Sticky AFM - no start

Started by Al Campbell, February 01, 2011, 08:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Campbell

Another little factor to put on the “Won’t start” checklist.

My GTV6 wouldn’t fire after degreasing the plugs.

Fuel pump wasn’t operating. Double relay had been replaced a couple of years ago (when the fuel pump was always on), so didn't think it was that.

Worked out it  was the AFM micro switch by putting a jumper across the last two pins of the connector. I had been intending to change the tension on the flap spring to try and lean out the mixture a little, so I pulled the cover off the AFM and turned the wiper arm by hand. Car started fine on the next attempt.

Car had been sitting for a couple of weeks so I’m thinking the flap had stuck with the gummy oil and wasn’t moving off the rest.  I have cleaned the flap in the past so that was a bit of a surprise.

The wife wanted an ice Cream on Saturday night in the heat. I said: “Fine,  the ALFA needs a run.”  Got down the hill and around the corner. Car dies. Won’t fire. Nothing. Pop bonnet, I'd forgotten to plug the AFM connector back on. Wife’s opinion of the ALFA and the Husband down another couple of notches.

AL.

Duk

shane wescott

I feel your pain Al.

I once went to get the pregnant Wife a mars bar, same excuse "the Alfa", in that case a White 1750 Berlina, my first car, my first Italian Mistress, "needs a run".

One speeding fine later, courtesy of the QLD police, the Mars bar was purchased.

By the time I made it home the craving had changed to a jam donut.

I ate the Mars bar :-)
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750