Alfetta - 1974 Mark 1 sedan restoration

Started by Mike, January 24, 2011, 09:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike

I've started a thread tonight on Alfa BB discussing my options with my Alfetta sedan, which can be seen here (pics etc):
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/newreply.php?do=postreply&t=175744

The basic gist is that I've bought back my childhood car, which was in very good restored condition, and now.....well, you can see from the pictures, if rust were a race...my car is in pole!

I'd like to put my feelers out on this forum for ideas/spares to do a high quality restoration of this car.  It's sentimental so I will not consider just getting a new shell, it has to be this shell or not at all.  What I don't know is whether I can get new panels (my preference) in Aus or over seas.  Perhaps some people on this forum have contacts for panel work or shells that can lend some steel!

I am quite prepared to send the shell to Melbourne if I have to to find a suitable panel beater, I really want to get the job done to an exceptional standard, butget wise that probably means I have to slowly collect panels first then move onto options, but often the good panel beaters have a que and I'd like to get in it.  Who has a good experience with italian vehicle restos?  Preferably an Alfetta sedan, but not critical.

Power train wise, I am thinking of pulling the whole lot out and replating / painting the lot so that you can eat your dinner of it (it's a long term plan).  Configuration wise I did think about dropping in the 3ltr quad cam, perhaps supercharged but I think I am coming to the conclusion that there is something very nice about a period, tidy vehicle lightly worked over.  Besides, the 1.8 liter is a very sweet engine and this one is especially nice, it's configuration is as follows:

45 delorto's
entended inlets
ported head
high comp pistons
wade cams
big valves (46mm intake from memory)
and a few other internal tweaks to bearings, oil pump, crank etc.

I'll have to dig up the history to remind myself what has been done.

Suspension wise it runs kind springs rear, stock front torsion bars and very large looking role bars which I think the owner before me installed (they are red).

Prop shaft wise it was quite funny, I was under the car the weekend after I picked it up replacing the clutch which had no drive (the flywheel and pressure plate were cracked and scored and...well..the wort I've ever seen) when I noticed that the front donut only had 2 bolts...and 2/3 of a donut to match...

Wheels are 5 stud as I did a conversion back then, but the front brakes are stock...just redrilled.  I'll use Alfa 90 calipers.  I guess the car will not be concourse, but that's not my thing, I appreciate it, but I like to make small improvements to a car as I go, so warm motor, better brakes and lsd will be about the extent of it....just nice.

Below if before and after (ie now)...

Interested in peoples thoughts.

Cheers
Mike

cars / projects:
Twinspark - Bonneville car build
85 GTV6 red
86 GTV6 3.2 quadcam on ITBs
Alfetta '74 sedan project
Alfetta '74 sedan 1 owner
'76 Alfetta GT blue
'76 Alfetta GT Twincharge
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb
Audi SQ5...well something has to run

Evan Bottcher

I noticed the other day that Highwood in the UK list Alfetta panels: http://www.highwoodalfa.com/8ed3bb5e-cd7f-4368-ab76-c0d9d18548e5-9.html

I also note that Alfa-service in Germany also supply some: http://www.alfa-service.com/index.php/cat/c1321_REPAIR-PANELS.html

I've had good experience dealing with Chris at Highwood, and heard good things about Alfa-service.

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

shane wescott

can also confirm the guys at Highwood are great.

Worth doing, worth doing right. I am sure the guys here will have some recs re trusted restorers, not sure if there are any listed as sponsors of the club but check that as well.

Good luck, and we would love to see it restored at a club run.
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

alfagtv58

Hi Mike,

Those early sedans are quite rare now, would be nice to see it retain the 1.8.....but of course you should do what makes you happy and want to use the car.

In regards to the paint & panel, Matt Francis had some bit and pieces (even a complete shell from memory) he was trying to move on, it may be worth trying to touch base with him.  And Rankins Restorations do sensational work (and knows Alfa's very well), and yes, he currently has a waiting list...

Good luck with it, I love those round headlight Alfetta Sedans.  Will be watching the progress  :)

edit; here is the link for Matts Alfetta, no idea if he still has it though...
http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=6345.msg36230#msg36230
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce - (WIP) Strada
1977 Alfetta GTV Group S - Corsa - For Sale (http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php/topic,9600.0.html)
2009 159 JTS Ti

Davidm1600

Well done Mike, you managed to get back your 2nd Alfa.  I remember the car well, as I still have the trumpets and socks stashed somewhere which I bought off you from the silver car.  From memory your first Alfa was the red/orange sedan which sadly I suspect met its maker a long time ago.   I always wondered what had happened to the silver one.  Didn't Robbie paint the silver one ?  You could always ask him if he might be interested in restoring it for you.  Despite your concerns about rust, from the photos you show, it doesn't actually look too bad, but perhaps it is rusty elsewhere. 

I am not sure if you know Sam Poynter, but he too is restoring a series 1 sedan.  He lives up in Mount Stuart.  Could be worth catching up with him sometime.

What you may or maynot recall, I too used to have a dark blue '76 sedan, stock original being the 3rd owner.  I ended up selling mine to Bauke Meijer, who installed all the running gear from the 90 that Norm wrote off.  Bauke then sold it on to Tristan, who still has the car today.

I knew when I bought mine that it had some relatively minor rust in the panel below the rear window and bootlid and as well in the front windscreen scuttle, as well as the bottom of the front guards where they meet the cills.  Apart from that it was excellent.

The V6 and running gear is a reasonably straight forward swap from what Bauke told me about, though a 3L would obviously offer a little more power and torque in comparison to the 2.5, as I am sure you would be aware of.

Tristan had the Alfetta restored by Kerry Quinn at Margate, which included removal of all the rust and replacement with new steel as well as a full respray.  It looks superb.  Before sending your car off to Melbourne, you might like to catch up with Tristan to check his car out.  Having owned both a '76 GT and sedan, in many ways I actually prefer the early sedan to the GT/GTV, but perhaps that is just me.

Two other options for new parts, include EB Spares (UK) and Ricambi Automobili in Holland.

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

spoynter

Looking good Mike :) That third photo looks like you lifted it straight from my thread on the BB!

Mike

Sadly Sam I can assure you I took that photo of my own rust...I wish it were yours ;-).

Thanks Dave, yes I knew your car, since baluky and I worked on it together at times.  I am well aware of what is needed for the v6 conversion, this car will keep it's 1.8 literh the mods, on club runs, I was always up Baulkies clacker, the modded 1.8 matched the stock v6, plus my handling was better for it.  I'll stick with period.

Already spoked with kerry Quinn, sadly, he is overloaded and can not offer his services for the forseable future.

No idea what happened to my red s2, it left my place on a trailor 12 years ago...I still have the ADR plate for it!

Good suggestions on the places to check, some I knew about, some not, so all helpfull.

the plot thickens
cheers
Mike
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Mike

Anyone know of panels in Aus for Alfetta?  I figure that a panel shop somewhere has access to NOS that's just been in a shed for eternity...
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Davidm1600

Cheers Mike. Good to know you were aware of what Bauke and thereafter Tristan did to the old girl. Yes, I suspect you are right re the relatively little difference in power output/handling between your old silver one and Tristan's car.  

The handling these days seems to be a little better than when Bauke had it, the one thing though that it does have is that V6 note  ;D, which the 4cyl can't quite match.  Having said that, I do understand the desire to keep yours a little more original.

A shame that Kerry can't help out, for he can do very nice work.  Geoff Storr has just had his replacement Targa GTV sprayed by Kerry.  Mind you it did take 5 months to get it completed.

I saw the other pics on the BB and sure there is some rust but on the other hand, these early sedans are kind of special and if possible I am sure yours would respond nicely.

Besides I reckon old Dougy would look most kindly down from the heavens on seeing the silver one being restored once more.    Good luck with the project.  

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Fetta GTV

Hi Mike

Give Tony Mckone a call at McKone Automotive 02 4577 5144
He may have some panels he could cut bits from to repair your panels
Been a while since I have seen him and cannot remember what he has lying around
He has a Mark 1 of his own
He has been the main source of parts for my GTV

Cheers
David
1979 Alfetta GTV
1986 Alfa Sprint 1.5 twin carb

Mike

Quotethe one thing though that it does have is that V6 note  , which the 4cyl can't quite match.

I tend to agree, but the sound of 45's the other day sucking, and the engine popping into life with one click had me longing for the 8000+rpm of the angry little 1.8L again.  As much fun as the Alfa 90 is and as good as the sound is, it is no match for the balance of a 4cyl car, you have to man handle it through corners ans you know theres a v6 up there.  I don't mind that, it's just a different way to drive, but i like the nimble feeling of the 4cyl more, it's mroe go-cart like.  Nope, it's 1.8 for me, not many of these left in 1.8 configuration.

If the Alfa 166 does not sell and I part it out, if the quad cam sits in the shed stareing at me long enough....perhaps...one day.
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Paul Newby

Mike,

I owned a 1975 "Series 1" Alfetta back in the 90s and helped a friend restore a 1976 "Series 2" Alfetta 1.8 a few years back. On both occasions I worked with my panel beater in assembly and disassembly. I loved my Alfetta sedan and only sold it to buy a GT and go racing. The guy I sold my Alfetta to still has it (after 12 years) and he uses it in classic rallys. It is a great car and he loves it.

I've had a look at your Alfetta photos of the Alfa BB forum and from what I see it doesn't look that bad, considering it has been outside for 10 years or so. I really don't think you need to look at purchasing new panels as a good panel beater should be able to patch up (most of) the rust in-situ. From what I can see you certainly won't need a new roof. Most of the rust is in these early Alfettas is around the front and rear screens. This is typical as the Series 1 Alfettas (and Alfetta GTs for that matter) have bonded in screens. Not only that they have these clips in there that go rusty and it is only a matter of time before the screen surround goes rusty. The first thing you do is get rid of the clips! You don't need them with today's modern adhesives. As for the windscreen itself I don't think you will have a problem sourcing a new one in Australia – you will probably need one because it is unlikely that you won't crack it when you take it out. As for the rust near the rear screen – they all rust like that. From what I recall it isn't too difficult to rectify. This had to be fixed in my Alfetta and I remember water did get into the interior – I had to take all of the carpet and underlay out and dry it so the floor didn't rust – my floor is totally solid and has never been welded. The only other panel that needed to be patched was the RHS front guard behind the splash guards. These splash guards were riveted from new and should be replaced with screws so that you can access them regularly so that you can remove leaves and the like.

Someone mentioned Tony McKone and he is still around and a good source of Alfetta bits – indeed he broke one of Alfetta sedans many year ago and probably still has the doors from this car stored in his warehouse. Finding interior and exterior trim and the like is the hardest bit now.

I had my Alfetta set up for supersprinting – it was lowered with Koni shocks. The best mod I did was fit early GTV6 front torsion bars – 23.6mm if I recall. This really transformed my Alfetta and it handled a lot better than my subsequent 75 Twin Spark.

As for propshafts, my Alfetta sedan had the original aluminium donuts that are now rare and expensive. I think my GT had the same and I replaced this with the shaft out of my 77 GTV wreck and now (after a couple of failures) it runs a late series shaft. Different shafts have different yokes on the end of the clutch with different lengths – it is pretty confusing knowing which goes with which – I've had this discussion with Tony McKone many times and I still get confused. Whatever you do get the shaft statically balanced before you put it back in.

Good luck with it all. The early Alfettas are the best in my opinion (best built and nicest to drive) and it was all downhill after that...

Paul
1974 2000 GT Veloce (Le Mans Blue) - Restoration project
1975 Alfetta GT (Periwinkle Blue Metallic) - Group S racer - Sold!
2009 147 Monza 3Dr (Kyalami Black) - Don't ask!
2010 VW Passat R36 Wagon (Biscay Blue) - Daily Driver
2015 VW Golf GTI Performance (Night Blue) - Wife's Runabout

Mike

Paul would you be able to put me onto the fellow you sold your car to?  i would like to chin wag on bits and bobs.  I am 'toying' with the idea of a Targa tas in it...after all, would be a shame to build it and sit it in the shed...I'm more of a sunday racer than a real competitor, just like the idea of opening the trottle wihtout having to watch for the law.

Good tips also, i appreciate it, and am enthused that you feel it can eb saved.  The more I look at the car the happier I become, it really is all in the screens, and whilst I do feel I need new panels, I think I will be able to find them.  The front rhs gaurd has fibreglass in it from the last repair (which has held up very well) so I would like to put a new rhs one back on.

So, where are the wrecks sitting and who wants to cut some panels out for me :-) !
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb
78 Ferrari gts
79 Ferrari gtb

Fetta GTV

Hi Mike
Have you tried Highwoodalfa.com.au
Had a quick look on their website, they have a few alfetta sedan panels
Couldnt remember if you said you had tried them

Cheers
DAvid
1979 Alfetta GTV
1986 Alfa Sprint 1.5 twin carb

Mike

Yup I have tried them, they do have some panels, but not the ones I need (appart from a front guard whihc they do have).  Actually I noticed that my boot lid is a mark 2 (push button type) which also does not have the 1.8 badge.  I'd like to try and hunt down a s1 boot lid while I am at it.  People, if you are out there and have Aussie leads for people stashing these panels let me know and I'll sniff around.  I don't want to be greedy, I'll just take what I need and if I can store some fetta panels for others in the future then i will do so as well.  I suspect Alfetta Sedans will become the rarer Alfettas, just like the Gulia Supers did (I think the early ones are already there).

cheers
Mike 
cars / projects:
85 GTV6 red
'76 Alfetta GT blue
Fiat 128 3P
78 Ferrari 308 gtb