Fuel Consumption/Type

Started by Alfalfa, July 16, 2007, 06:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alfalfa

Hey guys, a few questions i can't seem to find the answer for.

2.0 GTV- originally designed for leaded petrol right, so does that mean you need to put in an additive every time you fill up?

I've heard that GTV6's drink like no other, but according to the stats i've seen, its not all that bad. like 550kms out of a full tank...

Obviously a 4 cylinder will be more fuel efficient than a 6 but is there really that much of a difference with these two?

Thanks,
          Christian
Current:
2009 Ford Focus XR5T
1982 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (out to stud)

Previous:
1986 Nissan Pintara Shaggin Wagon

a sharp

Christian
The 2.0 GTV will do about 30mpg at 100km/h and a little better at 130 in bygone eras before the police had blow dryers.
But I once got 6mpg out of a 2.0 GTV over a mountain pass, so it all comes down to how you drive. The V6 will do about the same, but once again it all comes down to how much lead is in your foot. It is hard not to get carried away in a 2.0 GTV and near imposible in a V6, there well might be nothing quite like a V8. but nothing sounds better then a V6 Alfa at 6000 rpm. it has been voted the best sounding engine in a production car by motor writer for years.

Jekyll and Hyde

My 2 litre uses 15L/100km regardless of how you drive it, but the carbies are in fairly bad condition, and run pretty rich....

Alfalfa

thanks for that guys, that helped a lot!
Current:
2009 Ford Focus XR5T
1982 Alfetta GTV 2.0 (out to stud)

Previous:
1986 Nissan Pintara Shaggin Wagon

Sheldon McIntosh

My 2.5 V6 used to get between 15-17 l/100km around the city, and if i was lucky 12l/100km with a bit of open road stuff. 

I did get from Sydney to Albury in one tank last summer, which worked out to just under 10l/100km from memory.  I did have a can of petrol with me though, so I knew I could push the limits a bit.  Wouldn't recommend it otherwise, she was starting to stutter a bit.  Great way to give the missus the shits though, as she didn't know I had a can with me.  "Why is the car doing that?"  "Oh, it's just running out of petrol..."   "But we're in the middle of nowhere..".    "She'll be right....."

It's pretty poor consumption really isn't it?  Especially when you're using BP Ultimate every time.  Ah well.  Who buys an Alfa for it's economy?

Evan Bottcher

Quote2.0 GTV- originally designed for leaded petrol right, so does that mean you need to put in an additive every time you fill up?

There's some more info on unleaded petrol here, hope this helps:

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,68/topic,231.msg1579/#msg1579

For what it's worth, I run our '77 Alfasud on BP Ultimate (98 octane), and the '85 33 on premium (95 octane) without any pinging.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Doug Gould

Fuel consumption questions for a GTV6? You guys don't know your alive. My GTV6 would get twice the range of the Montreal. Its 2.6 litre V8 gets worse consumption than a current Gen III 6 litre Holden V8 and about the same as a current 5.8 litre lexus LX470 (Landcruiser). Small price to pay to sit behind that bonnet though.

Doug Gould
08 159 JTS
07 Brera
85 GTV6
72 Montreal
65 2600 Sprint
60 VW Beetle

Sheldon McIntosh

I'm sure anyone with a 6 litre Holden (isn't that the Gen IV) or a Lexus V8 would happily pay double if their cars sounded half as good as a Montreal.  Hang on, what am I saying, they bought a Holden/Lexus in the first place......