105 series 50th Anniversary Celebration Tour - Tasmania 2013

Started by Mark Baigent, January 18, 2011, 07:43:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Hanslow

Many good ideas here and I am sure a great tiur will happen.

Howver we have been given a window of opportunity for 2012 in orgainising Alfersta.

It would be great to have a wek long drive but if at any other time etc, then it impacts on the Alfesta organisers for that year.

For me if I had the time I would go any way.  Drove around the island 2 years ago and going down south again early April -  Hobart to Wineglass Bay - the best roads around there.

Cheers
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

ChrisGTA

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Davidm1750 on January 20, 2011, 02:41:33 PM
Now, and just for the record, I have consulted my books (I do have a few ;D) on the topic of 105s and according to John Tiplers book Alfa Romeo Berlinas, the design for the Giulia Ti was completed by April 1961 with it launched in June 1962 at Monza, so I guess that means the 50th anniversary for the 105 Giulia sedan is 2012, not 2013.  The Giulia Sprint GT was introduced in 1963 and so its 50th anniversary is 2013. 

FWIW (not a lot) I believe the Sprint, Spider, and SS were all updated in 1962 to the Giulia engine as well.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Victor Lee

Possible timetable:

Thursday  5 April 2012:  Meet at Pt Melbourne for evening sailing to Tas.
Easter Fri  6 April 2012:  Arrrive in Tas and begin tour around in one region.  Overnight stay in "A"
Easter Sat 7 April 2012:  Tour around in one region and overnight stay in "A"
Easter Sun 8 April 2012:  Move to another region in Tas and overnight stay in "B"
Easter Mon 9 April 2012:  Continue tour in region with overnight stay in "B"
Tuesday    10 April 2012:  Leave Tassie / or stay longer!
Wednesday 11 April 2012: Arrive in Melb.

"A" and  "B" will be the two accomodation locations.

Targa 2012 will be April 17 to 22; so there will be not clash with us.

I envisage that this trip will be different to an Alfesta in the sense that we will source accommodation options and attendees will book directly with the motel.  You will also pay the Spirit Of Tasmania direct.  The Club may organise the main meals so payment will be to the Club.
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb

Mark Baigent

I'm just delighted that there has been such an amazing response to my proposal to host a 50th Anniversary of the 105 Celebration Tour (ideal name pending) in Tasmania. Looks like David in Hobart is full of beans for the idea too, as is AROCA Vic through Victor Lee and many others - thanks guys !

I'm thinking from the number of responses and concepts being mooted around an Alfesta alternative, that this is well on the way to going somewhere though it would be great to hear from other AROCA State Club reps that they too are comfortable with the emerging concepts, dates and location as participation is the ultimate goal - I'd love to see 100 x 105's at least (too big an aspiration ?) come to Tassie and I'm sure all participants would have a permanent memory etched in their minds if they were able to be a part of a convoy of that size!

I'll begin the process of formalising discussions with AROCA Vic and CMI (Club Motori Italia) Hobart and ICE (Italian Car Enthusiasts of Tasmania) Launceston, to map out a strategic direction and lock some of the basic parameters into place.

As for the correct year I think the celebration would be valid in either 2012 or 2013 but more appropriately in 2013.

Let me explain ..... The beloved Giulia Sedan ("the box car" as my wife calls our treasured 1972 Giulia 1300 Super!) was born under a 105 tipo (as of 1962) but morphed into both a car carrying two tipos by 1970 - eg: (Giulia Super - a 105) AND the (Giulia 1300 Super a 115).

The first 105 series car was indeed the Giulia TI which was introduced to the press on 27th June 1962 but in reality it did not become available to the general market in most countries until late 1962, so few owners would have driven or been able to get their hands on the first '105 series' in 1962. One could debate whether an anniversary date should be set based upon when the design was released, the date of launch to the press, the date of production commencement or the date of vehicle availability on showroom floors.?

Of course after first appearing in 1962 the 105 series designation quickly spread to the Giulia TZ1('63), the Giulia TI Super('64), Giulia 1300 Berlina('64), the GTC('65), the Giulia Super ('65), Giulia GTA('65), the Giulia GT Veloce('65) the 1750 Spider Veloce ('67) and so on until by 1969 the ONLY series Alfa Romeo was producing was the 105 tipo in all it's derivations. All other tipo designations had by that year ceased and it continued that way until 1972 when the Giulia 1300 Super was allocated a 115 tipo.

But back to the issue at hand - the 1962 Giulia TI mechanicals AND body came out of Portello, it was the wrong shape, it was designed in house at Alfa Romeo and it was a 4 door sedan. Stay with me ... I'm dealing with perception here ...

The Giulia Sprint GT was released to the foreign press on 9th September 1963 and thereafter at the Frankfurt Motor Show. It was the first model entirely manufactured in the new Arease works with the exception of the mechanical units which were still shared with the Giulia TI and were still supplied by the  Portello works. Most importantly it was designed by the genius Giorgetto Giugario at just 24 yrs of age. His name is of course synonymous with 105's, but because he was with Bertone at the time it was Bertone's name that ended up on the lower front guard.

I would proffer that it is the Giulia Sprint GT of 1963 that is considered by most to be the first true 105 ... it was a coupe, it wore the Grand Touring (GT) designation, it was designed by Giugario and it was built at Arese and it's derivations never carried another tipo as the Giulia sedan did.

Ask any classic car enthusiast not associated with Alfa Romeo what a 105 looks like and he'll point to a GT coupe shape every time. Dozens of motoring books dedicated to the Giulia GT support the perception, acknowledging the extraordinary Giulia TI, but quickly passing it by to wax lyrical about the coupes, now more often than not simply known as 105's. No other Alfa Romeo shape is as affectionately known by it's tipo number alone.   

As I first suggested think the celebration would be valid in either 2012 or 2013, but perhaps more appropriately in 2013. Regardless of the fascinating history I say may a celebration of this much loved series roll whatever the year. ! ... and if 2012 appears most viable to ensure the biggest celebration possible then so be it! ... Ciao.

Mark Baigent - Italian Car Enthusiasts of Tasmania - AROCA Vic, Member No 4158 - Past President AROCA Qld, Member No 105.   

Davidm1600

Hi all, just a quick update on this matter to keep it live and hopefully on people's radar.   I spoke this morning to the Shannons rep (Rodney Belbin) and mentioned the proposed concept and to see if he thought they would like to be involved.  In short, yes definitely they would be keen to support it.  So perhaps we all might like to think what exactly by way of support/promotion we might like to seek from them. 

He also provided me with the name/contact ph number for Tas Vacations (part of Tourism Tas) and apparently this is precisely the sort of thing they help out with in terms of seeking group discounts on accomodation, restaurants, and other venues.  They also can provide details in term of road closures, identification of possible routes etc.

I will give the guy and have a quick chat to him about the ideas being floated.  One thing though, in the nearish future I am sure it would be good to try to set a date/year for this, if you wish to proceed with the idea.

Another thing of note that perhaps some of you might like to consider is that between 1-3 April this year (before Targa), the Longford Revival Festival is going to be held to commemorate the old Longford racing circuit.  Do a Google on this and you will see some info on the event.  In speaking with Rodney, he mentioned to me that as a concept the idea is to kind of have an event similar in spirit to the Goodwood Revival meeting in the UK. 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

ChrisGTA

For info, it is organised by Octagon (ie Targa Tasmania etc) as their third annual event under a 2011-13 sponsorship deal with the Tasmanian Government.

While they are aiming for a "revival" 60s atmosphere like Goodwood Revival, the event program is more comparable to Goodwood Festival of Speed with demonstrations along the flying mile rather than racing. Very spectator focussed ;D

http://longfordrevival.com.au/

edit: For some history.. http://www.tasman-series.com/tracks/longford/longford.asp

Evan Bottcher

I'd heard a bit about the Longford circuit, but never seen any footage.  Youtube is a wonderful thing...

I remember reading somewhere that the surface of one of the bridges was timber, and the planks would almost fly off as the cars went over  :o
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Davidm1600

Chris, I know it is being organised by Octagon, but as well Shannons are having a show and shine, and are anticipating up to 150 classic cars.  Apparently, Jack Brabbam, Bob Jane, John Sirtees, etc will hopefully be attending.  Jim Richards will be there and a chap by the name of Rob Sherrard (co-founder of Virgin Blue) will have his classic car collection on display including an original AC Cobra, Eddie Cheevers F1 race car etc etc.

Yes you are correct that they will be using the Flying Mile for demonstration runs with cars that raced there in the '60s or similar, but as well, they are encouraging people to attend in period clothing, have period displays etc, (Which in part is like the Goodwood Revival Meeting), I know as I attended the 2002 event.  I wish it were possible for the whole track to be able to be used but significant parts of it have been lost, and so hence it is not possible to have races.  A real shame, as Longford was a fantastic event in its time, so I have heard from people who attended it.

So I guess in a sense it is bit of both.  The main thing is that if well attended and supported it is an event which hopefully can grow. 

Evan you are correct, except there used to be two wooden bridges and they used to have divers at the waters edge if a car were unfortunate enough to go over the edge.  Not sure if they ever did. 

All the major drivers of the 60s both here in Aus and also from the UK raced there and supposedly raved about the circuit.

Now back to the hopeful Alfa tour of Tassie :) to celebrate the 105's 50th Anniversary as this is the main purpose of this thread.  Sorry for the distraction.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

David Mills

Well done gentlemen.  You have my full support in this proposal.  So much so, it is the first topic which inspired me to register for the forum!

Tassie would love to see many more Alfas than the two we managed at Salamanca a couple of weeks ago.

Davidm1600

Hi David, nice to see the Zagato out and about, a pity I missed it, but at least it was in good company with my brother in law's Giulia Super.  What was the display for.  Glad to hear you too are interested in the idea of a tour of Tassie by AROCA.

If you are keen to perhaps bring it out again and were available, we (Club Motori Italia) are helping out the Italian Club with its Fiesta day, to be held in Federal Street, North Hobart, in putting together a car and Italian bike display on the 20th Feb.  PM me if you are interested and I can provide you with more details.

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Brad M

Quote from: David Mills on February 01, 2011, 12:21:09 PM
Tassie would love to see many more Alfas than the two we managed at Salamanca a couple of weeks ago.

Looks like two pretty nice examples though :) welcome
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

Mark Baigent

David,

Welcome to the Forum !!!! I was hoping you'd connect sooner or later. Lovely to see the Gransport 4R on display aside another superb classic. It's nice to have more Tasmanian car enthusiasts express the enthusiasm for the 105 Celebration Tour Concept and encourage our "big island" enthusiasts to become involved and be assured that it will be an event worth attending.

Victor Lee is working with the state clubs to determine a suitable date for all and discuss logistics and possible club support. David M from CMI Hobart is right behind it as are all the team in ICE (Italian Car Enthusiasts) in Launceston. The National Automobile Museum of Tasmania of which I am a board member has also expressed support along with Shannons and The Examiner newspaper, so we're well on the way.

Keep in touch and share any ideas you have on this thread so we can build the event to a possible equal to the many superb events run by AROCA during the 100th Anniversary in 2010. Ciao from Mark Baigent.   

Mark Baigent

So how are things progressing with this proposal for a 105 50th Anniversary Celebration Tour ?
Which dates are appearing optimal ? 2012 or 2013 ? An Alfesta alternative in 2012 or a stand alone event in either year ??
Looking forward to hearing from AROCA Vic and other state clubs so we (all Alfa enthusiasts in Tasmania) can start putting the resources behind you to make it an unforgettable event ! Millie Grazie ..... MARK

Victor Lee

Hi all,

The proposed trip is Easter 2012 in place of the traditional national gathering "Alfesta" at Easter.  I am still waiting for approval from three State Divisions before giving the go-ahead, which I hope to receive shortly.

Stay tuned for updates!

Cheers

Victor
Current Alfas:  Alfa 159 3.2lt Q4; Alfetta GTV6; ES30 SZ (all V6s!);  2015 4C LE.
Past Alfas:      '02 156 2.0lt JTS; '84 Alfetta GTV6; '82 Alfetta GTV 2.0; '85 Alfa 33 1.5 GCL single carb