for oz...

1 not so silly variation that isn't really suited to some of our roads but still usable to drive around town and for a blast on the smoother twisty bits (weekend track?).

Ok the 33 was just being silly.... But it is lightweight small rwd etc.... Would really need a bit of a rethink to fit modern humans in and pass modern crash tests....

And finally - I really think there is room for something like a production custom/rod style thing - which would look like a swoopy 30s coachbuilt beast, and if it has a supercharged straight 8 so much the better! Maybe turbo instead - tandem 1.4L multi airs comes out about right... how green :)

MD

What this dream caters for is to facilitate the normal supply of planed production Alfas that people can buy "off the shelf".

Is also caters for people like the tinkerers out there (you know who you are! ) who create project cars for themselves in pursuit of tailored performance but at all times it is all Alfa and not an orphan. eg. A Nissan SR20 engine substitue and the like.

It makes you wonder where the rules would apply. If a previously approved car say a 1750 /105 and currently registered is entitled to be on the road, why would a new one not have the same entitlements? (that should keep the bureaucrats busy). Stricly speaking it wouldn't be a "new model" now would it?

Now for my order, let's see....

1 A 2.0 litre Spica injection Giulia Super please, GTA brakes thanks

2 A turbo charged 1.8 litre 75. LSD tranny with 3.9 diff and GTA brakes please
3 To keep the other two company I'll take an original GTV6 with a twin spark box with a   4.3 final drive and upgraded brakes. Thank you

I would like one yellow, one black, and one red. The cheque is in the mail..

I have to get off this cheap South Australian red it's giving me strange ideas. Must try some of the Stanthorpe brews instead....er hello Andrew, Phil, Malcolm...
;D

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

redalfaracing

Quote from: MD on March 11, 2011, 08:53:20 AM

3 To keep the other two company I'll take an original GTV6 with a twin spark box with a   4.3 final drive and upgraded brakes. Thank you

Good choice MD, I already have a GTV6 with a twinspark box and a 4.3 final drive. The gta brakes are sitting next to it ready to instal.
If Alfa started producing  them today, i reckon they would be a sure winner
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Paul Gulliver

MD, Talking about the old days i thought you might find this refreshing ( luckily i didn't see any Alfa's).

Killed Myself When I Was Young
by The Jalopy Journal

http://vimeo.com/20247765

Gully

Paul Gulliver
Present

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

MD

Greg, you're a tinkerer and a dreamer, welcome to the club. :D

Paul, Refreshing  ???
Not really sure why this link is in this light hearted topic but I suppose maybe it is the need for in-car safety considerations? Well from my point of view, those contemplating the specification of a car built in yesteryear should factor in the hazards with their purchase.

I respect the Victorian Governmemt for being the first in the country to legislate for compulsory helmets for motorcyclists, safety belts in cars,the unique to Victoria pedestrian crossings and the banning of smoking in the workplace and banning of cigarette ads in sports grounds. I got no issues with safety advocacy.

In any case, the film clips refer to motor racing which we all know is regulated by cams today and so appropriate compliances would apply there that would consider safety factors.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Paul Gulliver

Sorry MD, I have just gone over to the window and drawn the curtains, I'm now sitting down inhaling hard on a "Camberwell Carrot".

Enough of that silly stuff , lets get back to the dream, where were we up to with  116 transaxle options???
Paul Gulliver
Present

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Sheldon McIntosh

WTF Paul??   There is some pretty horrific footage in that video, you should at least put a warning so people know before clicking on it.

Paul Gulliver

Your right Sheldon, what i couldn't believe was how many just dusted themselves off  and off they went again. Must have only been a flesh wound.  ( broken neck).

gully
Paul Gulliver
Present

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

MD

Goes to show you I would make a crappy spinn doctor. I cannot seem to pick OP's opinions.
I set this topic up thinking it might generate some discussion over the merrits (or otherwise)of the concept ideas themselves and less so about the car specs (initially).

Doesn't appear to be the case. Most enthusiasts must be happy with the status quo I guess.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Duk

I'll have a 75 with wider suspension (longer front arms, wider dedion. Higher front roll centre, more negative camber gain during bump and zero bump steer) to properly fill in the guards of the Evolution body kit. Coil overs on a suitably braced chassis. Digressive valve Bilstein dampers, all supplying a firm but bumpy road capable chassis balance.
16x8 and 16x9 wheels (probably something from Speedline).
Out board rear brakes with 4 piston calipers and an internal drum, hand brake. Obviously 4 piston front brakes too. Adjustable brake proportioning valve.
Carbon fibre front guards, bonnet and Evo body kit.

Engine, engine, engine hmmmmmmmmmm.............. Hydraulic cam bucket equipped 24 valve heads on top of a big bore 3.5 litre engine. Dual variable valve timing. Decent cams. I'll be semi-boring and go for a long, tapered runner inlet manifold that extends to the drivers side. On the passenger side of the engine would be a Rotrex supercharger. Long primary pipe extractors and twin 2.25" pipes under the car and try and squeeze a 3" system out the rear.
Potenziata gearbox but with a cable shift mechanism, light weight flywheels and a single piece carbon fibre tailshaft that uses a uni joint at the front and a CV joint at the gearbox.

An airconditioner and a ventilation system that works awesomely  8)