(No subject)

Started by Storm_X, January 24, 2011, 07:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storm_X

Not needed
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

Neil Choi

You might want to specify which 116.

As far as I know, and I know not much, there might be three different 116 stub axles.

116 4 cylinder, smaller cone

116 GTV6, bigger cone

116 Giulietta, smaller cone, brake caliper brackets are closer and different to GTV4

Then I think 75 and 90 are similar to GTV6

Now, I know nothing so correct me.

Neil

Storm_X

its for a 116 giulietta. witch i dont think are common in adelaide  but mainly more of alfettas and gtvs.

i have heard the giuliettas are different but i dont know how.

Pretty much i have the hubs off a alfetta and i just need one upright so i can check if the rotors and calipers will fit ok on a dummy upright before i do it on the ones on the car.

Storm_X

whats so different to the caliper mounts ?? i thought all 116 had the same calipers and rotors  and even when re drilling ts/v6 rotors they bolt straight on also with the brembro calipers.

Storm_X

280x30 rotors and 4 pot calipers.

I just want to dummy fit the brakes to  an upright and then put it on the cars upright after i get them to fit and i cant see why if it wont go on the gtv/alfetta oupright then bolt onto a giulietta one ?? They have the same calipers and rotors etc. Well this is what i thought, i may be wrong.

BradGTV

79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

bt46

As far as I am awear there are three different stub axles......early GTV up to about 1980 (or there abouts) GTV from about 1980 onwards and then all Ventilated disc cars. There is a difference in the shaft/axle on the stub axle itself. I once had a gtv with two different inner wheel bearings early/late which was a pain....always happy to be corrected...?

Edit :the gtv6 hubs might fit onto the late modle stub axles because they have the same bearing part numbers so that would make two kinds but im just not sure. Gtv 6 hubs do not fit onto stub axles 1974 -1980. I have no idea about the gulietta but if thats another then that would make three variations.

Storm_X

i Seriously don't understand whats so different ?? they share the same rotors and calipers don't they ?

and Brad  the brakes off your gtv i was going to buy off you, correct me if I'm wrong but you said they should fit on my Giulietta.

Storm_X

i have a friend that programs the machines for JP engineering. http://www.jp.com.au/

Storm_X

Anyway i dont care if there different.

I have spare hubs to play around/wreck with but i dont have a spare upright to chop at. And im not going to hack away at my original uprughts.

I want to keep the giulietta uprights but i want to see if the caliper and rotors clear everything, get all mounted etc.

I WILL NOT BE PUTTING THE ALFETTA OR GTV UPRIGHTS ON. i just want to know if they clear everyting and what i have to mod correctly so its perfect the 2nd time on the (original giulietta uprights)

MD

Storm_X

Can I help with a few suggestions? From what I understand of the conversation you want to experiment modifying the Alfa upright to accommodate a non original rotor and caliper?

The usual practice is to leave the upright EXACTLY as it is. So no, do nothing to your Giulietta uprights. Leave them alone.

Modify the caliper to suit the alignments or introduce a conversion plate (adaptor plate) to fix any mounting misalignments and rotor alignments.

Just remove your wheels and work on your own car and uprights where they are. No need to get any spare ones or be concerned about any possible mismatch. You can make mock up conversion plates from "Craftwood" for trial an error and once you are there, make your actual plates.

So with you original hubs in place, it is easy enough to see where your proposed new rotor will sit. If the bolts dont line up, press them out and try the rotor again. All the time you are working with your own stuff so no errors from incompatible parts to worry about.

Just keep in mind that increasing caliper sizes will usually require more fluid which in turn may need an upgrade to your mastercylinder. You  will soon know once you test it if the pedal travel is too long or not.

I hope that helps.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Storm_X

Quote from: MD on January 25, 2011, 07:35:37 PM
Storm_X

Can I help with a few suggestions? From what I understand of the conversation you want to experiment modifying the Alfa upright to accommodate a non original rotor and caliper?

The usual practice is to leave the upright EXACTLY as it is. So no, do nothing to your Giulietta uprights. Leave them alone.

Modify the caliper to suit the alignments or introduce a conversion plate (adaptor plate) to fix any mounting misalignments and rotor alignments.

Just remove your wheels and work on your own car and uprights where they are. No need to get any spare ones or be concerned about any possible mismatch. You can make mock up conversion plates from "Craftwood" for trial an error and once you are there, make your actual plates.

So with you original hubs in place, it is easy enough to see where your proposed new rotor will sit. If the bolts dont line up, press them out and try the rotor again. All the time you are working with your own stuff so no errors from incompatible parts to worry about.

Just keep in mind that increasing caliper sizes will usually require more fluid which in turn may need an upgrade to your mastercylinder. You  will soon know once you test it if the pedal travel is too long or not.

I hope that helps.

Thanks for the info MD

I found a alfetta upright here and all i need to do is make a adaptor plate for the calipers.

BradGTV

caliper adapters? what calipers are you planning to use?
volvo bolts straight on, i wouldnt waste my time with anything else unless 6 pot  ;D
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

Storm_X

i know alot of 4 pot calipers that would b better then the volvo, yes they cost more but most of them are alloy and not cast.