WTB - 1976 Alfetta GTAm (tipo 116) 2litre SPICA

Started by Cool Jesus, January 27, 2011, 11:55:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

Hmm, did I poke a hornets nest?  yes, I was refering to a Bathurst GTAm, sorry for confusion....the car I am refering to sold for about 20ish a few years ago (4ish?).  It was only 2 years later and the guy was tlaking 50k...he'd done work to it etc etc.  Stuff's worth what people will pay I guess.  I also understand the sentimental thing, still perhaps given you are not chasing the exact car anyway, a tidy GT or GTV would stiull have the desired affect?  I can't recall seeing one of the 25 GTAm's for sale in the last ten years in Aus...Still it is amazing what turns up when you start asking questions and half the fun is the hunt I think.
cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

Davidm1600

Cheers Evan and absolutely no offence is taken as I know none was intended.  I know what you mean re the BB thread.  I agree on that thread people posting did indeed seem to get it all confused between the 116 and 105 GTams and in fact as I recall, many posting who perhaps should have known better actually stated that there was no such beast as a 116 GTam.  I think a part of the problem with the BB is that it can be at times very US centric.

Paul, however, was able to set the record straight, and yes I also know what you mean about the Evan Green car.  From memory Evan rallied the car not just in Europe but as well out here in a variety of events, including if my memory is correct not just in Aus. I recall that this car had a quite an amazing life. 

Anyway, onto Mike's recollections, yes I too recall a race prepared GTam being for sale, and listed in the AROCA Vic Magazine some years back for around the $20K mark.  As I think we all know race cars with significant history are another beast in terms of value compared to the more "relatively mundane" normal road car. 

I agree with Mike's suggestion, that perhaps for Cool Jesus the better option could be to turn up a nice GT or GTV in red, to rekindle the outlaws memories.  But yes I also understand the chase for the elusive car. Either way all the best of luck.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

ItalCarGuy

I agree Dave. Perhaps Cool Jesus could get the bits he needs to make his dream car? Especially if the wifey has given the go ahead. That's the hardest part!

Like these bits I found a guy had in the Uk when I was looking for bits for my brother's 79 Gtv

Turbodelta parts
•   full cage
•   various adjustable shocks
•   thick roll bar & springs
•   rose jointed parts
•   alloy tank
•   Autodelta Turbodelta engine with carbs having the correct pressure balancing tops, manifolds blow off valve etc
•   Other parts are what ever was taken from the shell, some parts with spherical joints
•   front suspension had coil overs with different wishbones, all the bits and bobs
•   Instruments, inc "Turbodelta" boost gauge, in a none standard dash.
•   a lot of wheels about 8 or 10 I think of 10" & 11" 4 stud Campagnolo as seen on the competition rally cars, infact they still have the red & yellow marking paint on from the competition days
•   Engine has all the ancilleries, turbo fed directly into carbs

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfetta-gtv6-1975-1986/174429-autodelta-turbodelta-gtv-rally-parts.html

alfagtv58

I belive the GTAm that was in WA now spends it's time in NSW...currently getting it's Bathurst war paint re-applied.

By the way, Christine Gibson spoke at a club night a year or two ago and was not too complimentary about the GTAm she drove in '76 Bathurst :) from memory Fred Gibson prepared a lot of Alfa's, but not Christines!!
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Cool Jesus

Holy Cow, what a response!
I never dreamed that I'd cause such a stir. This is great, should've hit the forums earlier than I did. Anyhow, forgive my formatting (newbie alert) but I'd just like to add a few comments.

Quote from: Mike on January 28, 2011, 12:24:22 PM
Hmm..rusting away...I doubt it... 

Mike clarified the 50k GTAm as the 116 version as opposed to the 105, which is where I have found in my research forums become constantly confused with. "Rusting away", check out the the thread and photo of the ebay item which I missed out on by a few years. The GTAm went for $500 and would have been perfect for the restore I'm attempting and I'm sure there'd be one or two more out there somewhere. Your're right about the 50k owner dreaming, but in his defence don't we all place a higher value on our beloved projects, compared to their true consumer value?

Most of the replies are on the money from what I've found on the web so I won't waste any time in confirming or otherwose. However, Evan pointed out one such chassis that did come up, as mentioned above, so I remain hopeful. Still waiting on those photos which I will definately post up. It was on AlaGTV6.com, photo attached.

http://www.alfagtv6.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1213&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Thanks again troops, keep me in mind if you come across one. Like it was pointed out by some, its not an investment item, just a sentimental one. I could easily freshen up a GT or GTV, but I'd prefer to have the GTAm compliance plate as the cherry on top.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

dehne

i might know somwone with one of these and if it is its rusting away there was also another on around that had the gt back grill and it was 4 sale for around 5-6 grand a few years back but i still see it driving around will find out for you
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Craig Sinclair

I can remember seeing one on Ebay some five years or so ago. It was photographed under cover in a fairly rudimentary shed amongst other cars. I distinctly remember the fact that it was fuel injected. Wasn't in great nick and the ask was somewhere around a grand. It was, from memory, in Northern NSW or southern QLD which was the barrier to me adding it to my collection of rescued GT's.
Current: 2012 Toyota 86
1976 Alfetta GT
Previous Alfa ownership:
1980 Alfetta Sedan
1977 Alfetta GTV
33 Quadrifoglio

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: dehne on January 29, 2011, 12:51:14 AM
i might know somwone with one of these and if it is its rusting away there was also another on around that had the gt back grill and it was 4 sale for around 5-6 grand a few years back but i still see it driving around will find out for you

Of course you do.  We are all eagerly waiting to find out more details on these two cars.  Incidentally, I think a few people are still waiting for you to give up the details of your supplier for the V6 axle bolts....

Anthony Sharp

For the record the Am in both the 105 and 116 GTAm stands for America, it denotes the cars are a US spec car with SPICA injection. The 105GTAm race cars where built from US spec cars and have body numbers that identify them as US spec (Am) cars, why they use US spec cars is simple to get injection in the build spec for the Homologation of the race car. Vin Sharp Has the homologation papers for these cars, just like the Group A GTV6 papers they show a bog standard car with full standard specs in this case a 105 1750 GTAm being almost the same as any other 105 1750 except it had a US pollution Spec motor with Spica injection. The papers then show a listing of the build spec for the race car which includes all the items where permitted under the rules as freedoms but had to appear in the papers such as the flairs, light weight parts, narrow angle twin plug head and so on. Note no road cars where ever built with these components. Only one Autodelta 105 1750 GTAm race car came to Australia that was the Brian Foley Chesterfield car now owned by Vin Sharp.

The 25 116 GTAm's that came to Australia where bog standard US spec road car,  2000 injected motor in a GT body, except that they  were right hand drive Homologation special, this is why they are rare. The only reason they came here was to allow Alfa to run the 116GTAm touring car Homologation spec at Bathurst these cars where much tamer the 105 GTAm race cars, the last shipment of road cars were delivered to their owners on the tarmac at Mascot airport, under CAMS supervision, them they contacted Sandown and allowed the race cars to start practice for the Hang Ten 500. Of all the 116 GTAm's that raced in Australia only one was built by Autodelta, that car was in Melbourne for a long time and was sold a few years ago  very cheaply for a works car at 20K it went to Western Australia.

The last car in the GTAm Australian story is the Evan Green Rally Car which was a full Autodelta Group 5 Rally GTAm, unlike the Bathurst cars this had the narrow angle twin plug head and was a much higher spec car, Green ran this car in Europe, Asia and Australia, he won Australian Championship events in it and came Second in the ARC. This car went on to become the first of Tony Edmonds Alfetta Sports Sedan in which he won his first Australian title, it was also the car he had his big accident in, he nearly died and the car did.

Cool Jesus

Quote from: Jekyll and Hyde on January 29, 2011, 01:30:25 PM
Quote from: dehne on January 29, 2011, 12:51:14 AM

Of course you do.  We are all eagerly waiting to find out more details on these two cars.  Incidentally, I think a few people are still waiting for you to give up the details of your supplier for the V6 axle bolts....
Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on January 29, 2011, 01:41:43 PM
And sud 1.2 gearbox...

Dehne, don't pay any attention to Sheldon or Dr. Jekyll's Mr Hyde, you go forth. I have faith in you !!!
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Cool Jesus on January 29, 2011, 03:22:16 PM
Dehne, don't pay any attention to Sheldon or Dr. Jekyll's Mr Hyde, you go forth. I have faith in you !!!

Wow, you are new here aren't you?

Cool Jesus

Quote from: Sheldon McIntosh on January 29, 2011, 03:30:03 PM
Quote from: Cool Jesus on January 29, 2011, 03:22:16 PM

Wow, you are new here aren't you?
Sheldon, dude, don't burst my bubble just yet!
Present:
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

dehne

sorry mate they are both plain GT's as for the axel bolts they are still trying to find a supplier and the 1.2 sud gearbox cant say i remember anything about that one
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Jekyll and Hyde

Quote from: dehne on January 29, 2011, 05:13:29 PM
sorry mate they are both plain GT's as for the axel bolts they are still trying to find a supplier and the 1.2 sud gearbox cant say i remember anything about that one

Let me help you out here...

Quote from: dehne on December 11, 2010, 12:28:23 PM
i will be one in bendigo a guy i know has nearly ever sud ever made he will have one

Taken from this thread: http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=6167.0